mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE THE LATEST THREAD REGARDING THE GATLIGHT (or Gatling LIght) is here

This is an official sign up list for the Gattling light, as discussed in this post here, details about how this light came to be are posted here:
link

Here is what the light will look like:
(Patent pending) (Details about detailed features are further down in this post (where you see the same image as posted below)

FlashlightFinal.jpg

The characteristics of the light:
LED: LuxeonIII @ 1000mA or Luxeon K2 @ 1000mA (when available)

Water sealed IP67 (you can drop it into water while it is on)

Design: exposed battery and optics (you can touch them through the rods) however the light is fully water sealed. For details, or questions please use the thread above. The advantage of the rod design is that it has several times the heat sink area of regular lights, dramatic unique design.

Driver: Constant Current Regulated

Battery: R123 - rechargeable (or a longer PILA battery)

Battery can be removed by push

ing in the back and doing a 30 degree turn. The light is turned on by rotating the knob in the back.

Price Range: Target is US$150 excluding shipping for Alluminum. The costs of a Titanium version are to be determined (at which pont you can decide whether you want to stick with Titanium or not).

Options: Also in discussion is a 3 custom membrane switch version with brightness regulation in the center of the light. The costs of that version would be USD 250 due to the large upfront investment to have the membrane switches made.

To sign up please scroll down in this THREAD until you see the same image showing the light from the front and back. There is all the instructions regarding costs and FINAL features (some changed to what was listed in this first post).

Last edited:

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Sign Up for the \"Gattling\" (Flashlight reinvented)

#1 here i come!

PM Sent,, $150 version please.

Shane

jmy808

Newly Enlightened

mobile1,
Would you please enlighten me as to what a K2 Version is?
Thanks n Regards,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifJay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

The K2's are the new LEDs coming out from lumileds. More effecient + brighter.

mobile1, I haven't been following the previous threads completely, but wasn't this originally proposed with a 5w?

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have just sent you a PM with my "sign up" information! Put me down for number 2(?)!!
Karl

Dr_Joe

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/paypal.gif Does that make me #3 ?

rhutchinson

Newly Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/paypal.gif
I'm in!

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Sign Up for the \"Gattling\" (Flashlight reinven

Yes the light was originally proposed with a 5W. Some explained it already, but here again in more detail.

If you want the brightness of a Lux V. Go for the K2 and you get not only the same (or more) brightness but also higher efficiency, much longer life span, longer runtimes, and it can withstand much higher temperatures. With the K2 the LuxV is obsolete.

So using a Lux V didnt make sense when the K2 got announced especially since the Vf is much closer to a LuxIII then a LuxV - meaning we can use pretty much the same driver.

Thanks to everyone signing up so far. I was asked why this might be a limited run.

Here is the answer. The goal of the first run is not to make money but to pay for the development of the first run of this light. So the professional designer I hired to make sure the light works as announced needs to get paid. Also the goal is to have lights available to create marketing materials, as well as have prototypes available that can be shown to potential future customers, dealers etc. Also I would like to send some out to people here on CPF so they can test and evaluate the light.

When regular production starts, the goal IS to earn some money with this light, which means the price will most likely be higher.

Also it might be that certain parts are limited, for example the K2, that I can only get a small number of those new LED's. They will be assigend based on the order of sign up.

Then serialization is determined by the sign up order as well (if we can add a serial number - which I plan to)

Also timing. Once we start with production for the first run, even if you order one then, it might take several months (up to half a year) until we do a second run (for larger orders).

That's how the plan is.

indenial

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/paypal.gif for USD$50.00 for 3 membrane version if available

A couple of questions:

1. Will you publish a list here of those of us who've made a pre-payment so we can determine our order?

2.Are you certain "Gattling" is not a registered trademark?

Thanks!

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast

The k2 might be here q4 of 2005 or q4 of 2027.

Perhaps you've access to other info but I'd be the last person to sign up for a computer using next years processor. You know what they say: "a bird in the hand is worth two in the xray lithography machine (or whatever they use now)"

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill just point out that the k2 is vaporware until they're actually shipping.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast

xochi That's why you have the option to order a LuxIII. And maybe I have access to other info... However it is true what you say. I -probably- won't send out K2 lights until they are available.But that's why I offer options.

[indenial] Yes after the week end I publish the list with who paid at what point in time and what configuration is needed. Regarding trademark etc., I havent looked into all that, at this stage I dont want to make the light more expensive for this first run. The Gattling light is more a project name. I might call it the Rod Light, or the Cell, or something else (whatever is available). I'll deal with that after we have the first run and do the marketing stuff.

From you I still need to know whether you want a K2 or LuxIII version and your email address (please send to me by PM). If it was included in the info you sent me, let me know.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would like some more info on the 3 membrane setup. Size still the same? What type of UI does it incorporate? Also, is there a lens in this light or is it lens-free?

Thanks,
Jeff

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast

xpitxbullx Thanks for your interest. To your questions.
-The 3 membrane setup would be 3 buttons. 1 button to turn it on /off, one to make it brighter, one to decrease brightness. It would be integrated into the center section. However first we work on the fixed brightness version. The membrane switch requires an initial investment of over USD1000. So depending on the interest we will offer this option or not.

UI: constant current, and brightness regulation would be based on fequency modulatoon of the diode circuit (that's all I know). If you need a more detailed description let me know and I forward the question to the designer of the driver.

Lens: The light is using an exposed NX05 optic. So no lens needed or planned since the optics is closed in the front.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just sent you a PM--in case the "membrane" light version does not seem to develop enough interest, I would want to be included on the single-level version list. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Karl

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast

So far (July 20th, 3pm) I have fully signed up with prepayment made (in this order and priority)
Signed up
1) ChocolateLab33
2) Dr_Joe
3) flex76italy
4) rhutchinson
5) Wasabe64
6) indenial
7) JimH
Karlthev: Cash or Check in the mail

Others:
Hallis: waiting for PayPal Payment
fore: ???