PeakLED Kino Bay review - flashlightreviews.com

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: PeakLED Kino Bay review - flashlightreviews.co

I have added NiMH and Lithium AA graphs to the review.

It looks suspiciously like the graph on the Kino Bay page on the Peak site was run with a Lithium AA. The graph on the Peak site most closely follows the graph of my Lithium Runtime test of the Kino, not my alkaline test... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I could be wrong...

Cmoore

Enlightened

Informative multiple-battery-type runtime graphs Doug; thanks!

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

err, out of topic a bit. But i thought it worth mentioning that the link to the kino bay from your review_index_page points to a broken link. But the direct link from your post works /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
Also, that page says the kino uses 1 123 cell, while your rev page says it uses 1AA. Wonder which one is the right one

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

1 hour of even output from a 2300mAH NiMH is great! The graph seems to be a typical current regulator evenness of output with the NiMH. Could it be that an alkaline just pukes due to excessive internal resistance. Use an alkaline in an emergency but feed it NiMH or lithiums normally?
Now the big question, is the brightness the same with a NiMH battery or is it lower than the initial brightness of the alkaline or lithium battery? If it is close to the same, the Kino Bay would be a great light for guilt-free rechargable lumens.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

From the three graphs published by Quickbeam, I understand the current draw from the cell must be around 1.7 Amps.

With an alkaline cell, this account for an unnecessary high loss due to Ri of the cell.
By doing a quick efficiency calculations of the power converter, and supposing the Luxeon be driven at spec, I get a figure around 50%.
The low efficiency of the converter, and the low power transfer from the battery account for a total loss of about 75%. It means that 75% of the energy of the alkaline AA cell is lost. The total loss figure is 50% for lithium and NiMH.

From an engineering point of view, it would be much better to drive a Lux III at 200 mA, by using a low - loss power converter, if the power source is an alkaline AA cell.
This would limit the current draw from the AA cell to 600 mA, thus providing 1.5 hrs runtime at 50%. A 2500 mA NiMh would run 4 hrs, same as a lithium primary.

Hope Peak is listening... I am eagerly waiting for a Luxeon based light, powered from a single AA.

Anthony

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
1 hour of even output from a 2300mAH NiMH is great! The graph seems to be a typical current regulator evenness of output with the NiMH. Could it be that an alkaline just pukes due to excessive internal resistance. Use an alkaline in an emergency but feed it NiMH or lithiums normally?
Now the big question, is the brightness the same with a NiMH battery or is it lower than the initial brightness of the alkaline or lithium battery? If it is close to the same, the Kino Bay would be a great light for guilt-free rechargable lumens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this light could be perfect for a rechargeable pocket light especially with my idea. I've got the SS version that im reviewing(will be posting many pics and review within the week) and I noticed that the brass contact point in the tailcap runs all the way through to where if you unscrew the split ring/keychain attachment point you can see it.. So my idea????? Have a charger/charger cord with a screw-in end that would screw into the tailcap just as the keychain thing does. That way you could possibly recharge the light without having to remove the battery.

I have spoken with Peak and they actually did the brass contact 'slug' this way to accomodate different sized AA cells! yes it's an adjustable slug and can be fully removed. (again, i will post pics of this soon in my review post).

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
From the three graphs published by Quickbeam, I understand the current draw from the cell must be around 1.7 Amps.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my case, Current draw is 500 mA on Hot off Charger Ni-MH Cell and 800 mA of a Fresh Alkaline.

My Runtimes are much more high than the stated values. Although My "eyeball-o-meter" is not that accurate, still it did register 4 Hours on Higher O/P and then switch over to moon mode and lasted 5 hours of "MoonMode"

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

Viren,

At this point I'll buy a couple. 500 mA on a 2500 mA NiMH indicates a runtime of 4 -5 hrs, unless there is a non-linearity in the power converter that shuts off when there is still energy in the cell.

Thanks

Anthony

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just did second runtime test.. this time with 2000 mAH Duracell Accu Rechargables...

The runtime is about 4 hrs on High... and i got bored... so didnt do the runtime test for the "moon mode" i did not continue for more than 8 hours total....

In Moon Mode, Let me clarify that the O/p is much more than 3 LED Ultra Power.. just mentioned so as to give a comparitive o/p idea.