My Quick Arc vs. Peak Review (Hi-Res Pictures)

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Arc4-AAA and Peak Matterhorn Ultra Snow

Please note the intent of this is not to start a product war or anything negative along those lines. This is strickly a matter-of-fact report of the results I've found by testing both products. In my opinion, there are pluses and minuses with both Arc and Peak.

My chart is not completed, since I'm waiting for the results of the E2 Lithium runtime tests for both Peak products. I'll update this master graph once those tests are completed.

1. Arc-wider flood of useable light.
2. Peak-longer throw.
3. Arc-longer brighter runtime.
4. Peak-longer overall runtime.
5. Arc-slight blueish tint.
6. Peak-whiter, but not totally white.

PEAK4.JPG

Here's the same data plotted to only a 5-hour graph.

PEAK5.JPG

Left to Right: Peak 1xLED Ultra Snow, Peak 3xLED Ultra Snow, Arc4-AAA Premium.

PIC1.JPG

PIC2.JPG

PIC3.JPG

PIC4.JPG

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
this_is_nascar: Nice Pictures....

Sure, Peak Throws More (as compared with Arc) & Has Less SideSpill.

The current Pictures Approximate the Side Spill Very nicely. at the same time it is saturating the Camera Lens that's what makes the "Center Hot Spot" look more bright (than actually they are)... blinding the Camera Sensor. If you can put a picture with DownSampling the Exposure, It would be great. Since you have all the Three Lights.

Casio ... Z3 Has that setting .. Currently Exposure time is 1/2 Second ... if you can tune down the Exposure to 1/90 Sec or 1/100 Sec... that will give a good approximation for the Tint... & Light O/P

bucken

Enlightened
this_is_nascar,

Thank you for the fair and informative comparisons. I personally like the additional sidespill from the Arc AAA. Others, of course, may have a different personal choice.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
This Is Nascar,

Thank You very much for the review, it is appreciated.

I have been heavily considering purchasing the Arc, and after seeing this review it has pretty much reaffirmed my belief that it is the perfect KeyChain light for me.

All My Best,
John

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it very interesting that the 3 LED peak is only slightly brighter than the 1 LED one for what appears to be less than an hour, and then is DIMMER for most of the battery life- seems like single is the way to go.

Nascar- I appreciate you doing this and in no way wish to start a product war, but seeing the runtime graphs does confirm a closer to "true" regulation in the Arc over the Peak, which is something I eyeball-observed/suspected in my own Peak. That said, the Peak maintains some output long after the Arc is dead, which may interest some people.

That Jil DD still looks awesome- just haven't had the play money to purchase one yet.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Understood Solstice. What you just described and that thought process is exactly why this information is here. Some folks what feature "A" over feature "B", etc.

By the way, the E2 Lithium testing of the Peak 1xLED and 3xLED are done and I'll post them tonight after dinner.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
great info here TIN!
does anyone know what current these aaa lights are running at? it seems that the arc aaa's led is running at a higher current. this would lead me to believe that if the arc aaa had the snow led it would be about the same brightness as the nichia which it currently has, except it would have a nicer tint. in other words, i think the only reason the peak's are not as bright is because they are running at a lower current than the arc aaa.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIN-

Thanks for all the work and the great info.

My pocket EDC is an Ultra 3 LED snow. I have an ARC-P on order. I will be very interested to see if it can replace the Peak as my main pocket light, so far my all-time favorite.

I too am surprised by the steep discharge curve of the 3 LED on the lithium cell. I would have expected the curve to roughly mirror the others on lithiums vs alkalines.

However, I have no experience as I have not yet used them in any of my lights. I guess it's simply a case of justifying a $2.00 cell vs. a $.40 cell. Another reason why I am following your results with interest.

Mark

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW TIN.. That's a Great Information... update...

Also it's worth to note that for First hour and half... with Lithium... Peak Ultra 3 LED will have higher o/p than the Arc Rev4 Premium....

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to you t.i.n. I just ordered 16 AAA lithium cells! They should last me the 21 months I have left over here. Now I need an Arc AAA Rev4 (not shipping yet) or Peak AAA 3 LED HO with keychain tail (stock level 0)
Oh well, it takes a few weeks for the stuff to my make it my way anyway.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
The 3xLED on the E2 doesn't look like the results I would have expected. I think I'm going to do that one over again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, unfortuneatly, the 2nd test yielded the same not-so-favorable results. I'm wondering if this is a bum unit or something. I have another 3xLED I can test, but I'm expecting I'll get the same results.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIN, thanks for the graphs. Those are some bizarre results for the 3xLED units on the E2.

Paul

greenLED

Flashaholic
What chimo said. Would it be possible to separate the E2 and the ROV curves, or add a pattern to a group? I got all cross-eyed trying to figure out which lines to compare against which. Thx, great info!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the encouragement t.i.n.,
I keep telling my wife it is worth around $35 for 16 lithium AAAs with shipping. I get the rolling eyes, the smirk and slowly walking away thing when I attempt to explain regulation, runtimes and lightness.
Figured my Arc AA is an amazing light when running lithium AA cells so... take the next step. You don't pour 87 octane generic gasoline in a dragster so....