• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Introducing FLuPIC V2.1 firmware! Updated 8/4/2005

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All,

I am pleased to announce my own version of the POP firmware. Hardware is 100% compatible and with the latest V2.1 firmware, I have added some modes that users are asking for.

The new V2.1 firmware shows how flexible the firmware is in terms of the number of modes and states.

Changes from V2.0 to V2.1:

-default mode is simple and is what most users will need. Low mode has been programmed to '3' and high mode at '15'. This mode is lacking brightness adjustment but that can be accessed through another mode so the user won't accidently activate the brightness selection.
-previous Mode 1 has been moved to Mode 4
-Mode 5 has been added by the request of a user. The mode has a tactical feel with the most aggressive light behaviour at the beginning and decending in effect.
-*Strobe is user adjustable from 4hz to 15hz in Mode 5. In Set Strobe mode, the led will blink twice and then strobe from 4 to 15 in 1 hertz increments ever second.

*Edit (08/04/2005): At the request of some users, I have added user adjustable strobe frequency in Mode 5. Please refer to the diagram below.

Below is the userguide for my firmware v2.1:

userinterfacev211jf.png

userinterfacev2121rd.png

If anyone is looking to mod their Q3 with the above circuit and firmware for CHEAP, drop me a PM ASAP. I will be intown for only 1 more month so act now!

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
Re: Introducing FLuPIC V2.0 firmware!

[ QUOTE ]
goldserve said:
Hi All,

I am pleased to announce my own version of the POP firmware. Hardware is 100% compatible and with the latest V2.0 firmware, there are many POP2 like features. Be on the look out for more flashlights with some intelligence.

Below is the userguide for my firmware:

userinterfacev209sw.png

If anyone is looking to mod their Q3 with the above circuit and firmware for CHEAP, drop me a PM ASAP. I will be intown for only 1 more month so act now!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice!!

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

I might add, there are provisions for the user to request their own state machine. For example, one could request:

Low -> High -> Burst -> Nothing -> Set Brightness -> Set UI
or
Low -> Burst -> Nothing -> Set Brightness -> Set UI
or
Low -> High -> Low -> High -> Set Brightness -> Set UI

The maximum number of states is limited to 8.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

Q3 PCB with thermal expoxy:

q3sandwhich0lh.jpg

JIL 1.3W bare emitter board with FLuPIC soldered on for mating with another emitter board:

jilboard2uk.jpg

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

So I bought two extra emitter boards from Warren and I sandwhiched the FLuPIC and an emitter from a JIL 1.3W and this is what I got:

jilflupic17di.jpg

jilflupic20oc.jpg

cy

Flashaholic

looks kinda complicated?

is there a mode for hi, med and low only?

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

cy,

Someone mentioned that I could put all the bightness setting in another UI and have a UI just with hi, med, low, and UI adjustment.

So yes, I can VERY easily make UI2, low, high, burst, nothing, set ui.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good news,

I have compacted the program down QUITE alot and now I have more space to put more UIs.

Please give me your comments on what UIs you would like to see.

so UI4 will be:

LOW -> HIGH -> BURST -> OFF -> SET_UI (In this mode, there is no provision to set the brightness levels but that can be done in UI1 or another UI with ability to set brightness)

nexro

Enlightened

What is the current to the lux at low, high and burst?
Is there any beamshots for this?

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll get beam shots taken tonight but at low and high, max current is 400ma and at burst, max current is 1A.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

nexro,

I could not get lux readings because I don't have a meter but my fluke indicates I can get

500ma EFFECTIVE (@ level 20)
20ma EFFECTIVE (@ level 1)
1.2A (@ BURST)

to a TWOJ binned star.

cy,

I think most people will like Mode 1 now like you have requested.

rikvee

Enlightened

Nice work goldserve! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif
It would be interesting if this could fit inside a Surefire E1e or E2e head (perhaps Chop can help).
Will this circuit run on a single 4.2V Li-Ion exclusively. or are there more options?

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

As of now, the circuit is designed to only run from a voltage higher than the LED voltage itself. Think of it as a buck design.

the following combinations will work but not have stress fully at some configurations:

1 x 4.2V Li-Ion
3 x 1.2V NiMh
4 x 1.2V NIMh
3 x 1.5V Alk
1 x Pila (Volts???)
2 x CR123 (this is absolutely the max! I can install a resistor 1 ohm resistor to ensure 0.4V is dropped)

rikvee

Enlightened

thanks goldserve, what does this circuit do when an unprotected Li-Ion runs down?

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

rikvee,

Well, the LDO regulators goes into Direct Drive when the input voltage is 0.15V from the LED's forward voltage so at 2.7V, the led is pretty dim, signalling you should change the battery.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

Updated:

User adjustable strobe frequencies from 4hz to 15hz in Mode 5. Cheers to those who wanted it!

GiveMeLight

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
goldserve said:
As of now, the circuit is designed to only run from a voltage higher than the LED voltage itself.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now I'm lost... I was interested, until reading the above post... Now, I'm unsure... Let me see if I understand correctly.- If I were to get this, I would no longer be able to run my Q3 on Li-Ion primaries? I'd have to use rechargable batteries?

thanks,
Gabe

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is SEMI true. For current regulation, you would have to use rechargables. If you use regular CR123s, it would basically be direct drive with the CR123s. If you use a H binned luxeon, then DD with CR123 is still pretty bright. I hope it is more clear to you now.