Energizer Lithium AA's

Kaneda

Newly Enlightened
Energizer Lithium AA\'s

Hello everybodey,

I have the opportunity to buy some Energizer lithium AA-Batteries. They are pretty expensive, so I wonder if their performance (durability) is really outstanding. Have you any experience ?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Energizer Lithium AA\'s

We've had lots of experience using them, it depends on your application. Their energy capacity isn't much more then alkalines but they excel in high current drain applications where they are able to deliver more current and maintain voltage much better then alkaline's. Digital camera use is the first thing that comes to mind. For lower current drain devices, the performance over alkalines is less substantial but even then you tend to get a flatter output curve, a form of self regulation in a sense. Drain characteristics aside there are the other benefits of lithiums such as long storage capability (ten years), cold operating temperatures and lighter weight.

For flashlight use, be very careful about using in incandescent lamps. They have a slightly higher initial voltage then alkaline's as well as dropping voltage under load much less. This adds up to prematurely blown bulbs, in some cases very premature. You can do a search and find posts on lithium AA use in flashlights.

What price do you see for the Eveready lithium AA batteries? That also has been discussed a lot in this forum.

star882

Enlightened

I use 2 lithium AAs(duracell ultra) in my digital camera.
As my digital camera uses batteries fast, lithiums really help.
Now, I use 2 Ni-MH AAs as the lithiums are expensive.
I recommend the lithiums if you will be using them on vacation(esp. if you will be camping and have no access to AC power), and Ni-MHs for general use.
For flashlights, Ni-MHs are enough(in fact, a few flashlights warn not to use lithiums as they may burn out the power supply).

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by star882:
I use 2 lithium AAs(duracell ultra) in my digital camera.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I thought Eveready was the only manufacturer of lithium AA's. Are you sure you don't mean the Duracell Ultra alkalines?

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened

I plan on buying a few packs of Lithium AA's for use in the 'emergency' flashlights. (I have gobs of AA, D, and 9v batts for all my 'normal' lights.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

In some cases, the lithium AA drains faster than alkalines, like in the CMG Infinity Ultra. I prefer to use lithium AAs in my lights, as I get longer runtime and reduced weight. It does depend on specific application. The E2 Lithium AA has a before load voltage at 1.83 Vdc, so you do have to be careful.

rlhess

Enlightened

THe Lithium AAs are great for the right application. Their higher voltage MAY cause problems. For Example, Nikon sez don't use them in the older cameras--the only time I DID use them in an F-4, the shutter exploded (coincidence, probably). BUT they are WONDERFUL in the Nikon SB-24 strobe -- 4x the number of shots and faster recycling.

Living in LaLa land where it's either moderate, warm, hot, or extra hot (like today), I don't need the cold-weather performance for my flashlights and alkalines are good for a couple of years, so I don't u$e the$e for the obviou$ reasons in my flashlights. I do use CR123 powered flashlights as the CR123s are cheaper than the AA Lithiums.

BE CAREFUL someone also blew up a Streamlight 4AA LED with 4 Lithium AAs--this light seems to be optimized for alkalines.

Cheers,

Richard

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Eveready is indeed the only maker of the Lithium AA. The higher voltage gave me enough concern to post a question for Mr. Gransee and the Arc LS. Fortunately, he said they were okay for use.

Interestingly, some of the runtime graphs show the Titanium's die faster than plain old alkalines.