Olympia Products
Page 1 of 11 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Cavers - The StenLight, Ultimate 2x3W LED Headlamp

Unenlightened

Default Cavers - The StenLight, Ultimate 2x3W LED Headlamp

Wow, I can't wait until the final production versions of this headlamp go on sale!

http://www.stenlight.com

This baby has two 3W LEDs, fully regulated, one with a 15 degree throw for spotting, one with a fresnel lens for flood light. Uses custom rechargable Lithion Ion battery pack for light weight and great life, 5 hours on high, 20 hours on mid. Lamp is machined aluminum, completely water sealed...in fact, the switch is magnetic so no moving parts have to penetrate it.

Someone brought a pre-production unit to our local grotto meeting this week; we turned out all the lights and it lit an entire banquet room up. In fact, it's so bright, you'll need to be extra careful not to blind your fellow cavers with it. Looks like they're probably going to go on sale for around $310 with one battery and a charger...sign me up!

Edited: fixed URL, Firefox must be smarter than other browsers

Default Re: Cavers - The StenLight, Ultimate 2x3W LED Head

Try www.stenlight.com, not stenlight.com.

The light looks very sturdy, but the hinge sure doesn't...

-john

Default Re: Cavers - The StenLight, Ultimate 2x3W LED Headlamp

This looks like a great light for caving. Any idea when they will be available? I need to start saving my money.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Cavers - The StenLight, Ultimate 2x3W LED Headlamp

It was said to be in available in September, but no official statement AFAIK.
    [ QUOTE ]
    you'll need to be extra careful not to blind your fellow cavers with it

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is easy with many lamps .-)

It should put out enough light for most caving purposes, still much less than a carbide lamp, anyway.

It cames close to the perfect lamp, the only feature I miss is that the two LEDs could be switched indepent. But this one would cause the price to raise too high.

We will also see if the magnetic switch does not influence the compass too much.

I like the Melzer Radon which is similar (but has just one LED) in practical life.

Unenlightened

[ QUOTE ]
    We will also see if the magnetic switch does not influence the compass too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've talked to several people who have been testing the pre-production lights this year, all have been project cavers. Several I know personally have been surveying Hell Hole here in WV, and all have said that this light is the best they've ever used (yes, even carbide fans).

I agree that the hinge looks like a weak point from the photo, and I admit that I was too awestruck when I had the light in my hands to pay much attention to the hinge.

Flashaholic*

Am I missing something here. Is there a headband for this "headlight" or is it only to be attached to helmets etc?

Thanks

Curtis

Unenlightened

[ QUOTE ]
    cue003 said:
    Am I missing something here. Is there a headband for this "headlight" or is it only to be attached to helmets etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

It uses a standard blade mount.

Flashaholic*

SOudns nice but way too Overpriced. 2 Lux III's are only $20 or less and te optics are onyl maybe $5.

So basicaly the rest of the money goes for the body and battery and circuit which are not worth it IMO. They could have at least used reflectors instead of carclo optics.

Hi dar, welcome to the forums !
    hmmmmm, David? that you? This is Trotto. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for posting about this,
    I have been keeping in touch with the creator of this light, and it sounds very nice.

The switch uses a Hall effect design guys,
    so that should be great for water resistance.

I beleave there will be a bike attachment also,
    but it should be pretty versitile as far as what you can attach it to.

Justin,
    I have spoke to him about reflectors,
    I THINK that 17mm IMS ones will work in these,
    might require a slight spacer, but should work.
    I think he went against reflectors due to optics allowing differnt beam patterns.

~John

oh BTW,

DAMN, they broght one to the last meeting. arg
    I was out on my camping/caving trip then,
    so I missed out [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Think theres any chance they will be bringing one by again?

Flashaholic*

sup Jtice, I been away fromt eh forums for too long, nothing new ehre though I'm still bitching about prices lol. Switch does sound like a good design.

yea, you have been away too long,
    havnt even popped into chat to see me tisk tisk. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

heh, im a price bitcher too, dont worry [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    I was hoping to see the price alittle lower also, but there was alot involved in this light.
    and I think its very strong.

Unenlightened

I was wondering if a model could be seen anywhere. They're listing IMO (inner mountain outfitters) as a distributor but nothings yet listed on IMO's website. The stenlight contact listed is a non-functioning email address - at least it just bounces back to me.

I certainly like the small battery and after reading everything they've got on the site it seems to be a pretty decent machine. As far as i can tell it's in the upper end of caving lights and seems to be on a par with the HDS actionlight 3.

Anyone have any info on the stenlight's release date?
    RF

Rob,

Yes, IMO will be selling the lights, I think in about 2 to 3 weeks from now.

Ill check into the email, and see if theres another that you can contact them with,

I have one sorta on preorder. and will be doing a full review on it.
    As far as I can tell, its a step above the HDS headlamp, and ALOT smaller.

~John

oh BTW, Rob,

they are bases in VA [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    you should just find out if you can swing by to look at them. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

PM Sent Rob [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    Justintoxicated said:
    SOudns nice but way too Overpriced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on what you use it for. I'm willing to pay for relyability and actually do not care about if the light costs $100 or $400 if I can expect 5 years of service from it.

What I would like is that the two LEDs could be switched independently. So using a flood and a more spottish one, you could change the illuminated area.
    The lower light modes should be flood and vice versa.

Most of the time I prefer a pure flood light, but people's tastes are different.

The developer told me that this would almost double the electronics (of course) and drive the price out of many people's reach. Understandable.
    Maybe there is sometimes a premium version....

I also would have liked the option to have just one led on at a time.
    But this would have added alot to the light, as far as the circuit, and would need a second switch.
    The switch is just a crude metal tab, that you rotate, which is exactly what it should be for a caving light.
    Sometimes you have gloves on, add some mud to that, and its hard to manages littel buttons and switches.

I think that the Stenlight comes with two 20 degree optics in it,
    I will probably have one flood and one spot in it.
    Should make a nice bit of light.

Anyone know a good sorce for all the diff optics?
    Didnt they have some that were really floody?

*Flashaholic*

after reading the spec's, wondered why they chose to hook luxeons in series instead of parallel?

redundancy is good.. if one fails, other would keep on trucking.

Flashaholic*

No Vf matching or grading in series.

A couple of quick notes from a StenLight designer:

- We shipped the first units to Inner Mountain Outfitters today, they should be in their stock sometime tomorrow.

- The production units have a fairly sturdy bolt-based swivel, not the rivet-based swivel we tried out on some of the prototype units. It weights an extra 5 g but we believe the extra sturdiness and the ability to adjust its tightness (and swap switch handedness) is worth it.

- The production models have one 5 degree lens and one 15 degree lens. It provides a pretty good general-purpose beam pattern, good for caving or outdoor use or bicycling. As PeLu pointed out, separate controls would be complex, not least of which being that we'd need to find a place to put the separate switches.

- Series connection of the LEDs permits significantly higher electrical efficiency and permits current regulation with one circuit. Wouldn't work well with parallel unless you had VERY careful matching; just getting LEDs from the same bin wouldn't be nearly close enough.

- As for redundancy, it is very possible for one LED to fail and the other to keep working when they are in series -- if it fails shorted or the circuit has a short, or even if you put one LED in backwards! The circuit will keep on working and still correctly regulate current to the surviving LED. We have actually tested this scenario. In parallel, if one fails even partially shorted it's totally dead, and if one fails open you send twice the current to the other, perhaps killing it too. So it's not intuitively obvious, but redundancy actually works better in the series connection when you're doing current regulation. Then again Luxeons are pretty darn reliable when you treat them right, and LED failures are probably not the most important thing to worry about.

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    niemidc said:As PeLu pointed out, separate controls would be complex, not least of which being that we'd need to find a place to put the separate switches.

[/ QUOTE ]

David,
    could be done with a single switch, but thats to decide when the decision is made to design such a light .-)

Well, it could be done with a single switch and a CPU to keep track of what you're trying to tell it. But unless I'm missing something, that would be a totally different kind of switch.

Hi niemidc, and welcome aboard! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Series connection seemed the way to go on this one,
    the redundancy adds to the reliability of the unit.

I am interested to see how the 5 and 15 degree optics work together.
    Half the fun of this light, will be rounding up all the optics we can, and trying them all out! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Good to hear things are moving along,
    cant wait to order mine!

~John

Looks great, but for mountaineering and hiking, i wonder whether they will come out with a simple headband?

Yes, we do plan to produce a headband mount version in the future, but we don't yet have a schedule for it.

Another note: the StenLight is now up on the Inner Mountain Outfitters web site (http://www.caves.org/imo/LED.htm#S7). Hope that isn't too shamelessly commercial, but we've worked long and hard to get this thing on the market...

Unenlightened

Sweet, just placed my order from IMO. $310 for the complete system (light, one battery, charger). $5 for a helmet mount (16-9802 L-2 Bracket) to fit my Ecrin Roc.

I'll be giving this baby a test run this coming weekend in Simmons-Mingo and My Cave (WV).

niemidc: Let me be the first to say "excellent job!"

Unenlightened

Got my StenLight in the mail today! Unfortunately, IMO forgot to ship my helmet mount; argh.

- The hinge is different than the pre-production model I saw. It now has a threaded bolt and nut rather than two rivets. There's a plastic shim on both sides so you can adjust tightness with the bolt/nut and not have them loosen back up.

- It is bright! The regular setting is brighter than my Petzl Duo 7 LED on high, the high setting blows it away, and the turbo... The turbo setting lights up things in my neighbors' yards from my back porch, something none of my LED lights are able to do. The throw is very impressive. For once I expect to use a light at it's "regular" setting most of the time (rather than skipping regular for high like with a Myo or Duo).

- Negative points for the lack of a mounting system. I have to go through the trouble of buying a blade mount, drill holes in my helmet (which voids Petzl's warranty on it) to mount it. The blade mount on my helmet makes it hard to switch to a headstrap light for backup. The battery mounts with glorified velcro (adhering it to my helmet also voids Petzl's warranty)! Granted, this stuff (3M Dual Lock) is heavy duty, but I don't know how much of a shock it'll handle

More comments after I use it in-cave this weekend.

dar,

Good to hear you like it, I shall have mine soon [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I too would like to see more mounting options.
    But they are planned int eh future I think.

I will be making some mounts for various things, including an attachment to my cameras tripod threading.

Curious, I have seen it two ways in photos...
    does the cord plug directly into the Stenlight?
    or is there a perminate cord coming out of the light?

ah, BTW, you gonna bring it to the next Grotto meeting? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif[/img]
    I am plannign to attend the next one.

~John