Opinion on HP SE L2000 notebook?

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, I need some advice on a laptop purchase.

I'm looking at getting a new laptop within the next few months. No rush at all, just looking to upgrade, so all opinions welcome.

Like most everyone else out there, I want it light and portable while being darn-near indestructable. Also I'd like it to be fast, have long battery life and run cool. All nearly mutually exclusive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif
Most important to me is functionality.

The main use would be as a general home computer. I'll also be using it for 30 minute Powerpoint presentations every few weeks. While I'm out of town I'll be using it to watch DVD's, so one with a quiet fan would be nice.
I don't abuse equipment, but I don't want it to break if I look at it funny.
Good speakers are nice, but not a high priority.

I'm currently looking at a HP Special Edition L2000 Notebook PC with the following specs:
*HP Special Edition L2000 Notebook PC
*Processor AMD Turion 64 ML-30 (1.6GHz/1MB L2 Cache)
*Display 14.0 WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x768)
*Memory 1.0GB DDR SDRAM (1x1024MB)
*Operating System Windows XP Professional with SP2
*Hard Drive 100 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
*CD/DVD Drive LightScribe 8x DVD+/-RW&CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer
*Video Card ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M w/productivity ports
*Modem/PC Card 54g 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster
*Battery 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
-----------------------------------------
Total cost, $1,304 (extra $19 if I want Bluetooth on the wireless card)

This HP SE is the "Lance Armstrong, LiveStrong edition." I like the $50 that goes to the foundation, but that's not a deciding factor for me.

I've got a Compaq laptop now and an Ipaq PDA--both of which have impressed me so far.
Dell desktop has been less than stellar, but I blame a lot of the problems I've had on the now slagged HD.
IBM desktop back in the 90's was fine for the times.
Sony's look nice but I'm not too sure about them.

I've considered going with a powerbook, but most of the software I use is windows based, the computers at work are windows...you know the deal--I'm trapped /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Any suggestions?

Latest posts