Cleaning oil off ha3 (hds edc)

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everybody

Yesterday my HDS EDC arrived and straight out of the box it has an oil stain (or at least it looks like that) which is about 1.5cm by 0.8cm. The stain is on the knurling beneath the laser engraving. I can't post a picture because my camera takes abysmal pictures unless the object is meters away. Have you guys got any tricks for cleaning oil off HA3? I think when Henry was lubricating the threads a (big) drop must got onto the light.

AW

Newly Enlightened
Soapy water or rubbing alcohol will clean oil stains. I clean my two HDS once in a while with soapy water in a sink and they comes out like new. BTW, HDS is waterproof and it is OK to wash them.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks AW. I've already tested its waterproofing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif BTW I'm looking foward to getting your holster. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

edit: just tried washing with soap - the stain didn't come off.

AW

Newly Enlightened
If it doesn't come off, it may not be an oil stain. My guess about it would be an uneven shade/thickness of HA coating. BTW, your holster is shipped today. Thanks again!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure about this one yet, but it could be the metal. I just brought some lights to be anodized, and I've been wondering about one in particular that has some spots or stripe marks on the metal. I don't remember the marks being there right after I stripped them, but then after putting them in the caustic solutions again, I noticed some spots in the metal that were of a different shade. Those spots looked a little greyer, or shinier. I couldn't polish the marks off and another quick soaking in the solution didn't help, either. I've been hoping that the marks wouldn't be there after the HA3 clear coating, but, who knows, maybe the clear coating is going to show everything (after all, they do call it "clear", even though it comes out grey).

So, it might just be the metal. They might have dipped it in a caustic solution to etch it a bit to give it a duller finish after anodizing, which resulted in a discoloration of the metal that showed through (after anodizing).

I'll know if this is a possibility or not when I get my stuff back next week.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You could also use 409 to clean oil/grease off things, I have been known to use hand cleaner (goop etc) because some oils/greases don't seem to be phased by soap and water much especially when they get down into deep ridges or cracks.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Please note that this is not recommended...

I use one of my LionHearts at work. The first day on the job, I got into some automobile grease and dirt and my light was filthy.

I washed it off in the solvent tank and it came out like new.

It probably did not do the rubber button cover any good, but I rinsed it off with water afterwards and there is no evidence of damage to it.

Once again, I do not recommend this method of cleaning, but it worked well for me.

Tom

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well please keep in mind that my photographic abilities are approximately that of a himalayan yak, that is to say very poor. I emailed Henry who said that it was probably silicon because oil wasn't used in the HDS. His suggestion was to use a citrus cleaner which I haven't got around to trying yet. Here's a pic of the stain:

Edit: The image works for me when I refresh it but here's the link for those who can't see it:
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8779/hdsedcstain0hp.jpg

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
Hi Grox, it might be an impurity in the metal - it does happen.

It would also account for how the anodising finishes - if the anodising layers are the same thickness, you'd expect the finish to look even. I guess that if there was a darker shade of metal in there, then that might show up.

I clean my anodised dirtys with metho and a clean rag. I'd be careful about getting any solvents/cleaning agents on any rubber parts inc seals - just to be on the safe side. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Don't want to ruin your new toy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If it's any consolation, it is barely noticeable. Think of it as a touch of individuality and character!

ps: I know a very reputable photographer who is hiring Himalayan Yaks...

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try oiling the rest of it, so it all is even. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously, though, the comments in here seem pretty much on target. I have one of the "tiger stripe" Arc lights. There was a "density anomaly" in the aluminum stock used for that batch. The result was discolorations after the HA process. I'd guess that's what you've got on yours. It doesn't affect the light, nor the durability of the HA.

If it truly is a lube stain, then a degreaser ought to work well. I'd stick with simple soap and water, or maybe rubbing alcohol. As others point out, caustic solutions (base, lye) will eat the HA. I find that flecks of lint and dirt are a little tough to get out from between the knurling on my EDC. Maybe scrub it with a toothbrush in a warm soapy water bath?

Good luck!