GP PowerBank Smart battery charger

B@rt

Flashaholic
Anybody who has any comments about this charger?
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

PowerBank Smart

They come with a switch-mode power supply (100-240V) wich can be left plugged in...
smile.gif

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Where did you find that it can be used on both 110 and 220 AC? I only found following line in the description

Input: 120V ~ 60 Hz - AC Adapter 12V @ 1.5 Amp

Thanks,
- Vikas

Azreal911

Enlightened
that charger seems to be charging batteries at a very high rate (1800 mah batt in 1 hr!?!), does it get really hot? I thought sometimes if you charge it at too high of a rate it's not really good for the life of the battery. i'll just stick to my sony pocket charger, works on 110 and 220 ac also and charges 2aaa's or 4aa's together. the best thing about it is that it's the size of like a palm pilot but 50% thicker. bought it at some rc car store and love it!

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
My PowerBank Smart only comes with a 220v Power Supply. Batteries got real hot (too hot to hold). I think it's a bit too big for travelling with its power supply.

Whenver I travel, I carry quick charger from sony which is very small. It's around half as thick as the GP and 1/3 of its size. It has a built-in (internal) universal power supply. It takes around 3 to 4 hours to charge 4 AA.

Alan

Alledges

Newly Enlightened
Got two 120v 1.5 Amp units and yup they get quite hot, but on the postive side: 1 hour charge, 4 independent channels, auto shut-off. Charged 4 cells then restarted charge cycle to test. Unit detected charge and shut down in minutes. It's large for travel, but 1 hour charge at lunch or rest stop rather than overnight. Big plus when camping or roadtrip. Also got Powerbank "2" Hour Rapid charger (4 hours for 4 cells) with integral power supply for greater convenience when traveling less adventurously.

Question 1 - To Alan, Sony model and availability?

Question 2 - GP Smart charging instructions mention optional 12V DC car cord. ThomasDistributing doesn't carry it. Anybody found an operating specification and source? Or will any 12V DC car cord do as long as auto supplies minimum amps? Web site has same reference to cord, but no part no. or availability or contact e-mail. www.gpbatteries.com.hk

B@rt

Flashaholic
Since most of the use would be at home, portability is not such a big issue.

I have sent an email about the 12V option... I will report back when I get a reply.

About the batts getting hot, I thought the charger has a temp probe as well, so this should be ok? I know I'm not educated in this field at all, but I seem to remember something about NiMh batts like to be charged fast...
confused.gif

Thanks for the replies so far.

More info is allways welcome, since these chargers are not cheap to get overhere... (€ 70.-
blush.gif
)

Whistler

Enlightened
Hoi Bart,

I have good experience with another charger, the AP (ACL) 2010. Fast Charger, with 12V adapter included. You also can charge RAM rechargeable's (Accucell)! The batteries are not getting very much hot, just a little. 4 independent charge channels. I use the charger with my solar pannel or in the car.

It's on this webshop 'in de aanbieding' (for sale). With 4 2000mAh NiMh for €59. They ship free. But it's in german
frown.gif
. I hope you speak a little german... Ap2010 and accucell

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hi Whistler, thanks for the link...
And yes I do speak German (kind of hard not to in this small country...
grin.gif
) great deal on the batts... I'll make sure to look into this...

(of cource being Dutch helps me getting the best deal... I am cheap...
grin.gif
)

I'm certainly interested in the 12V option, the more versatile the better
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

btw wich part of Holland do you reside in?

Whistler

Enlightened
Bart,

in a big city in the west. With a big harbour. Very big. No, not Scheveningen.
wink.gif

You can only charge AA's and AAA's with the charger.

Whistler

Enlightened
And you, where do you use your bicycle? Or should I say your 'supersonische ligfietsraket'?

BTW: You can leave the bat's as long as you wish in the charger...

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Alledges:

Question 1 - To Alan, Sony model and availability?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I got it in Hong Kong. You could check here.

The entire unit is only a little bigger than a pack of cigarette with integral universal power supply.

Alan

Azreal911

Enlightened
hey that's the same sony charger i'm using. i really like it cause it's very small for travelling (universal!). and there's peak detection so you just plug it in and forget about it. very nice and elegant design.

nitelite

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Alledges:
Also got Powerbank "2" Hour Rapid charger (4 hours for 4 cells) with integral power supply for greater convenience when traveling less adventurously.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've been thinking about the Powerbank Rapid charger for travel also. The only thing I can't seem to find out is the weight.

Alledges - does your Powerbank Rapid charger seem heavy like it has a transformer built in - or do you think it seems so light that it must have a switching power supply built in it?

Thanks

Alledges

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by nitelite:
Alledges - does your Powerbank Rapid charger seem heavy like it has a transformer built in - or do you think it seems so light that it must have a switching power supply built in it?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Dunno. Ordered GP "Smart" and "Rapid" from Thomas Distributing, but "Rapid" is backordered. Rapid does AA, AAA, and 9V. Considering other AA/AAA chargers in meantime. Lenmar Pro 711 w/4AA 1800mAh $30 switched and is 110v-240v. Charges 2 or 4 cells. Claims 1 hour charge. Saw the Sony BCG-34HNB 110v-240v charger w/2AA 1700mAh at Circuit City for $35. 1 hour claim is 80% power for 2AAs. Lenmar and Sony are exceptionally small and 110v-240v. Will probably cancel Rapid.

GP "Smart" charger is genuinely 1 hour for 4 cells and hot. Large base holds cells only at terminals suspending body of batteries 1/2" above base. Presumably all this for heat dissipation.