Avg runtime on these lights

ReconTech

Newly Enlightened
So I'm deciding between a Streamlight Scorpion, Surefire Z2, and a Legend LX Brinkmann from walmart. The Legend would be mostly just a nightstand, while the scorpion/z2 a daily carry...

About how often do you guys actually switch out the batteries on these lights?

MarcV

Enlightened
Rarely. They never seem to corrode or bulge, so only extended use will force you to remember whether its the tail or the head that screws off.

Once I switched on the Scorpion by accident while in my sailing ditty bag and a few days later I found out about it. Those batteries were useless after that and the lens (really just a plastic protection shield) was warped. Streamlight replaced the lens assembly without charge and they even sent, unrequested, a free replacement bulb.

Other than that, most of my 123As are still in cold storage in the little refrigerator here in the office.

EDIT Incidentally, I now carry a UKE 2L in the ditty bag because it is waterproof and because it won't switch on by uneven pressure on its tail.

MarcV

Enlightened
Actually I keep all small storage batteries there. For lead acids, charge loss is substantially reduced at low temperatures. For the rest, I think a static, cool temperature with stable low humidity cannot be harmful. Maybe some of the CPF chemists know more about that?

Having done this for years, there are other benefits. The cost of cooling is negligible since they don't absorb or generate heat while in storage. And, most of all, I always know where my spare batteries are.

Afterthought: Maybe this thread should be moved to Batteries?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've compared Alks with LithiumAAs in a pair of StealthLites at -25C. I've also tested my G2 at -25C (flashlights left for 24 hours in the bulk freeze where I used to work) Lithiums perform well at cold temperatures.

I used to use about a pair of SF123As in my E2e per week.

I have never heard of 123As leaking like Alks do.
123As are rated to be of use after 10 years of storage in the flashlight. I have no experience of storing fresh 123As for more then a year at best so I don't know how effective 123As are after longterm storage.

Al

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just fished an old Tekna Splashlite out of a kitchen drawer that I bought in 1987 and have used on and off rarely. It has the original 3V Tekna lithium battery in it that looks to be a 123 type. The light output from that 15 year old battery appears to be at about 80% brightness compared to a fresh Duracell 123.

Thanks.

Size15's

Flashaholic
MarcV,

Yes, I think it should!

Al
smile.gif