How's this for timing....(long blackout story)

boostmiser

Newly Enlightened
How\'s this for timing....(long blackout story)

Sit back and enjoy.

I've had a Streamlight SL20 for 25 years. It was my fathers and I confiscated it as a child for flashlight tag etc. About 6 years ago, I had it overhauled but my kids ended up burning out the bulb and trashed the battery. So it sat idle for years in the garage (still in good condition). I bought a new SL20 three years ago to replace the my original one in the garage. 6 months ago, the new SL20 grew legs and walked off. So no flashlights in the house for the last 6 months. I missed my SL20 under the bed for security. It really bothered me not having one and I wanted to replace it.

I happened to watch a program one night that featured Surefire lights. I had since never heard of them but was intrigued. I looked them up on the Internet and stumbled on to this forum. I did my research and decided to re-commission my 25yr. old SL20 and purchase a SF 6p as a start. Last week, I bought each of my 4 kids 2AA MiniMags. My wife didn't understand this new flashlight kick I'm on. Waste of money, rediculous yada yada she went on. Anyhow, I put my order in to Brightguy.com Sunday night. I ordered 2 new lexan lenses, 2 SL35 bulbs and a battery stick. It all arrived on my doorstep yesterday (Wed) afternoon. Everything was packaged well and accounted for. I put the new lens, bulb and battery in the SL20 and Bam...we have light Houston. Battery was fully charged. I love this flashlight. Very bright indeed.

It doesn't end here. 6:00pm rolls around and we just finished dinner. Zap...no power in the house. I can count on one hand the number of times the power has been out in the 10 years I've lived in this house. We figured rolling blackouts due to the heat (110 heat index). It was still light out so we just opened the curtains. An hour later it was getting dark. A storm was approaching, and then all of a sudden, the power came back on. Great timing because the storm looked bad. 10 minutes later, the power is back off and the storm came roaring through. Wind driven rain, thunder and lightning. I told the kids to get their flashlights. Police and ambulances passed the neighborhood, sirens wailing. Kids are nervous. I figured an accident in the area might have knocked out the power. Still not sure what happend (need a scanner now). Then I noticed my 8-ft tree in the front yard had broken in half. Lighting? Then came hail and I put everyone in the basement as a precaution. Tornados are not common in my area, but I'd like to be safe. My trusty SL20 was by my side, lighting the way down into the basement. This light lit up the basement like daytime. The kids felt secure with their MiniMags in hand. A few minutes passed and the hail subsided. We went back up stairs and waited out the storm. Problem is, not power, no air conditioner and 4 rammy kids. So we played games by candlelight and flashlight. The kids make hand figures on the ceiling using their flashlights. That kept them busy for a while. One of the Minimags fell and blew a bulb. I had to replace it with the tailcap spare. Handy! I need to get them LED's now. Time passed and soon it was time to put the kids to bed - 10pm now. The SL20 lit up the hallway into the bathroom so they could brush up. By this time, everyone was complaining about the heat....very uncomfortable to sleep in. Kids are in bed and the wife and I hung out for a while but soon went to bed also. I asked her "now do you understand my flashlight kick?" She looked and nodded in agreement and I'm sure it will never come up again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Score: Husband 1 Wife 0! About 1:30am, the power came back on for good, the SL20 by my bedside resting after a hard nights work. Glad to have her back.

Thanks to Brighguy for the very timely shipping of my products! I'll be sending them a transcript.

watt4

Enlightened
Re: How\'s this for timing....(long blackout story)

good story ! welcome to cpf !

now, convince the wife you need some led lanterns, some pocket lights, some lights for the car, spare batteries, etc, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

matthewdanger

Enlightened

Nice! I can't wait until my well used SL20x gets here with all it's goodies.

pradeep1

Enlightened

Wow, we had a blackout the other day during the middle of the day and for about 15 minutes. My wife was no where around and it was 110 degrees with bring sunlight coming to our house, so no flashlight use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

wwglen

Enlightened

boostmiser,

I have exactally four (4) homemade MJLEDs left.

If you want them for your kids minimags (even kids shouldn't be stuck with stock minimags) I will send them to you.

All I ask is that these are used by the kids and you "Pass it Forward" (do a good deed for someone else)

PM me with you address if you want them.

wwglen

ps: One of them was my first attempt at grinding them down and I went a LITTLE too far. The tips of the LED substrate holder are exposed but it works good.

DreamScape

Enlightened

boostmiser, great story & welcome to CPF.

I have a feeling this won't be your last upgrade either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

wwglen, what a kind gesture /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Last blackout here I was playing around with my new light (can't remember which one). How convenient! Damn blackout only lasted 10 mins.

boostmiser

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
wwglen said:
boostmiser,

I have exactally four (4) homemade MJLEDs left.

If you want them for your kids minimags (even kids shouldn't be stuck with stock minimags) I will send them to you.

All I ask is that these are used by the kids and you "Pass it Forward" (do a good deed for someone else)

PM me with you address if you want them.

wwglen

ps: One of them was my first attempt at grinding them down and I went a LITTLE too far. The tips of the LED substrate holder are exposed but it works good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Replied. Thanks so much for the offer and I'll ... no, the Kids will put them to good use.
I just find it so ironic I got all these light together and working and we had a blackout. We've been through two hurricanes and numerous strong storms in this house and no blackouts. Oh well. This is an interseting hobby.

Luxman

Enlightened

Nice story...

I think you need to get a light for your wife...how about a SF L2 or U2 or HDS Ultimate 60... I bet she will think differently then.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[my wife loves her SF L2]

Sixpointone

Enlightened

Boostmiser,

Thanks for sharing that great story. You are a very good story teller, and I am pleased that your lights came so quickly and than came in so handy.

WWGlen,

You are one class act! It is people like yourself that make me proud to be part of the CPF.

Take Care,
John

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened

Welcome to CPF.

Nice story, Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning, those lights you just bought won't be the last.............. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Especially if you hang out on CPF for long!