Thread: Peak LED Solutions Q&A - Part 4

Admin formerly
    known as 'Sasha'

Default Peak LED Solutions Q&A - Part 4

Part 3 closed.

Carry on here... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Default Re: Peak LED Solutions Q&A - Part 4

Since Part 3 is now closed....

rdshores had a question on who manufacturers the Snow 29 LEDs. I think the question got swamped/missed due to the other post [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. I would like to know the answer as well so here is a free bump.

MJ, can you provide the answer?

Paul

Flashaholic*

I can only guess.. its Cree LED's ... but not so sure...

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    chimo said:

rdshores had a question on who manufacturers the Snow 29 LEDs. I think the question got swamped/missed due to the other post [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. I would like to know the answer as well so here is a free bump.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sorry guys I can not provide that information, however I can say someone will figure it out if they have not already.

MJ

[ QUOTE ]
    DallasA said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    chimo said:

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sorry guys I can not provide that information, however I can say someone will figure it out if they have not already.

MJ

[/ QUOTE ]

I will assume that this is to protect "trade secrets". However, claims have been made on the Peak site with beam pics comparing the "Snow 29" to the Nichia CS. There are also some inferences that the Nichia CS LEDs in other products will have a shorter lifespan. It feels like a "trust me - ours is better" statement. While this type of statement may work with a less informed audience, I believe many people at CPF are a little more curious than the average customer.

So, while it is easy to obtain the Nichia data sheet, it is a PITA to go through all the LED manufacturers to find one that produces a white LED with a 29 cd bin. Hopefully, some one will come up with the info and inform the CPF populace. Well, thanks for providing an answer - now I can start a search instead of waiting.

Flashaholic*

Man I keep learning something new everyday! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

I need some help! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

For anyone that has got one of are units in the last 3 weeks that has a way to measure the light does not matter how help me with a finding of mine ( a theory )

We have been taking a closer look at batteries, and we ran across something that is very interesting.

When we were doing are test like we always do when units are ready to go out we are getting different reading on the batteries we use.

This is what we found. The batteries we use and supply with the units have a metal oxidize on them.

When we removed this we found the numbers were normal and coming out the same.

So here is were I would like to see if some of you can help me. If you can do this.

The battery is " Toshiba " Take a reading write it down and then take the battery and just lightly rub the top of the positive contact point of the battery with a peace of sad paper " Just lightly "

Then take another reading and then let me know what your findings were, please!

Thank you in advance for helping me with this!

MJ

I get 1.5v before and 1.5v after. It was with the Toshiba battery that came with my Matterhorn.

Unenlightened

1.6 V before and the same after ( 3 LED Matterhorn Ultra , bought from the german distributor ) .

Regards ,

Jürgen

I think she wants people to test the light output, not the no-load voltage.

Unenlightened

Thanks Archangel , I guess you´re probably right . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Regards ,

Jürgen

Administratior

Of the two I have it isn't the battery, at least not at the battery itself. Hey I wonder if it could be the connection to the body?

TIN any thoughts on that?

[ QUOTE ]
    Brock said:
    Of the two I have it isn't the battery, at least not at the battery itself. Hey I wonder if it could be the connection to the body?

TIN any thoughts on that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish I did. In my case, it's certainly not a contact issue between the cell and bezel positive terminal. It's not a battery voltage issue either. All that being said, something is wrong. I find it heard to believe that anyone would knowingly build something that inconsistant.

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    sbebenelli said:
    I get 1.5v before and 1.5v after. It was with the Toshiba battery that came with my Matterhorn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sorry I should have stated light out put.

Thanks,

MJ

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    this_is_nascar said:
    All that being said, something is wrong. I find it heard to believe that anyone would knowingly build something that inconsistant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree something is wrong with the units you have, however I think it is way out of line to make a statment of " knowingly" when it could be something very simple. Speaking knowingly Mr. TIN ( My Apologies on useing last name ) could you please vist me in the underground when you get a chance. I would like have a open discusion with you.

Thank you in advance for you time!

MJ [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: Last Name

[ QUOTE ]
    DallasA said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    this_is_nascar said:
    All that being said, something is wrong. I find it heard to believe that anyone would knowingly build something that inconsistant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree something is wrong with the units you have, however I think it is way out of line to make a statment of " knowingly" when it could be something very simple. Speaking knowingly Mr. TIN ( My Apologies on useing last name ) could you please vist me in the underground when you get a chance. I would like have a open discusion with you.

Thank you in advance for you time!

MJ [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: Last Name

[/ QUOTE ]

OK MJ. See you down there in a bit. My "knowingly" comment was meant as a "giving Peak the benefit of the doubt", not as an accusation. Sorry if it came off that way.

Flashaholic*

Good Morning Everyone,

I have some important information/ announcement to make today.

As of today Robyn ( Peak LED Solutions – President ) & Curt ( Peak LED Solutions – Head of Engineering Department ) will be taking over as repetitive of Peak LED Solutions here on CPF.

From time to time I will be popping in and helping out here on behalf of Peak LED Solutions but my time is much needed on other aspects of the business.

A lot has brought me to this decision and I feel this will help this community more efficiently along with Peak LED Solutions relationship in this community.

I would like to thank everyone for their wonderful support in helping me find my way around here. You guys have been extremely wonderful; words cannot express how I feel about all of you. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img]

This is not good by, this is just a change in my position/identity here on CPF.

Later today I will be posting Curt’s “Newbie” user names, I ask that you guys give them a warm welcome.

Robyn’s User name here is: RobynS

Sasha: Could you please remove supporting manufacture icon from my user name when you get a chance and place it on Robyn’s user name above. Thank you so much!

As always have a great day guys!

MJ
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hey, um, to whom it may concern: I just had a miscellaneous, unrelated curiosity for after the changing of hands is done. I don't doubt it's been answered before, but I couldn't find it by searching the archives.

How do the McKinleys do with r123a's? Is the regulation circuit such that the higher voltage will or will not lead to more current through the led's? If it will, is it by enough to want to shy away from using r123a's? For HP? and for ultra?

Thanks in advance,
    Galiphrey

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    Galiphrey said:
    Hey, um, to whom it may concern: I just had a miscellaneous, unrelated curiosity for after the changing of hands is done. I don't doubt it's been answered before, but I couldn't find it by searching the archives.

How do the McKinleys do with r123a's? Is the regulation circuit such that the higher voltage will or will not lead to more current through the led's? If it will, is it by enough to want to shy away from using r123a's? For HP? and for ultra?

Thanks in advance,
    Galiphrey

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the units will work on R123's not sure on the performance of them, I will check with someone that I know has one and see how it does and let you know.

MJ

Hi,

I have a question about the Mediterranean and Caribbean lights. On the Peak website they say that these are Luxeon III's, but the Flashlightreview's review indicates a Lux I. I was just curious as to which they actually were. Thanks.

Just got 2 Matterhorn lights from Peak LED Solutions to make company for my Arc v.4 AAA light: SS 3 LED and 1 LED HA-III pocket style. All three are of very high quality, but different in style, beam pattern, tint, e.t.c.
    Which is good: those differences justify buyng all 3 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    I am very impressed with Peak LED: great communication, low shipping charges and shipping was very fast: got e-mail with shipment notification and tracking # just a couple hours after placing order on their website.
    Great job!

I haven't been able to find the answer to this, so I thought I'd ask the question here. Is there a "pocket" tube available for the Kilmanjaro? By default, the Kilmanjaro comes with the keychain tube and I've not been able to find a "pocket" tube available on the accessories page on the Peak site.

[ QUOTE ]
    this_is_nascar said:
    Is there a "pocket" tube available for the Kilmanjaro? By default, the Kilmanjaro comes with the keychain tube and I've not been able to find a "pocket" tube available on the accessories page on the Peak site.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,
    On mine the keychain lug unscrews leaving a blind hole- not quite a true 'pocket' configuration, but at least it allows it to tail-stand.

BTW- I'm into hour 33 of a runtime test starting with a fresh Duracell. I don't have your nice computer/lightmeter set up, so I'm just doing things by eye. At hour 33 it's still noticably brighter than a CMG Infinity (not Ultra) with a fresh cell, which I'm using as my comparision standard of 'minimum usable light'. At 28 hours I did a predawn walk around and it was easily able to illuminate to the far sides of 30' long rooms, and gave enough light while pointing at the ceiling to do normal tasks, and avoid the cat toys that they rearrange at midnight to catch us out.

I'm being rather impressed, but perhaps I impress too easily.

This_Is_Nascar,
    I ask Dallas same question: answer was no, they don't make "pocket" style Kilimanjaro, but you can contact
    Custom Design Center at <customcenter@peakledsolutions.net>
    and they will do it for you. Don't know how much it will cost.
    Well, I contacted Custom Design Center and ask if they can make pocket style brass K.; they responded(very fast) that it can be done with next run of brass K. bodies and I will be notified when it will happen.

Flashaholic

Hello Sarius

Our Mediterranean and Caribbean lights are Luxeon III's. I will contact Doug and let him know. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Best regards,

Robyn
    President
    Peak LED Solutions

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    Sarius said:
    Hi,

I have a question about the Mediterranean and Caribbean lights. On the Peak website they say that these are Luxeon III's, but the Flashlightreview's review indicates a Lux I. I was just curious as to which they actually were. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Mediterranean & The Caribbean both have a Luxeon III

MJ

EDIT: OOPPPS!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif[/img] That is some service

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    this_is_nascar said:
    I haven't been able to find the answer to this, so I thought I'd ask the question here. Is there a "pocket" tube available for the Kilmanjaro? By default, the Kilmanjaro comes with the keychain tube and I've not been able to find a "pocket" tube available on the accessories page on the Peak site.

[/ QUOTE ]

We will be offering these in the near future due to the request we have received. Not sure on time at this point but will let you know when it happens.

For right now the answer is no and for anyone wanting to order through the custom design center the estimated time is the same for the stock units do to the design of the negative contact point.

Hope this helps.

MJ

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    RobynS said:
    Hello Sarius

Our Mediterranean and Caribbean lights are Luxeon III's. I will contact Doug and let him know. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Best regards,

Robyn
    President
    Peak LED Solutions

[/ QUOTE ]

Time to have a little fun…… [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

So Robyn curious minds want to know will you we be offering multi LED’s in the Kilmanjaro series any time soon, and if so can you please give us some information on it? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

LOL….. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon11.gif[/img]

MJ
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

Hello -

Well, since you brought it up, Yes we are working diligently to bring back the multi LED AA, I should have samples for photography in about a week. If all goes as planned (who am I kidding) they should be available on our site within 2 weeks.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif[/img] Robyn

Thanks MJ and mbely2. Sarius, thanks, but as you figured out, I was looking for the smallest length possible. It sounds like this will be a standard offering in the not to distant future. As far as runtime, yes, mine run forever as we. I was up 25-hours on the meter, but then the cell on the light meter died. I should have thought to start out with a fresh battery in the meter.

Hi,

I now have 40 hours of runtime on my Kilimanjaro and it is still putting out significantly useful light. As I don't have a light meter, I've been judging it by direct comparison with an original CMG Infinity Task with a fresh Duracell only turned on to do the compare. As you know, the eye is very sensitive to direct comparisons. I've been using the Infinity for a while doing house checks and such, while hardly blinding, it does put out plenty of light for normal night time tasks out to 15 feet or so. I've been considering it a good standard for 'minimum useful light'.

When you can tie up your measurement rig for half a week or so, I'd be very interested in seeing what the complete curves look like.

At 40 hours run on a fresh Duracell the Kilimanjaro is still slightly brighter than the Infinity. This far exceeded what I was expecting, as I posted up in LED forum and considering the first rate construction and finish, AA winner! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]