Q-III with 2-Stage switch and AA extender.

wwglen

Enlightened
I posted this under the thread "If you had one flashlight" and decided it need to be a review.

Right now my #1 flashlight and the one I would pick if I only got to choose one is...

My Q-III that has been simi modded with.

1-AA adaptor from E-Bay.
Two stage switch from goldserve with 5 ohm.

I made a removable aluminum foil / electrical tape filler to fill in space of the 1-AA adaptor to allow 123's to be used. Why did I do that? Because I didn't want to lose the adaptor and want the ability to use AA or 123 interchangably at any time. I genually use a R123 but if it poops out I can use any old AA and it still works great.

I havent used a R123 since I got the 2-stage switch but this describes the different combinations of batteries and the output.

1. Full Power R123 -- VERY BRIGHT and lights up the yard.
2. Low power R123 -- Havent tried yet.
3. Full power 123 -- BRIGHT just not as bright as the R123 I would say about 75%.
4. Low Power 123 -- About the same brightness as the 1/2 watt 2-AAA. Throw looks brighter and bright spot looks brighter than the 2-AAA but a bounce test off the cealing shows about the same overall brightness.
5. High power AA Alkline -- About 50%-75% of the full power 123.
6. Low Power Alkline AA -- About the same as a CMG ultra or Arc AAA.
7. High Power NiMH AA -- Almost as bright as the high power alkline. Able to handle the current better I guess.
8. Low power NiMH AA -- Bearly glows. Able to read with night adapted eyes if you hold it 2-3 inches away from the page and you are close. Perfect for a "Find Me" if camping.

You can also used AAA if you are carefull.

I really like the flexability of the light with the extender and the two stage switch.

wwglen

ps: Thanks for the 2-stage switch Goldserve

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review and good promotion. Too bad I'm all out of dual switches.

The next hot thing is microprocessor controlled light for 20 brightness levels =D

rick88

Newly Enlightened
A AAA fits without the extender - just roll it in with paper / cardboard... as spacer. The cap won't screw in all the way, about 2 mm of threading shows, but should be OK for (dry) emergency lighting use.