Are all 123 batteries the same?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I found some 123s for $2.99 and others for $1.99. Would there be a differance? One is Surefire and the other is Panasonic. Would one last longer/brighter than the other?

Thanks Dean

Size15's

Flashaholic
No, 123As are not all the same.
For example, SureFire have said that their SF123As batteries are specifically designed to work better under high drain applications such as their HOLA and high Wattage lamps.
Something about higher impedance or something?
I have tested SF123As against DL123A Ultra M3's and a couple other brands. Indeed, I do get better output for longer with SF123As.

I do not know any details about other 123As brands in terms of their internal specs or whatever.
I spent some time and money investigating 123As back before Duracel released their M3 brand. (so a couple of years back I guess?)
Anyway, back then, Duracel Ultra DL123As kicked butt when powering the N62 in the SureFire 12PM. The only 123As that came close were Energizer EL123As but I didn't often see those for sale.

Al

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course, the key question to ask is: Is it worth it to pay 50% more to get perhaps a 10% increase in runtime......

If you go with the cheapies, you may have to change out the batteries 5 minutes earlier, but when you can get 30 batteries instead of 20 for the same money, it still translates into a lot more run time for you.

Just my 2 cents.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The SF 123s are noticibly whiter as well as having longer runtime. SF123s are worth it in HOLAs. I use Duracell DL123s with LOLAs.

Size15's

Flashaholic
If your use of SF123As doesn't give you any advantages then perhaps you don't need them.
I've put two M6's side-by-side with MN21's and SF123As do enhance the inital intense brilliance runtime, and they do increase the quality runtime output.

I figure that if I'm runnig HOLAs, I've already cut down my runtime so I might as well do what I can to get the most light from my SureFires.

Whether you can tell the difference between cheap 123As and SF123As powering the KL1... I don't yet have two KL1's to compare.

Al

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Originally posted by Size15s:
[QB]No, 123As are not all the same.

Like everything else in life you get what you pay for most of the time. I beleave I'll go with the SF123s.

Thanks Dean