Introducing an EDC 2-Cell LED Light (CAD) SPY005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC Two-Cell LCD Light Feeler (CAD) SPY005

Hello everybody! I am excited about the prospect of manufacturing and offering a run of flashlights to the CPF community. After several months designing the light and bouncing the ideas off many of my personal CPF friends, it is now ready for its introduction. Please take a look at this proposed design and let me know what you think.

The SPY is a two-cell every-day-carry using 123s. At less than 3.2" long the CAD pictures below show this to be a tiny light (the US quarter is to scale). In a very retro-spy-gear style, the light employs a super micro rotary switch that controls 6 levels of output. See the small round chrome rotary dial just parallel to the bezel. To operate the light you turn the rotary switch one click at a time, from off up through ever-higher light levels. The switch has a stop at off and high so the user will be able to feel the switch and get to the light level desired and also be able to turn the light off without looking at the beam.

My prime goals for this light are; it must be bright and dim, it must be long lasting for work and play and I want it in my pocket. My intention is to make it high quality, fun with cool features and beautiful.

The time frame for the completed light is December 2005. It will be as powerful as leading edge (4th quarter 2005) LED technology will permit but also with a practical run time indicative of a two-cell light. In the November time frame a decision will be made to go with the best LED immediately available. If that is not the K2 then I am planning to provide an upgrade path to the K2 when it becomes available.

Specifications:
· Proposed name: " SPY005 " (SPY released in 2005)
· Batteries: two CR123 run in series (or rechargeable RCR123s)
· Proposed LED; Luxeon 3 or K2, Under 4Vf and up to 1500 mA, Lambertian projection
· Six regulated light levels, high efficiency buck/boost converter
· Proposed current levels: 1500, 750, 300, 125, 15, 2
· Rotary switch is mil-spec and rated for a minimum of 10,000 full cycles
· Reflector is IMS 20 or McR-20 TBD (pictures below show IMS 20)
· Switch can not come on accidentally in pocket because it is smooth and must be purposefully rotated
· Body made of 6061-T6 aluminum HA III natural finish and other finishes
· Bezel is 1" in diameter and is chrome plated on outside surface
· Water resistant with o-ring seals at the head, cap and dial
· 1.4% of gross sales will be donated to CPF
· Six month comprehensive warranty, replacement parts and service will be available for 5 years

My specialty is machining. A large production CNC vertical machining center is my primary tool. It is only natural for my concept light to be a machined product and not a turned product. A two-cell light fits nicely in your pocket if the batteries are side by side (parallel). My design keeps the light short and thin. It is actually smaller than the average flip cell phone. I am a very proud machinist and my perspective is to make this a high-end intricately machined product like other very fine custom light products found here on CPF.

The SPY005 has a few unique features worthy of note. The bezel is made of chrome-plated aluminum. The bezel and the case of the light make up the exterior heat sync area. Inside the light, the bezel is thermally connected directly to the LED mounting plate with thermal paste. The lens and reflector are secured with a screw on ring and sealed with an o-ring. There is also an o-ring at the body. The reflector and bezel are designed to fit together with high tolerance. This affords a very compact unit that is always perfectly aligned. The outside diameter of the bezel is only 1" but, here is the good part, the light path is .75" in diameter.

Another unique feature is the battery cap. It is smooth and clean because of a trick hidden latching mechanism that can be operated with any type of stylus. You push on the button inset in the edge of the cap and pull the cap off to replace the batteries. This cap is o-ring sealed to the back of the light. I am still contemplating an o-ring around the release pin button verses a smooth tolerance fit there. Without an o-ring some gas venting is allowed for. The button can be pressed with any pointy object like a car key, ballpoint pen, small screwdriver, matchstick etc. You get the idea.

The control knob is also o-ring sealed to the body. It is attached with a snap ring and cannot come off with out disassembling the light from the inside. It interfaces to the rotary switch with a blade protrusion. There is a physical stop built into the knob so that no high level of torque can be transmitted to the switch's internal stop. The switch is mounted directly to the converter board. The battery pushing on the converter board springs hold the converter board in place and engaged to the control knob. No service is necessary because of the placement of the o-ring, no dirt can get to the knob's bearing surface.

I am planning a lanyard that is all cloth and leather that will fit around the bezel. Taking the bezel off and sliding it around like a collar will attach it. For those of us who do not use lanyards it will of course not change the appearance of the light because no attachment point is needed for this design. I am talking with a local beading shop to design a fun optional lanyard that is very cool too. It may be pricy though.

Some but not all of my advisers think the 1500mA level is too high. I know it is not very useful with a Lux3. At 1500mA the Lux3's life is shortened and the increase in flux output is minimal over a 1000mA level. However with a K2 or similar LED this will enable my light to output in excess of 100 lumens. And that is the eventual goal. If you do not agree with this plan then please let me know. Nothing is set in stone yet.

I will not be selling the first run of ~20 lights. They will be prototypes and as such will likely be flawed. Some will be available to select fellow CPF'rs to peruse and review and in some cases beat with a metal rod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I am planning to start prototype production of this light as soon as its design phase is complete (a few weeks yet). I will not be selling pre invention lights either. The prototypes will be complete before I will except orders for the final production run. The numbers, quantities, costs, lead times and the final configuration including the what LED will be used will all be known before hand. Also, it is my plan to only require down payments at the time of the signup.

As some of my CPF friends know I run an invention consulting business and a machine shop. This affords me the control and creativity to make this complicated light a reality. In comparison to other projects on CPF this will be very heavy on the machining, polishing and plating requirements. My estimate for the final cost of the light is $345 (preliminary estimate). With such a short-run specialized product no phase of this project will be profitable for me and I am OK with that. I am doing this to keep my machine shop busy and because I am a hopeless flashaholic. I have donated the time to design this light and I know I will be donating much more time yet. The only part I can't give away is the machining phase, this will meet my machine shop minimum requirements or I cannot move forward.

I am of course searching for suppliers for various components. I have recruited a CPF electronics guru, Wayne Yamaguchi, for partnering with me on this project. Wayne is custom designing a controller board that will be regulated at each light level and that will interface with the rotary switch. Another of my established partners is a best friend who owns a large job shop and who will be producing the turned components. I also have a long time relationship with a good metal plating company. I will be using Chris at flashlightlens.com for the lenses. I currently lack an LED acquisition and sorting partner. I also will need some CPF liaisons. All partners will be compensated for their time.

It is important to point out here that I owe a lot to several CPF people for guidance on this project. The first is dat2zip for guiding me to what kind of emitter and electronics make the most sense for my light. Secondly, several people (andrewwynn, tweek, Mr Bulk, tvodrd, DaGunn, Ginseng and others) have given me very valuable feedback that has steered me in the right direction on options and features. I could not have gotten this far on my own.

I love lights and our community and want very much to produce a light for CPF. Being in the manufacturing business I realize this flashlight is an extensive project. I welcome everyone's perspective and input to ensure it turns out good. At this point I am testing the waters with this concept and need feedback from you. So, I am looking for a show of hands to determine the interest for a light of this type and cost.

The series of pictures below show the light outfitted with some different bezels. These options are a work in progress. Also near the end you will see a bezel design I have shamelessly stolen from Ginseng's Aurora2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Comments on these and other ideas are greatly encouraged. So without further gilding the lily and with no more ado, I bring you the SPY005.

spy71.jpg

spy72.jpg

spy74.jpg

spy77.jpg

spy54.jpg

spy55.jpg

spy57.jpg

spy59.jpg

spy60.jpg

spy61.jpg

spy62.jpg

spy63.jpg

spy64.jpg

spy65.jpg

spy44.jpg

spy47.jpg

spy78.jpg

spy79.jpg

spy80.jpg

spy83.jpg

spy84.jpg

spy85.jpg

spy75.jpg

spy81.jpg

This is not a sign up thread, but please post with your reactions and comments.

THANKS FOR LOOKING.

Sincerely

David Livingston

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Re: Introducing an EDC 2-Cell Light Feeler(CAD) SPY005

Interesting ... are you planning on having the body injection-molded?

It looks like it's designed to be held somewhat like a cigarette lighter.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: Introducing an EDC 2-Cell Light Feeler(CAD) SP

COOL ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Interested.

But I see problems with the water seals ... too many of them and maybe too complicated, too.
Maybe a magnetic switch and a simple "pull-off" tail instead of a "release button" might be better in this aspect?

Agreed on the 1500 being too high ... but this issue is in reality a non-issue as it stands and falls with the LED being used and should be able to be adjusted in the last minute ...

Nice cooperation! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bernie

nightshade

Enlightened

I am in ... I have always loved the side by side configuration. Strongly agree with Kiessling, water entry will create problems. Is this a patent infringement of any type? It's a popular arrangement, but does anyone call it there own? Looks very much like a popular dive light. If it can be made reliable and water resistant, I'm in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

An innovative and refreshing design. Very appealing!

I do have one comment and it is that the LED mounting and surrounding areas look like they provide a minimal amount of mass for thermal sinking. The head on a KL4 is substantially more massive and after several minutes, it gets quite warm even delivering only something like 700mA to the emitter. But then the KL4 circuit is not that efficient.

You might also consider an alternate configuration which can make use of Pila 150S or 168S lithium ion rechargeable cells.

Great work Dave.

Wilkey

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Introducing an EDC 2-Cell Light Feeler(CAD) SPY005

idleprocess

This run of lights will be all aluminum including the body. And yes, the light can be held in a couple different ways.

Kiessling

I will make the o-ring seal surfaces smooth and toleranced so no water or humidity can get in.

If you have an idea for how to hold the tail-cap on I would love to see it. Nothing is set in stone yet.

Cheers
Dave

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ginseng

I agree, this light will get hot if you run it on high for very long. The plate the LED is glued to is .150 thick and will transfer the heat out to the bezel and body quickly but this tiny light is no match for the heat dissipation of a KL4.

If there is demand for this kind of variation in my light, there is no reason I can think of why the body can not be made longer for the Pila cells.

Thanks for your help and comments Wilkey.
Dave

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you're going to injection mold it out of plastic, you might try one of the special high-thermal conductivity plastics like this.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
nerdgineer said:
If you're going to injection mold it out of plastic, you might try one of the special high-thermal conductivity plastics like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a wonderful plastic that I have come across before. I do not have plans to make a plastic version of this light. If I did this would be a great plastic. Its thermal properties are amazing for plastic. I do not need its electrical conductive properties as I could easily run a shunt across the two end cap terminals.

Cheers
Dave

RPM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks like a fun project. I would embrace a machined concept as opposed to the usually "turned" products that are so familiar. Ever since seeing the SF X200, I thought it would be cool to machine something like this. Hats off for a cool design. Had you considered two small threaded caps on the back side to access the batteries? You could thread mill the O.D. threads on the body and turn some small caps with o-rings to seal. Not quite as clean as your obround style rear cap, but maybe something to consider. Also, nice renderings. What solid modeling software? SolidWorks, Pro/E??

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

It looks like 2005 will be the year of the side by side lights. Nice clean design.

It looks like the two cells load in (-) first, or are they in series ?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

My pleasure, Dave! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wilkey

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

RPM

I looked at the X200 too. My light started with the centered bezel like that.

With my cap the batteries actually touch. The separate battery cap concept forces the batteries apart and makes the body larger.

I use Autodesk Inventor for CAD work. The CAM software I started with years ago ran in the old Mechanical Desktop. They ported it over to Inventor and my upgrade path was set for me. I have much $$$ invested in the CAM software and so it is not easy to switch. Do you use SolidWorks? It is very similar to Inventor.

HarryN

I thank you and everybody for your kind comments. This has been a labor of love but a long road. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif

The batteries are in series. Mr Bulk also suggested running them in parallel and I have not had the time to talk to Wayne and consider that option throughly. One problem is the battery cap is not electrically conductive, under one ohm, to the body. So a change would be needed to the cap in order to facilitate it. I also do not believe it would relax the requirement for a buck-boost converter and would require the converter to handle about 3 amps on its input.

Cheers
Dave

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

I had the extreme pleasure of seeing this prospectus firsthand prior. And all I had to say was

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Ah'm IN!

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Data,
Very cool!

[peanut gallery] Is there a reason you are using a face seal on the knob instead of a bore seal? Would you consider putting an O-ring groove in the knob so one could add an O-ring for "grip" at will and remove if not needed? It looks like the battery partition web could accomodate a couple blind tapped holes for a pocket clip?!?[/peanut gallery]

Regarding the 6 watts of power to a LuxIII or K2, I think that heat will be a significant issue given the size of the light. 900 mA on a X200 gets pretty dang hot and that additional 600 mA will be to a very great extent more heat and not light. I think we have to wait some more time before the efficacy will allow for some great flux in little packages. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

If you decide to go with an aluminum reflector, perhaps I can trade you some metal for mill work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Data - I am very familiar with the challenges and benefits of side x side designs.

edit Nightshade - There is quite a bit of prior art in this area, both commercial and small run lights.

As far as price - just MHO, but you are pushing the limit pretty hard. The only way I would buy such a light would be if it truely was a "Made entirely in USA or had EU content." If it is just machined / assembled in the US from far east electronics, it kind of takes away from the quality concept of the light.

There are good board shops and electronics available which meet these criteria.

Earlier this month I received my shipment of boards for a very similar light, but not as sophisticated of electroncs. Wayne does a nice job on his electronics designs.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool looking light.

Why do you need the boost part of your buck/boost
converter? With a 6V supply and a 4V LED you should
be able to suck the cells pretty dry without using
boost.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.