PT Pilot

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I was at Gander Mountain the other day and I was able to take a good look at the Princeton Tec Pilot. I have seen them online before but I never really paid attention. They seem like an excellent and handy idea.

I do some caving and I know what it is like to have a light crap out at an inopportune time. I always carry at least one spare, but it can still be somewhat unnerving. That's why I think the Pilot is a neat idea. If your headlamp give out just reach up and tap the button for emergency hands free illumination.

Is anyone else using these on their headlamps? What are your thoughts? I think I will have to pick one up for my new Yukon HL.

WDR65

Enlightened
Matthewdanger,
I have one of these. Right now it doesn't have a home, but by this afternoon it will probably have an EOS as a host soon. Its fairly bright for its size, I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a backup light. I've tested it out on my NiteIze's headband and I can see well enough to walk through the woods or do some small tasks. I doubt I'll need mine for any activities like caving, but who knows. I'd kinda compare it to my Dorcy AAA, its just a little dimmer in comparison.

By the way thanks for the tip about the KL1 got it today. Awesome, now I'm aiming for the KL4.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Oh that was you. Glad I could help. Great guy to deal with wasn't he?

Well it sounds like I will be picking one of these Pilots up. Even if it is just for fun. They really seem to have some sound thinking behind them.

mrme

Enlightened
I bought one on clearance from Sportsnman's Warehouse last spring.

I have it mounted on a Black Diamond Supernova. I just got the 6 volt backup battery working with my LS mod. So now I have pretty much 3 independent light sources in one headlamp! (I still carry at least 2 others in cave, though)

The Pilot did not fit as well on the Black Diamond lights as I thought it would. If you are use PT lights, I would hope it fits better. I think it's a little big for a 2016 powered light. There isn't any way yo keep it from getting bumped on accidentally. As I recall it also requires a screwdriver to change the batteries. Also, a light by your ears puts a lot of glare in your field of vision, especially if you wear glasses.

All this makes it a pretty good backup light, but it is not good enough that I will put one on more than just my primary use light.

Skeeterbytes

Newly Enlightened
I've got a red one I use with my Eos. It makes for a nice combination because the Eos, even on low, can blow out my night vision pronto and of course, like 95% of headlamps turns on to the highest mode to boot. Also, because of the Eos' slotted strap guides it can easily be taken off the headstrap if all I want to have on is the Pilot. Neat!

Latest posts