When to charge?

BrianChan

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone! I'm bought some unprotected 123 batteries and they are on their way to me.I'm planning to put the batteries into my L5 for those 'guilt free' lumens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Has anyone tried this setup before? What's the runtime for a set of fully charged batteries? Since the batteries are unprotected i have to charge them before the voltage gets too low right?For incans i will know when the bulb starts to dim,but how about the L5?It's regulated and it's supposed to pull every drop of power from the batteries.So i'm a bit worried here.Do i charge them when the light falls out of regulation or charge them when i feel it has been running for some time but it's still bright? Any help from the gurus here will be really appreciated,and thanks for spending the time to read my post! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello BrianChan,

Welcome to CPF.

The general rule with Li-Ion cells is to frequently charge them. Of course this depends on how much you use the light and how much the cells are loaded when the light is in use.

The lights I use every day, I generally plan on charging once a week. If I find myself using a light a lot, I will charge more frequently.

I don't know the specifications on the L5, so someone else will have to answer that part of your question.

Tom