Multi type Li-ion Charger's adaptor replacement

AtomSphere

Enlightened
Multi type Li-ion Charger\'s adaptor replacement

Also known by some as the DSD charger shown here Charger

The original adaptor is spoiled. Now i am using my Nokia handphone charger's adaptor to replace it. The charger is still a protected charger because the circuitry is built into the charger and not the adaptor

Original Adaptor's Specs : 5.5v 350mA - chargetime of Protected R123 (750mAH) is 1hour 20min
Nokia Adaptor's Specs : 5.3v 500mA -
Pila charger's specs : 4.6v 1.5AX2

Recommend me a spec or adaptor that i can use that can safely charge a 750mAH R123. It needs to be able to handle both 110v and 230v. I need a higher output adaptor because i usually charge 18500 and pilas and it took very long to get them charged up. Just worried that i get a adaptor too high powered for the R123 and worried it cannot take it.
I like something like the Pila's charger's speed.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Re: Multi type Li-ion Charger\'s adaptor replacement

Hello AtomSphere,

Please be advised that there is no such thing as a "fast" Li-Ion charger. The charge method for Li-Ion cells involves holding a Constant Current until the voltage raises to 4.2 volts, then holding a Constant Voltage at 4.2 volts while the current tapers off. This is known as CC/CV charging.

The constant current is a function of the cells capacity. So far, the maximum charge rate current that the manufacturers allow is equal to the capacity of the cell you are charging (1C). The SUGGESTED rate is 0.7C.

Your 750 mAh cell would have a maximum charge rate of 750 mA and a recommended charge rate of 525 mA.

Since this is not a linear charge method, you will find that even when you charge at 1C, it usually takes in the range of 1.5 - 2 hours to charge a fully discharged cell.

If you charge your 750 mAh cells at 1.5 amps, you will find yourself replacing your cells more often and having less useable capacity while you are using them. I am not sure just how this works, but do know that there have been a hundreds of dollars of cells ruined by trying to fast charge, without success.

Tom

AtomSphere

Enlightened

so you would recommend me a adptor that gives 750mA? so wat voltage would be nice to go with it? Nokia charger at 5.3v pila charger at 4.6v. Something in between? maybe a 5v 750mA?

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Atomsphere,

I believe I would recommend that you size the adaptor to your smallest capacity cells. In this case, I would suggest a 500-550 mA one.

Tom

AtomSphere

Enlightened

smallest capacity is a 750mAH cell. But at what voltage shell i charge them at? i will be using the same voltage and current for all my batteries (R123 750mAH, 18500(1500mAH), pila (150S))

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Atomsphere,

You listed the original adaptor as operating at 5.5 volts and 350 mA. With that information I would look for a 5.5 volt 350-500 mA unit.

The charger should take care of the charging voltage and limit that to 4.2 volts.

Tom