Peak Matterhorn AAA Ultra Initial Observations.

cslinger

Enlightened
What a GREAT little keychain light. I have only had it for a few days now but I have very high praise for it.

My first thought when I opened the package was that the light was way too light and almost delicate feeling. I figured it would be dented and scratched up in the first couple days. Boy was I wrong. It has resided on my key ring getting all sorts of abuse for a few days now and it doesn't even have a scratch.

The output is perfectly acceptible for indoor navigation, reading and even some outdoor use when really dark.

If the runtime on one AAA comes anywhere near Quickbeams review I will be thrilled.

I have used numerous keychain lights over the years and most have the problem of turning on inadvertently in my pocket but the Peak does not do this at all. This is another bonus for me.

The icing on the cake is the fact it takes AAA batteries and seems to make good use of them.

So two big thumbs up from another Peak user.

As an aside their customer service is excellent and I have no regrets giving them some of my hard earned money.

So in short, excellent product, excellent company, kinda pricy but you get what you pay for and that is all I ask. Buy with confidence.

Chris

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
cslinger...I couldn't agree more! I have a Matterhorn Ultra Snow 1 LED on my keychain as well. The tint is absolutely awesome and the ouput is VERY good. I REALLY don't like white LEDs that have the "angry blue spot" in the hotspot...I find it distracting as hell and just plain annoying! I find that it even distracts me in "normal use". The color of the snow LED is VERY pleasing, IMHO, and the quality of the light itself is top-notch!

PJD

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Peak Matterhorn AAA Ultra Initial Observations

I will second what PJD just said /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sarius

Newly Enlightened

I fully agree also. I just came back from a 3,000 mile driving trip with my new 'pocket' matterhorn. It tucks perfectly in my watch pocket. As an example of why I prefer that to a keychain light- at one point on the freeway after dark, we were a bit confused as to where we were. I was able to easily fish it out while driving, something I simply wouldn't try at 80mph from my main pockets to give to my wife, and the very white broad beam was perfect for her to distinguish map colors, while not too bright to distract me.

I might mention that I've found the single led ultra to give great illumination out to about 30', which IMHO is great for this size of light. At night in the motels, it was perfect for those midnight trips /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif while not disturbing my wife, and the ability to 'tail stand' provided more than adaquate illumination in the bathroom. I also found it very handy while checking out, to look in the backs of drawers and the depths of closets to make sure that nothing of value had run off and hidden itself. Doing that paid for the light on this trip alone. Now my wife wants one too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Although my other keychain sized light will always be attached to my Spyderco Jester and tucked into my right front pocket, I've decided to start carrying my Peak AAA as well. I like the fact that in that setting, I not only have a backup light with me, but a spare cell by default. My challenge at this point is whether to carry the 1xLED or 3xLED version. I am going to use the pocket-tube, since I love the instant candlemode capability with that tube over the others.

paulr

Flashaholic

I think a Kydex mini-sheath with lanyard holes would make a great match for the pocket tube Peak. There's already been such a sheath for the Arc AAA and maybe it would fit directly.