I want to put a new L Star in my Zenix IQ - help!

tysonb

Newly Enlightened
Windsor, Canada - across from warzone D (Detroit)
Hello,

i just purchased a new Zenix IQ and would like to upgrade the LStar that it came with - QX1JW. Anyone have any ideas on how to make this brighter and whiter?

Should I just pop in a Lux3 and run it underdriven? I am pretty much only intereseted in a straight star swap as my soldering skills are not quite where my courage needs them to be.

Thanks,

Tysonb

AW

Newly Enlightened
R bin star is the brightest Lux I available. Consider WO or XO for a whiter beam. My personnal favorite is XO tint.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just took mine apart I got at QYAJ, I see the Shoppe has some RYOJ's for 17 bucks. I have a few TWOJ LuxIII stars now which would be the better swap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Later
Kelly

AW

Newly Enlightened
Under driving a TWOJ will give you an ugly yellow/greenish tint. Check the driving current first. If it is under 400mA, I would go for a Lux I because the brightness between Lux I and Lux III is barely noticeable under such low current.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a twoh in my arc ls

at stock current it is very white

it stays white even as the battery dies.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I want to put a new L Star in my Zenix IQ - he

I did the swap and put the TWOJ in you have to trim the plastic ridges down right behind the star a little because the LuxIII is a little thicker than the LuxI other than that it's a drop in mod.

It looks a little brighter to the eye and the color is much whiter on all levels than the QYAJ. I may swap it back out tonight after work and check it with a light meter and compare the two so far I like it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later
Kelly

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tyson,

I did the swap again to check them with a light meter and got 460 Lux with the QYAJ LuxI and 631 Lux with the TWOJ LuxIII YMMV from star to star but that 171 Lux difference at 1 meter. Another thing I noticed right off going from the low dome to a high dome is the beam is much smoother, has better spill and the ring around the outside of the beam is gone.

Beam shots of a small Dog Wood tree around 40 ft.

QYAJ
DSC00117.jpg

TWOJ
DSC00116.jpg

Later
Kelly

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

my arc only feeds the twoh lux3 1 watt or so.

it is very white

gladyou guys are happy with your lux3 swaps

wquiles

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
tysonb said:
can I check the current across the leads with the star connected, or do I need to take it apart first?

[/ QUOTE ]

tyson,
You can measure voltage at the LED without removing the LED, but to measure current you need to insert the voltmeter (set to measure current, of course) in series with the LED, so you need to unsolder at least one of the terminals (pos or neg, it does not mater which one).

Will