New Review Surefire U2 Digital Ultra LED Torch

Cones

Enlightened
Hi,

Review time agian.

This one is one of Surefire's most technical products to date.

Impressive it is to. Why didn't I buy one sooner? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Find it here :- www.cones-stuff.co.uk

GM6I5932%20(Medium).JPG

Thanks

Mark

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, now you know why I was willing to move heaven and earth to get one of the first batches of U2s to come out when it was released. Today it is still my workhorse light. For some reason it is also the most popular light on FLDB, this was unexpected, after all the griping I've heard about the U2.

Those are some BEAUTIFUL pictures you've taken.. on an even nicer camera (I read your EXIF). I've been trying to take portraits of my U2 and I wish I could get them up to your standard! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Cones

Enlightened
Kevin,

Thanks for the nice comments. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A lot of the secret of taking these types of pictures is with the lighting.

I use the following :-

Canon 1DMKII Digital SLR with EF 50mm Compact Macro Lens

Used with two Speedlight 550EX Flash units off camera with a ST-E2 unit to trigger them.

But and this is a big but.

Look closely at the light box. It's a spring out laundry basket from the pound shop :rotfl:
covered in a white sheet.

This setup with ANY digital camera and two fixed light sources. I.E. a couple of halogen desk lights will give similar results for very low cost. Just don't get them too near to anything flammable.
A pro light box looks better and may be larger but costs £80 or more.

This is a good way to start. You can also use it with daylight.

Use a tripod. You can then set very small apertures to give good depth of field.
This will make everything sharp from front to back. Then you can play with the setting to blur the backgrounds and stuff. Hours of fun.

Also use the self timer to avoid camera shake when you press the shutter button.

I started with film and moved to digital.
My other camera is a Canon G3 and this is great for product type still shots. Not so hot for moving aircraft though.

Try to get the best picture you can using the lighting and camera. You can play all day in photoshop but why bother if you get it spot on out of the camera.

Setup1.JPG

Setup2.JPG

I hope this helps?

Mark

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif so much for the detailed tutorial! Looks like I need to build such a light box. Yours is tremendous bang for the buck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I did notice you stopped the aperture all the way down, and that explains the need fore powerful lights. This is one area in which point and shoots seem to work better due to the physically smaller aperture but after having tasted the power of a DSLR I can't go back.

This is about where I am, the U2 was lit by a L4 just off to one side (hence the shadow). Should ideally be above, or as you've mentioned, from both sides.
digitalultra.jpg

My setup is a DRebel XT/350D, 17-85 IS USM lens. Got the tripod too, for the times when IS is just not enough (long exposure shots). Will give it a "shot", maybe I'll try Luxeon lighting instead of halogen, I've had good success with those in the past. Thanks again!!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Thanx for the tips, Mark! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
bernie

Cones

Enlightened
Quick Update. :)

I have now started adding the runtime graphs for the U2 with the AW 2200mAh bare Lithium-Ion Cells.

Thanks

Mark

Example Surefire U2 Level6 (High) with AW 2200mAh bare Lithium-Ion Cell
Surefire%20U2%20Level6%20Bare%2018650%20Li-Ion.JPG

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cones said:
---snip---
But and this is a big but.

Look closely at the light box. It's a spring out laundry basket from the pound shop covered in a white sheet.

This setup with ANY digital camera and two fixed light sources. I.E. a couple of halogen desk lights will give similar results for very low cost. Just don't get them too near to anything flammable. A pro light box looks better and may be larger but costs £80 or more.

Don't laugh too hard, My light box is made from a nice white sheet draped over a framework of PVC pipes that I made myself. I borrowed a VERY expensive "sky globe" once and to tell the truth there just isn't much difference UNLESS photographing jewelery (due to the reflective surfaces).

Cones

Enlightened
Sean said:
Is that a new KL3 in black on that 6P in one of your pictures of the U2?

Were did you get it from?

Yes! :)

Please see the 6P / KL3 review on my site for more. Very impressive it is too.

The kind people at Edgars Brothers in the UK gave me it. :)

HTH

Mark

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Cones,

I agree with the above. Those are great pictures and that was a great review.

Thanks for sharing,
John

Ice

Enlightened
Great review!
There are some comparison pictures with 6 different lights in that review, too. Could you tell me, what that little torch on the left is?
Thanks!