various LED lights from Emilion

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I just recently ordered a bunch of inexpensive 5mm LED lights from Emillions website
I bought a wide selection and decided to post my opinion and observations about them.

First off Shipping took a little over a week which is IMO just as fast as I have gotten things from people in the U.S.
so I was pleased. It came via USPS and since I requested registered mail I had to sign for it which was a plus for me. I am unsure if he always uses this method of shipping though.

I will start with the 70 cent keychain lights. The quality brightness of the LEDs is about average, typical bluish white overdriven LED color. The cases are sturdy and have 4 screws that takes a jewelers screwdriver to remove (I didn't try to open one yet). and the slide switches vary on ease of use. Some are perhaps too stiff for some people to use it as it just about requires a fingernail to lock it in place or put a dent in your thumb (some would say ouch) one the lights the switch didn't lock it in place at all until I played with it and realized that tightening up the bottom two screws fixed the problem.
I got one of each color of the white LED versions and one of each of the colored LED versions. The white versions seemed consistant in LED color/quality in all case colors. I did not pull them out of the packages to test all the switches but the fingernail pull test through the bags revealed most of the switches worked well if not a little stiff.
The colored LED versions use the same color cases as the white ones so you have to either turn them on or look into the LED die to see the yellow phospor. The red and blue LEDs were average with green (to me) appearing considerably brighter with a wider beam. The purple was dimmest of all but had a nice rich pleasing color which should make kids say OOOO in the darkness.

I don't think I got all the keychain lights but I did pick up 4 of the slender barrel types and a fifth that looks like an xnova more than a keychain light.
The Stainless version is very very long for a keychain light nearly twice as long as its smaller brother MOON. The stainless is about the size of 2 1/3 AA batteries lined up in both diameter and length (disregarding keychain). It has a very nice feel to it in your hand but noticably heavy and with that feels sturdy. The switch had a very solid and audibly loud click to it and the optic design puts out a nice ball of light slightly larger than the MOON and mine the color and beam pattern was nearly one solid ball while the MOON had some graininess and a slightly brighter aura on the edge of the ball. The switch on the MOON is much quieter and feels rather squishy compared to the stainless. The MOON takes 3 LR44 (standard button cell) while the stainless takes one AAA. I would rate the Stainless as decent but not inspiring due to the excessive length and weight. It does look elegant though for whatever that is worth. The moon I would rate about the same for opposite reasons. It uses coin cells and with the same size keyring feels too short weight is fine the switch is a normal clicky allowing momentary on normally and seems to work well but the rubber covering feels almost too lose, I would be concerned it would catch on something and be ripped off.
I would say the price I paid for both lights I feel I got at least what I paid for unlike other similarly made lights in the store costing 2-4 times as much these are worth it.

I first looked at the AG3 button cell light and did a double take. This thing is almost exactly the size of a single AAA battery, a little thinner in all but the switch area and around the head where the LED is and longer only at the keychain extension. It uses 4 tiny AG3 batteries and puts out a decent amount of light for its suprisingly diminuitive size. It is a little dimmer than the 70 cent keychain lights
but the momentary (non locking) switch has a wonderful feel and positive click to it. For the price (and if you can get cheap AG3 batteries) this is a bargain for its size for occasional use (barring runtime of the button cells). About the only complaint I can make about it is the ring that attaches on the end of the light is too tight due to the ends of wire pushing against the attaching extension, I whipped out my dremel and a few minutes later it swings freely. For $1.40 the only drawback is the batteries.
If it got an hour of decent output and you could replace batteries for perhaps 50-75 cents the size and form factor of this tiny gem would make it a contender for your keychain.

Another keychain light I ordered was the $3 packaged AAA light. This is somewhat plain looking but slightly elegant due to its very smooth look and silky unpolished aluminum color. Length and diameter matches 1 1/3AA cells not including keychain. It has a recessed but bare LED and a lug type screw on whith the almost identical chain to it as the tiny AG3 version. What is odd is the ring holding the keychain to the light is more suitable for the AG3 version than this light as it is much smaller and lighter (too bad they didn't switch them). It comes with a shinon (heavy duty?) AAA battery inside and the end cap unscrews very smoothly and easily but feels like it is tight enough to not screw off accidentally. Light output is equal to the 2016 coin cells but less angry blue so my guess is the boost circuit is driving this at lower levels than the coin cells do.
I would rate this a good buy for fit and finish and output .
I am unsure of runtime or electronics inside, perhaps when I get everyone that wanted these lights as gifts etc taken care of I will try to rip one open. This is a decent contender for the dorcy AAA IMO (unknown for modding though).

The last "keychain" led light if you want to call it that, is the 5LED 4LR44 button cell light. This comes in two colors (or so it says). I have two of the blue ones.
The size is about 1 1/2 AAs in length and diameter is larger in the barrel and the head diameter is identical to the AAA xnova light but shorter by about 25%. The head of one of mine was loose and blinked some when I was messing with it but after tightening it up it works perfectly. My father liked this one the best of all the lights I got mainly because of the rear endcap clicky switch on it. I have to agree this has a nice sounding and decent feeling click switch. It *feels* to have a slight catch to it but I think that is because of pushing off center due to the large diameter of the *button* cover on it which is larger around that a AA cell and silver (nickle plated?) The switch button does have slightly sharp edges to it slightly sticking out but you have to actually feel for them and the edge isn't far enough out to catch on anything. The threads on the endcap are good, and it screws together well. The light is slightly brighter than its close cousin the xnova AAA. I am thinking it is driving the LEDs harder off the 4 coin cells at start. If you don't mind coin cells and want a reverse click switch this is a great buy for $3.50.

Xnovas.. everyone talks about these lights. I got a small assortment of them in several colors and here are my conclusions pertaining to the ones I got.

Xnova AAA are about 1 2/3AA in length and diameter is perhaps 30% larger than one. They are decent lights the tint of the ones I have are slightly reddish which doesn't make them less useful but *interesting* because I am using to blues and purple tints and these look more warm white to pink and light red up against bluish LEDs. The fit/finish of these are very good
I do not test the HA but I don't see any noticable annoying nicks/scratches (I didn't use a magnifying glass). The end caps screw on very smoothly and unlike some twisty lights the tightness is close to perfect as they do not feel they will fly apart if rolled and I can actually operate these with one hand effortlessly. If you want a AAA light these are worth the price although LED tint could be a concern.

Xnova AAs... Perhaps 1/4 inch longer (1 2/3AA) than the AAA xnova with considerably larger diameter. The "xnova" seems to be a favorite of AA LED lights for bottom hungry feeders (like me). I got a handful in ALL colors in my order as I am guessing people will like these best. I was pleasantly suprised with the fit/finish of these as the AAA version you can one hand use these. The only minor complaint I have is LED tints and one of them has two darker color (dimmer) LEDs in one side which I think is because a difference in Vf. The difference in color is very noticable and my guess is the LEDs got in there from a different batch. Of the 10 I got only one was somewhat marginal in only the LEDs so I am not upset at all since these are a great bargain. Brightness isn't the greatest on these but the nice smooth floodish spot doesn't require excess brightness for most of my uses.

12LED ghost. Almost 2AA in total length, the head is 1/2AA in length and diameter. I got only one of these as I was unsure of how much they would be liked by the non flashaholic. Fit/finish is nice as everything else. It has a slightly shiny flat blue sheen to it and the ridges look odd but give you the feeling it wont fall out of your hand at all by accident.
It is noticeably brighter than the xnovas and the flood/spot is noticeably larger also. One very nice thing is it can tailstand, while none of the other lights I got will without help. This is a nice light definately worth the extra price over the xnova if you don't mind lack of short lanyard but desire tailstand option and approx 30% brighter (guesstimate).

29 LED 3stage 3AAA light (with holster). I ordered one of these mainly for the AAACK!!.. too bright, I can't see factor. This thing is definately something to see in use.
I cannot remember the runtime but my *guess* is 50-90 mins full blast (all 29 LEDs lit). This is a nice light with decent fit/finish. The switch is a little quirky to get used to as you have to push it slightly harder past the definite click to cycle it. I many times clicked it with nothing happening and went had to look at the end to see how many LEDs were lit... ARRRGH! blinded myself. Once you get used to that annoyance and push farther than the click it is a nice light to blast friends into oblivion with. I have even considered yanking one apart for the head to put in a headlamp it puts out an intense spot of light. My only concern is that it may be direct driving the LEDs in all 3 modes because the 3LED mode is unseemingly brighter than usual in other 3LED lights I have. Until someone can give me an idea of the current level driving in that mode I recommend considering reserving that mode for when batteries are more depleted. The tailcap on mine screeeeeeeched loudly when I opened it but a little silicone grease cured that. Battery holder is no problem either. The holster is nice as it has adequate size patches of velcro on both the flap to open and the belt loop area which also has a snap at the bottom which is decent. I showed this to a neighbor that was *talked* into buying 4 shake lights for $17 each and he told me to get him two of them and he was sending back the shakers.

In summary I hoped you found some information useful. I will recap with my *recommendations* regarding the selection I reviewed.

70 cent keychain lights. Good buy even if you get a few with finicky or stiff locking on switches, the quality is plenty good enough for the price. The colored ones are fun also, with the green noticeably the brightest and purple dimmest.

Stainless keychain. decent buy, biggest drawback is slightly higher price and excessive length but quality is reflected in price difference.

Moon, good buy if you don't mind using LR44 batteries. Not a great light but the locking switch makes it more useful than a lot of lights.

AG3 light, very nice and tiny, tiny switch is near perfect in feel/use. Drawbacks keychain can bind some, AG3 batteries can be hard to find cheaply, runtime is questionable also.
If you need a small light on rare occasions for a minut or two this is a gem and well worth the $1.40, if batteries are cheap to get this would be a contender for the lithium squeeze lights for some people.

AAA keychain light (on card w/battery). Nice plain looking light, good buy and nice output for using cheap AAAs.
I would recommend this light instead of giving away dorcy AAAs for all but modders at $3.00

5LED (xnova like) keychain light. Initially very bright, unsure of brightness and runtime. Has good clickswitch and if you have access to cheap LR44s (uses 4) this is a great buy at $3.50 but is really out of size range (as is stainless) for a keychain light IMO.

Xnovas.. good buys with slight risks on LED tints. Just buy a few of them at the cheap prices and not worry about one oddball light. (I am sure Emillion would replace them if you asked) Brightnes isn't thrilling but cheaper than dorcy lights to the point they are almost disposable when broken compared to store bought LED lights. Buy some..

12LED ghost (blue) nice bright light... odd overshaped head the only drawback, tailstanding ability a plus. If you have extra spend a buck and get at least one of these in place of an xnova, you wont be dissapointed.

29LED 3stage light. This is a definate showstopper for folks that have little knowledge of the entirety of LEDness. Get one to dissorientate friends and stray dogs and upset all your buddies with huge lanterns and high powered pinpoint spotlights. They will be in awe of the rather LARGE spot of light this thing puts out compared to the tiny intense spots most of their incans put out. Only concern is possible major overdriving of 3LEDs in first stage.

Thanks for not yawning excessively at my review, questions or comments appreciated but don't ask me for much in the way of beam shots or pics as my digital camera (loaner) isn't well suited for such things.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Lynx Arc,

Thanks so much for the reviews, I've been looking at all of them, mainly to see which would make good kids' toys or party giveaways, so you are right on target!

Really appreciate the comparisons and conclusions! You da bomb!

Cheers,
daloosh

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lynx Arc,
Thanks for taking what must have been a couple hours to write these mini reviews. As a fellow "bottom feeder," I applaud your desire to highlight flashlights priced to attract new or young recruits.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Thanks for the comments, I just got back from my aunts place and she bought a few lights. Her choices were the xnova AAA 5LED in Red, black, and blue and the AAA keychain light for $3. She also really like the uber tiny AG3 but like me until I find a source of cheap batteries I am thinking the runtime and battery availability/price rules it towards a disposable light. Two people I have showed the 29LED *torch* to have bought at least one of them. I took one outside at my aunts house in her rather dark neighborhood and lit up my entire pickup truck at about 60 feet away then a house across the street. It wasn't uber bright but compared to most 2Million CP spotlights you could see at least half the house not just a 2 foot diameter spot. Oh, she also wanted two of the blue ghosts when I showed her how bright it was and it could tailstand. It is useful for an area light in a blackout bouncing off the ceiling. The 29LED tailstands well also.

As for bottom feeders that is also where the gift giving lies for even middle feeders. Even if I could afford $50 lights I wouldn't be giving away $20 lights often but these $3-5.50 lights are nice gifts.

Just checked Emilion's site and he recently (after I ordered) added AG3 batteries 10/1.00 so it looks like I may be buying some more of the uber tiny $1.40 keychain lights.

I just checked the current draw on the 29 LED light using alkalines and it measures 165ma/3LEDs 270/13LEDs 400/29LEDs
on nimh it measures about 120ma on 3LEDs.
I was right on it overdriving the 3LED mode it looks safe at ~40ma/LED using nimh vs 55ma/LED on alkalines slightly used down to 4.4v/3AAAs. My advice would be to run the light on 2nd or 3rd mode till it dims then switch to 3LED mode to extend runtime.

rick88

Newly Enlightened
Lynx Arc - Thanks for the reviews! Sounds like those first 3LED's on the 29 LED light would be great candidates to be upgraded with the Nichia LEDs in the group buy thread. Can you tell if it's easy to get to them for soldering/resoldering?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
rick88,
I haven't gotten to the point of taking lights apart yet. I am still going around to all the people interested in seeing these lights taking orders from them and finding out what I need extra. I do know the 29LED light I got the head was a little loose so I figure the guts come out the front but as I have 3 of them asked for and only one in stock here I am not going to risk ruining one. Give me a few weeks to get everyone taken care of and I will see. I have even thought about putting a resistor inline with the 3LEDs to drop the excess down to 20ma so even if it is dimmer the other 26LEDs should drown it and and longer runtime on low would be nice. Say go from 120-150ma to 60ma would more than double runtime and if you did use nichias that would make it probably even brighter than overdriving them as is.

I want to try putting a nichia in one of the flat aluminum keychain AAAs also. If I had more nichias or 26k LEDs I would be tempted to mod an xnova AAA or AA with them.
I modded a cheap 3AAA 8led light with 26ks similar to what someone else did and althought the beam is a little weirder it uses half the current and is brighter than it was.

rick88

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info! I have the AAA Stainless steel light also and have replaced the LED with a 26k one - much brighter. Will retain the somewhat bluish tint of the original LED, which is good, as my lens has some blothes on it that won't clean off, and the bluish tint does not show them off as much. I tried using a Nichia, but the yellowish tint of the Nichia really showed off the lens' blotches, so I went with the 26k instead.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The AAA stainless would be a nice light if they could shorten it considerably but I think if you made a slug with a lux in it and took out the LED, optics and switch you could have a 2AAA li-ion light. The optic would need to be replaced and the light made a twisty. Perhaps someone with a lathe could chop one down to make a 1AAA lithium ion lux out of it.