ZTS Battery Testers

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently a new banner has been posted on CPF for http://www.ztsinc.com/

They have different battery testers, one of which is the Mini-MBT for $30 + shipping.

What do you guys think of this battery tester? Worth the money, or is there something else you would recommend?

And while we're on this topic, is ZTS a trust-worthy company?

javafool

Enlightened
I have been using ZTS battery testers for over ten years, updating every 4 - 5 years. I started using them to test camera batteries, long before CPF. I think I first read about them in Modern Photography.
They have served me very well over the years.

Terry

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I "keep meaning" to pick one of those up!

Gotta look around here for something else to sell...uh,errrrr - I mean "recycle". Love turning "already spent funds" into something new!

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Aaron,

Your post prompted me to contact the company. I had a very nice discussion with Dave and invited him to check in here.

This tester seems to have some real possibility. They subject the cell to a current load and measure the voltage under load. They then compare that voltage with what they have observed while testing a large number of similar cells and give the results based on that.

For example:
NiMh cells are tested at a pulsed load of 380 mA and CR123's at 800 mA.

Dave is going to send me a technical paper on how this tester works, but from our discussion, it looks pretty good.

Tom

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
SilverFox-

I have been looking at these testers recently. It seems most of us would need (want) the one that sells for about $70. It tests more of the cell types that most of use.

I know you have more knowledge and experience than most of us in this area to evaluate them.

I do hope Dave visits here at CPF. Maybe he will makes us a group offer that we can't refuse.

Mark

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Mark,

I agree, the MBT-1 looks like a pretty universal tester.

I am not sure how big a group it would take to get a discount, but I would be interested as well.

They took a variety of name brand cells, incrementally discharged them and run them through their tester. This is the information they are using to determine the condition of the cells you test. This seems like a pretty good basis to go from.

Tom

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'm in for one, but I am currently "shopping" for best price!

Wanting to patronize a "Supporting Dealer", though listening to my wallet - I have found a source that's a bit more affordable. Don't know if they would be up for a "group buy discount" or not.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PrebKlok said:
It doesn't seems like the testers can handle Li-Ion's...

[/ QUOTE ]
Nor, evidently, can their $70 MBT-1:

Testing capability: 1.2v NiMH rechargeable [AA, AAA, C, D]
1.2v NiCd rechargeable [AA, AAA, C, D]
1.5v "76" series button cell [S76, A76, A625, A640]
3v Li coin [2016, 2025, 2320, 2032, 2430, 58L, 1/3N]
6v "28" series [28A, S28, 28L]
3v photo lithium [CR123, CR2, CRV3]
1.5v alkaline [AA, AAA, C, D, N]
6v photo lithium [2CR5, CR223, CR-P2]
9v alkaline, carbon zinc

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello PrebKlok,

I don't think it is set up for Li-Ion cells, however you can simply use a voltmeter to get a good estimate of remaining capacity.

I am not sure of the exact numbers, but this should get you close:

4.2V - 100%
4.1V - 87%
4.0V - 75%
3.9V - 55%
3.8V - 30%
3.5V - 0%

Please note that these are the resting voltage taken about 10 minutes after the load has been removed.

Tom

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello PrebKlok,

The same reason the writings on a NiMh or NiCd cell say 1.2 volts...

The manufacturers are giving a mid point voltage the cell should be able to produce under load.

Tom

justmetoo

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know how this tester determines the capacity of the battery being tested? Can it tell the difference between a AA NiMH with a rated capacity of 1700mAh and one rated at 2300mAh. Can it tell if you are testing a AA cell or a C cell?
There seems to be no way to select the size of the battery being tested, only if it is NiMH or alkaline.

Roger