splitting 223s?

shootist16

Newly Enlightened
What is necessary to split 223s to be used in a surefire flashlight? Do they need to be wrapped somehow once they are cut out?

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you seen a pic of the 223? They are incased in plastic in a side by side configuration with a internal strap. In most brands the cells are bare and need to be wrapped before use in a regular torch. I have been using Energizer's as the cells are prewrapped.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't have to wrap the bare cell at the negative end of the tube(s) if you use a button switch in an Everready Double Barreled light. Otherwise, you need to wrap.

This is useful because the DB tube is tighter than SF tubes and won't accomodate most hand wrappings.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I use 2 strips of masking tape. One goes from just above the top (wraps around the top edge a little bit) to the middle, and the other goes from that to the bottom and just over the bottom edge.

You can also use some heat shrink tubing--I've yet to try this though.

I like to pull the batteries apart. Just pull hard and that strap should pop off one of the batteries, then you can use pliers to pull it off the other.

While not a life threatning procecure--be careful! You can cut yourself and make the batteries spark if you're careless...

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once you split them and cover them with tape, do they work like a regular CR123? What's the down side to this?

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love splitting 223's i went to interstate batteries and got some 1 inch heat shrink battery pack tubing for 3 cents a foot
shocked.gif
and have been heat shrinking mine with a hair dryer...

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to ASO for the excellent links. I'm going to have to try "the split" someday

Lawrence

Newly Enlightened
A word of caution though ,when pulling off the connecting metal strip which connects up the two bare 123's. After breaking them apart,if the strip stays on the negative side of one of the two 123's , it's ok.But ...if it stays on the positive side , i usually insert a small piece of tape to act as an insulator , to prevent arcing as they might get shorted , especially during the process of 'pulling' and 'twisting' with a plier.

A nasty shock or burn will be resulted if you're careless.A phobia with this splitting process will then follow suit.

For those with sweaty palm ,pls take precaution .You don't wanna be a conductor between the +ve and -ve .

Good luck...and have fun!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

shootist16

Newly Enlightened
Any tips for removing the band? Does it come off easily or does it take some work?

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
just grab with needlenose pliers and peel it away from the spot welds. there may be a small sharp nipple left over which i file down with a small sharp flat file.

shootist16

Newly Enlightened
Got several 223's and split them. They work great. I got energizers. Some were already wrapped. These were easy to get out and already being wrapped was a bonus. Some of the Energizers were not wrapped and the plastic case was solid. This was more of a ***** to get out and then I had to wrap them. From now on I will get the Energizers with the split case as they were much, much easier.

This is an excellent way to get lithium batters. I paid $9.50 for six 223's. Which equals $0.79 for each 123!

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody know where I can get the correct shrink wrap for the 223's. The tape is peeling up on my batteries. I need to know the size and the brand.

php_44

Enlightened
Originally posted by shootist16:
Got several 223's and split them. They work great. I got energizers. .....
This is an excellent way to get lithium batters. I paid $9.50 for six 223's. Which equals $0.79 for each 123!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If I might ask --- Where are you folks getting cheap 223's? Online? Is there a US walk-in type of retailer selling these cheap - W*lmart's single 223 price is not very good...

georget98

Enlightened
I got mine on ebay. Seller carguy21. $2.99 + $3.00 shipping = $5.99 for four 223's. That's .75 per 123. They put my Brinkmann Legend LX to full brightness.