• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Comparing the McLuxIII-PD to other lights

kennyj

Enlightened
I've wondered for some time if anyone ever got some beamshots or at least took some consistent light meter readings that can be used to compare the PD to other lights with a comparable form factor or featureset. I'd really like to see it compared to the HDS EDC, Surefire KL4 head, and a few of the Innova lights, for example. Anyone have any info?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
kennyi ... you can use any comparison of an Aleph2 head with a similar drive current (580mA) and bin as the PD uses the same reflector.

It is more concentrated than the SF L4 and throws better (but isn't a real thrower either), but produces less overall light and heat as well as significantly more runtime.
No idea about the HDS and the Innova though.

bernie

sbebenelli

Enlightened
Don't know if you still need these or not but I just got the McLuxIII-PD today and took some pictures of it and my EDC basic 42. The EDC is on left PD on right on all pictures.

EDC on secondary PD on low

img02247mi.jpg

EDC on Primary PD on low.

img02237pr.jpg

EDC on Maximum PD on High.

img02268rh.jpg

Kiessling

Flashaholic
PD on right?
It really has a tighter beam than the EDC?

Can you take a shot with hotspots overexposed but clearly visible coronas?

Thanx for those pics!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

bernie

sbebenelli

Enlightened
Yes the PD has a tighter beam than the EDC. I'll try to get those picture sometime this weekend.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bernie: the EDC U60 I just got has a beam not unlike that of a SO17 that I have with a TWOJ dirven at 750mA, and the PD has a McR20 reflector, got I love the reflector...

But the EDC covers a bigger area with my naked and somewhat biased eye...albeite only for 20 minutes.

SO I now carry both... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

kennyj

Enlightened
That's AWESOME. Makes me a bit more confident that the PD was a good choice compared to the EDC as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd still love to have a lumens rating (I guesstimate that it falls somewhere between 40 and 50 at minimum on high) but pictures ARE worth a thousand words.

Ophiuchus

Newly Enlightened
One thing I gotta agree on is they are both very expensive, with thin bezels prone to denting if dropped onto concrete,etc. The PD is set for only two levels,if you are not happy with the low level..too bad. For $200.00 suck it up.

sbebenelli

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Ophiuchus said:
One thing I gotta agree on is they are both very expensive, with thin bezels prone to denting if dropped onto concrete,etc. The PD is set for only two levels,if you are not happy with the low level..too bad. For $200.00 suck it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bezel on the PD protrudes past and protects the head and if dented can be replaced. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Yes both these lights are expensive. So is gas. Are you still buying it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

KingSmono

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
sbebenelli said:
Yes both these lights are expensive. So is gas. Are you still buying it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... apples to oranges. One is elastic, one is inelastic. Just out of curiosity, what are the high/low drive levels of your PD? Thanks.

-Allen

McGizmo

Flashaholic
If one plans to use either the HDS or PD in rough duty with good drops, I suggest the use of the SF beam shapper and if not that, the MagAA filter kit, sans the filter. In other words a good rubber bumper on the front end. As Sbebenelli pointed out, the PD has a bezel ring that has been extended past the head to allow for full wall thickness in a single part which will receive the the force on impact. I expect that in many cases, the bezel "bumper" will be up to the impact and keep the head from experiencing permenant damage. I also opted for the less efficient sapphire window over glass in consideration of a bezel bump imparting stress to the window and causing unseen chipping or worse case, cracking of the window. In the event that the bezel were damabed beyond removal, it would be nice if the window were still in good shape to allow for continued use of the light unimpeded by poor light transmision and/or with the sealed integrity of the optic chamber compromised.

Regardless of the cost of these tools, proper care will insure better service and if the activity is prone to subjecting the lights to dropping, either a tether or rubber bumpers might be a good idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

The low drive level of Sbebenelli's light is approximately 30 mA and the high is in the low 500 mA range. These levels are set with sence resistors that are accessible for exchange with the removal of a single #0-80 screw; certainly not something one can change in the field. Given the capacity of a CR123, the nature of the converter and the size and typical use of the light, there is no reason to change the stock levels, IMHO. BTW, I would hope that anyone unhappy with their lights or any other tools they might be using would either change the tools being used or seek happiness elsewhere if a tool change were not posible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Yes these lights are expensive!!! From my point of view, I wish that they sold for 4x what they sell for. On behalf of the customer and their point of view, I wish they sold for 1/4 of what they sell for. Fortunately, any purchase is optional and no one is forced to buy or sell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
I'm planning to post a comparison sometime of the following:

1) Modified Q3 with TWOJ
2) Mclux PD with TWOJ
3) KL4 head on FB1
4) HDS Basic60

hopefully in the next week or so. Until then, my quick review is that the PD and HDS are the most reliable and practical of the bunch even though they are not the brightest. The KL4 and modded Q3 get really hot (on Li-Ions) and have short run times. The KL4 has no low level with a FB1 and the 15 ohms I used on teh Q3 is too high a low level.

Lots of plusses and minuses on the B60 and PD - I'll save that for the formal post.

moeman

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Ophiuchus said:

[/ QUOTE ]

also, i have not seen one in the B/S/T or C/B/S/T not sell... with less of a mark down/loss than most lights.
chris

nightshade

Enlightened
No my employer buys my gas and some of my lights, fun to watch the lights come on in the McDiz camp and see the natives stir though, even woke up the tribes chief. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, I will be home in an hour to check that e-mail I PMed you last night. Hope the news is good.

Karl /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Unfortunately ... if you want the best, you'll have to pay a certain price. The HDS and the PD are among the best if not the best in this category. If the price is justified depends on your needs and wishes, and I strongly suggest analyzing both before purchase as you might be just as happy and satisfied with a cheaper alternative.

A note on drive levels: if you don't have some special needs I strongly suggest to take the standard 580/30 mA levels as those are certainly up to almost all tasks you would want to resolve with an EDC light and represent the optimum compromise between brightness, runtime, heat and efficiency.

bk

javafool

Enlightened
What would make the PD so much better than an Aleph 2, NG500, with a chopped tail cap? I am really interested because so far I have resisted updating to a PD.

moeman

Enlightened
more versital, can use primary cells and/or rechargables.
bomb proof very solid design, all the woking parts are in the head...