Tri Lux3 power source: 6 AA or 4 C cells?

Crux

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to know which would be better at running 3 lux3s, series connected to a boost convertor; 4 C alkies or 6 AA alkies? Rechargables are not (yet) in consideration, but input on these is also welcome.

I figure 3 Lux3's need about 11 watts (with 82% convertor eff.).

IF four alky C cells are 4.8V @ 2.3A load (1.2V each), and IF 6 AA cells are 7.2V @ 1.5A (1.2V each), I think the C cells will outlast the AA's. But will they last long enough to pay for themselves?

What about 8 AA alkies? (9.6V @1.1A)

Any thoughts and corrections to my assumptions are welcome.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Crux said:
I'd like to know which would be better at running 3 lux3s, series connected to a boost convertor; 4 C alkies or 6 AA alkies?

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither, the alkies will sag too much under the current demand of the boost convertor if you want to run three LuxIII's any where near spec, go with NiMH or Li-Ion rechargeable cells it's the only way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later
Kelly

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
6-8 alkalines look good for that setup.
One way to help that, would be to go with, low as possible voltaged Luxeon3's.
Like T**J or better yet T**H binned Luxeon3's.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
6AA Alkaline will be OK for short burst (seconds). Once you run it for 3-5 minutes the batteries heats up & failed to delivered the required 1.5A/cell for 3xTW0Js. It kinda good cause it'll keep the light cooler /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7AA will reduce your dimming capability (assuming that you're using a fatman).

8AA will go into direct drive for J-Vf and maybe even K-Vf.

Like Sway say go with rechargeable it's cheaper in the long run & better for performance