improved batt charging clamp instructions

cy

Flashaholic
Here's the latest updated charging clamp from here: EZ $3 recharging battery clamp for odd size cells

improvements include:

1. 14 guage monster wire (12 would be better) 8inch recommended for triton. $1
2. brass contacts, lamp parts from hardware store $1
3. mini-clamp $3
4. gold banana plugs $6 radio shak, could have used $3 version

A. secure all materials
B. cut monster cable to desired length. I did 10 inches.
C. trim cable and solder to brass fitting.
D. remove rubber clamp pad and discard. then drill hole thru plastic clamp slighty smaller than threads. keep hole straight.
E. thread brass fitting into plastic clamp head hole
F. attach banana clips, gold clips were solderless

your done!

Edit: picture updated to show plastic banana clips instead of gold type

charging clamp.JPG

charging clamp 2.JPG

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Excellent - thanks much cy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif

I will try to build me a set (or two) this comming weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Will

cy

Flashaholic
here's a pic showing common brass lamp hardware used. note groove used to wrap cooper wire before sodering.

charging clamp 3.JPG

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Cy,

Excellent upgrade. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

On a side note, I was just reading about some cautions when using banana plugs. It seems that if you charge 2 or 3 Li-ion cells in series and break the connection at the end of the charge by removing the banana plug from the charger, and if the two banana plugs come into contact with each other, there is enough potential to weld the plugs together. This produces a dead short on the battery and things heat up rapidly.

I ended up putting some small "O" rings around the body of my banana plugs, but think some heat shrink would be better.

At any rate, caution is advised. It is better procedure to disconnect by opening the clamp.

Tom

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice looking charging clamp, but I wouldn't want anyone to think that gold plugs and such heavy gauge wire is necessary. By far the high resistance point in cy's clamp charger is going to be at the point the clamp contacts the cell.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
SilverFox said:

On a side note, I was just reading about some cautions when using banana plugs. It seems that if you charge 2 or 3 Li-ion cells in series and break the connection at the end of the charge by removing the banana plug from the charger, and if the two banana plugs come into contact with each other, there is enough potential to weld the plugs together. This produces a dead short on the battery and things heat up rapidly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point.

A good practice to get into with things like this is to offest the ends a bit. Make one say two inches longer than the other. It makes 'accidents' very difficult. This even only comes up because the connections are against 'the rules', as the source male. Energy sources should always be female (like the lamp and outlet it's plugged into). Consider extension cords......

There's a sexist line in there somewhere....

Doug Owen

stringj

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
It seems that if you charge 2 or 3 Li-ion cells in series and break the connection at the end of the charge by removing the banana plug from the charger, and if the two banana plugs come into contact with each other, there is enough potential to weld the plugs together. This produces a dead short on the battery and things heat up rapidly.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why that is a bad practice to begin with. I have always used sermos connectors to connect to cells when charging since no electrical contacts are exposed should I need to unplug things in a hurry. Thank you for bringing this subject up.

Jerry

cy

Flashaholic
silver, excellent point about dead-short danger with those fancy gold banana plugs.

off they go.. in favor of plastic bodies ones. I may try off setting one plug also.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy:

Is the diameter of the knurled head of the screw small enough to make contact on any cell? I've seen on RCR123 cells that the amount of wrapper overlap varies by manufacturer and making contact at the negative end a problem!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I like using the dual banana plugin setup. I don't know the seperation of the plugs on the triton but a lot of power supplies and meters using banana plugs space them apart so you can use them. This eliminates plugs ever touching each other and reduces stress of either wire on the plugin by essentially transferring the shock/jerk to both sockets. They also make stackable dual plugins which would allow you to plug in other items like perhaps an external voltmater etc or if desired another clamp to charge batteries in parallel (not necessarily recommended).

cy

Flashaholic
picture is updated to reflector change to plastic handle banana plugs instead of Gold version.

also plug was off-set, had to split cable due to plug pulling out by itself.

thought about the issue post being too big for positive nipples, but no problems so far.

wasblinded, heavy short cables to charging rig is exactly what triton and other intelligent chargers recommend.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:

wasblinded, heavy short cables to charging rig is exactly what triton and other intelligent chargers recommend.

[/ QUOTE ]

And when charging at the extremely high currents into high amp-hour battery packs that RC guys use, large gauge cable is useful. But in the 1-3 amp range for flashlight cells (though there may be rare exceptions) your clamp leads are still overkill. Not a bad thing, just more than needed.

cy

Flashaholic
OK here's the next evolution of the charging clamp.

simply go the next size larger clamp, purchased harbor freight tool for $4 on sale. all other instructions are the same from first page.

this will allow charging of 2D to 6 or 8AA adapters or 3x C cells.

charging clamp 5.JPG

Last edited:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the head's up, cy. My local Harbor Freight had the 12" clamps on sale for $1.99 today.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cy.....I still can't find that clamp for sale!!! I would be willing to trade the Arc Ls with 123 case for someone to make me a high quality holder, just let me know if interested via email. the Arc ls is used but in very good condition.
Thanks!

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
lrp said:
Cy.....I still can't find that clamp for sale!!! I would be willing to trade the Arc Ls with 123 case for someone to make me a high quality holder, just let me know if interested via email. the Arc ls is used but in very good condition.
Thanks!

Harbor Freight has 'em, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46807. You might consider a few of the (new improved) $3 DMMS, Item 90899 while yer there. The clamp is $3.50, they have a smaller one that also looks promising.

Doug Owen

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nethiker, yes that would do...are you interested? Let me know and I will send you the Arc Ls w/123 case, just send me your mailing address. Thanks!