Active cooling on MH-C204F

Deviant

Enlightened
i just got my Maha charger today and during charging the batts got quite hot so i added a 12V 60mm papst fan
600.gif

with some rubber dampers and it fit just right.

the issue is, i read some where that some charger cut off when the batts reach a certain temp, i wonder if with this active cooling will it have any disruptive effects?

bmsmith

Enlightened
I think the MAHA C204F uses 0deltaV to determine when the cells are charged instead of measuring temperature. You should be fine using a fan with this charger.

- Brian

Deviant

Enlightened
Brian,

thanx for the tip. how abt the RAYOVAC 1-HOUR NiMH CHARGER? does is use temperature or 0deltaV to determine if the batt is fully charged? rayovac wif a fan will be perfect, fast and long batt life

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
Don't know- I've had mine switch-off with cool batteries, if I stick partially-charged ones in for a topping-off.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a similar cooling technique for the Rayovac 1-hour charger using a fan salvaged from an old PC. The charger terminates properly with batteries slightly above room temp, so my guess is it uses delta-V for charge termination. Also, to terminate charge with delta-T, you need thermistors mounted directly on the battery.

Deviant

Enlightened
PsycoBob[Q2].

but some day u will need to discharge the batts all the way down and charge them full, that's where the heat built up might be of concern.

CM
slightly above room temp, that would be hot for me cos rm temp at the equator is approx 30C-32C. but since your fan is from an old com it might not be that powerful. anyway i guess i will be getting that 1hr Nimh charger

dark star

Enlightened
My Rayovac 1-hour charger never has gotten my batteries hot, just a little warm - from a little charge to full charge.