NiMH cells legnth of AA, width of Cr123?

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
are there cells that are as long as AA cells, and have the same diameter as a Cr123? I'm wondering because i have a longbow eco tube, and thought i could get a pretty long time if i removed the plastic tube, and used cells as thick as a cr123.

If there are cells like this, how would i charge them? i have a slow charger, would that work? it is only meant for AA and AAA cells.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
"AA" cells are 14x50mm. 123As are a "2/3 A" size at ~17x28mm

What you're looking for is an "A" size battery, at ~17x50mm. The best NiMH "A" cells I've seen are Sanyos rated at 2700mAh. Batterystation has them for $4/each (HR-AUX) - interestingly, Sanyo doesn't have that part listed on thier web site of cell specs. The Sanyo HR-AU(X) can be fast charged in 1 hour.

I've plopped bare A cells into a charger intended for AA cells I did create a little nub on the positive terminal of the cell with some solder to make contact. In a 4-cell charger, I could only fit 2 cells since they were so fat, but the charger did work with them and charged them successfully.

If you're willing to go with a slightly longer cell (68mm) you can get a "4/3A" cell with about 4000mAh of capacity - size is 17x68mm. Those are also on sale at Batterystation for $4 each. Those can also be fast charged, but are too long to fit in a AA slot of a charger.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I think size A is what you're after. Those are almost the same diameter as a CR123, and about the same length as a AA.

They should work in any charger they physically fit in. An A cell might still be able to make proper contact in a AA changer, although you probably could only use half the slots due to the larger diameter.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
evan9162 said:
Just edged you out on that one, jtr! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
Thank you guys, really helped me out. I think i'm going to be getting two A cell batteries. I have a stupid 12 hour charger. Does anyone know of an ac + dc charger (one that can run on both ac and dc) where i could fast charge my batteries (that is fairly inexpensive).

I wont be mad at any of you if my light DOES happen to blow out, but do you think it would? it's meant for 2 AA cells, but it can fit two A cells (it uses a little plastic tube thing for the difference)

I realize not many people will respond to the battery charger thing, but if either of you two happen to check, and happen to know of a good charger, i'd be very super duper appreciative if you could let me know. After i get the batteries, i'll probably make a post about what type of charger to get.
and again, thank you =)

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're looking for AA charges, the Lacrosse is a good one, or the Energizer 15 minute. After 12 hours, 15 minutes is.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]

I wont be mad at any of you if my light DOES happen to blow out, but do you think it would? it's meant for 2 AA cells, but it can fit two A cells (it uses a little plastic tube thing for the difference)

[/ QUOTE ]

No reason I can think of. NiMH cell chemisty gives you pretty much the same voltage regardless of size/capacity. An "A" cell with higher capacity than a AA will give you slightly higher voltages for longer (due to lower internal resistance and higher capacity), but if the light can handle 123A cells or alkaline AAs, there's no danger from 2 NiMH cells of any size/capacity. A 123A or 2AA alkalines will deliver 3.1-3.2v initially, whereas the highest 2 hot-off-the charger NiMH will deliver is 2.8-2.9V.

AW

Newly Enlightened
If you can go for LiIon cells, there are 16500s that is the exactly size you are looking for.

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
naw, i would go for Li-ion, but they are hard to charge, and can blow up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif, they sort of are scary (even though i own pila and some r123s)