*** Extreme 1AA M@g Mod ***

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast
1aa27mmhead21da.jpg

Another M@g mod taken to extremes. The scraps bodies are left over from MiniMiniMiniMag mod. I kept it because I thought some good might come from it. One day, reality strikes, as I was toying around these scrap tubings; I noticed that the length fits 1AA with sandwich on top perfectly. More importantly, tail end is already threaded, so less works on machining. However, a lot of machining still for sandwich housing adapter, and head assembly to make it works. My plan for the head is something definitely with bigger head (throw further), unique, using parts that's widely available in the market, and more importantly practical usage. I took drawings and concept in my head to a friend of mine who owns machine shop to get started. About three days later, I got to see big head 1AA prototype.

1aa27mmhead47kg.jpg

1aa27mmhead71gx.jpg

1aa27mmhead67dm.jpg

1aa27mmhead83xv.jpg

1aa27mmhead93wx.jpg

The big head use SO27XA 27mm because its the biggest I could find, widely available, and not expensive. Head is design around the reflector and keeping as close to stock looked as possible without copying it. Final product is unique, contours flow nicely with the body, and no sharp edges to disrupt the flow. It is softer look not to aggressive. Next step is to give it nice coat of HA3 natural, HA2 black or nickel plated to improve looks and surface hardening.

1aa27mmhead128ns.jpg

As for throw test, I used MM W/O TV1K 14500 Li-Ion setup, and tested for 1 meter readings using Metermann 631 and results as follow.

IMS20mm @ 1 meter = 915lux
IMS27mm @ 1 meter = 1590 lux

Field test, says it all. Throw is now much further, but with sacrifice of flood beaming. As results of bigger and thicker heads, I think you can run it with slightly hotter set up, Probably BB750 or MM w/o with "U" Flux.

Work in progress:
1. More aggressive head design.
2. Bigger body for 123A or 18650 batteries.

Thanks for looking,

Setapong

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast
HgRyu,
Thanks for the in put. I was thinking of similar setup. For one thing, 18650 will provide much longer runtime.

AW,
I've no problem with pic.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I just wish there was an alternative switch other than the blasted kroll. Mine worked ok for about 3 days and since then gives me troubles non-stop. I've tried all kinds of things to fix it.. grr

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice Setapong! You are very talented. These look very nice however and I'll bet they'll fly if you make some up. I know I'd be in for a nickle plated one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As an aside, and I've said it before, your MMMM's are super! The one I received from you with the 20mm bored head with McR20 has become my EDC and I'm never without it.

I'm also in IssacHaye's camp and don't much care for the Krolls. They're just too finicky most of the time. Their momentary on is too easily activated and I've had MM's drain their batteries when working with one in my pocket. An alternative to the Kroll is long overdue.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice! Do these screw onto a normal Minimag body?

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast
icarus,
thanks.

IsaacHayes,
I understand how frustrated it is with Kroll. I have quite a few gone bad myself. I think the problems lies at the big spring that contacted battery. It seems to get corroded very easily. I now coated with WD40 for long storage and problem seems to disapear.

Gene,
Thanks for nice comments and I'm glad MMMMag is your EDC. I'll see what I can do with tail switch.

Mags,
No, it doesn't fit normal MiniM@g body due to different thread. Me and my friend have tried several days threadding 4x5 thread pitch (minimag thread), but it is nearly inmposible to do on normal lathe.

Krit

Enlightened
Hi Khun Setapong, I come to see and cheer for your new inventive idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Khun Krit. My contribution is only a small portions to contribute to CPF community.

Makarov

Enlightened
Hi H22A, if you manage to do MM-threads you should make a +1 AA adapter out of these, I've been dreaming about a 3AA MM for a long time, and I think I remember seing a adapter once but can't remember where /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Actually I think it was the search for such an adapter that brought me to CPF...

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Makarov,

Thank you for the suggestions. It is very good idea for DD Mag. I'll look into it. Thanks.

HgRyu

Enlightened
I'm also interested in +1 AA adapter(in HA3) to make 3AA miniMag.

Any news ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast
HgRyu,

I have talked to the guy at machine shop and he said it can be done. I'll get back to you with a prototype next week. Thanks.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Makarov said:
Hi H22A, if you manage to do MM-threads you should make a +1 AA adapter out of these, I've been dreaming about a 3AA MM for a long time, and I think I remember seing a adapter once but can't remember where /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Actually I think it was the search for such an adapter that brought me to CPF...

[/ QUOTE ]
CPF member EviLithiumMan posted a picture of a production extension Mini-Mag AA piece. It was about a year ago.

I have not been able to find it in CPF search mode though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I sent him a PM about it 3 months ago-with no response.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Makarov

Enlightened
I know there exist an AA extension, I think I saw it in some (gun)magazine in the 90's.
Ah well, if H22A can make one, I'm in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I want to do the 120 lumens MOD with a lot of juice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Makarov said:
I know there exist an AA extension, I think I saw it in some (gun)magazine in the 90's.
Ah well, if H22A can make one, I'm in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I want to do the 120 lumens MOD with a lot of juice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

All parts are at machine shop and hopefully should be done this week. However, I'll start new post for this mod. Stay tunned folks.

HgRyu

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
All parts are at machine shop and hopefully should be done this week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you make them in HA3 finish ?