Free B90 Battery Parts to Best Story...

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
I just found an old B90 battery that I had put away. It was a backup battery that used to sit in my duty bag. One day when stuffing my bag in my locker, I heard a small pop much less than a firecraker. Later I found that the battery cap had come off, and the battery had contacted a loose 9mm round, causing it to explode. None of the fragments exited the cordura bag it was in. (cartridges that go off outside of a chamber don't build up much pressure and just fragment the brass casing, probably wounldn't hurt much unless a piece hit you in the eye from really close.)

Anyway, I always meant to send the battery back to SF along with the cartridge fragments, but I forgot and now a few years later I no longer have my 9N. So I just took the slightly damaged but completely usable parts off and am offering them to the best B90 story in the next couple days... Or the best plan to build a new pack, or whomever happens to reply if nobody has any stories, or to nobody if nobody replies...

What I have:
- Plastic Collar
- Metal Top Contact with Side Contacts

What You Need:
- 3 Sub C-Cells with Tabs (Please use Good Sanyos!)
- 9v battery contact for top contact
- Shrink Wrap
- Insulation for side contacts
- Soldering Iron and skill/patience!

Enjoy,

Dennis.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got every thing I need to rebuild that battery back execpt the sub-c cells and a light to put it in! But I can't come close to beating the story that you told, Dennis!

Saaby

Flashaholic
shocked.gif
I don't even know what a B90 would fit in
all.gif

guncollector

Enlightened
Dennis-

See my thread here: Help with Surefire Sub-C Transplant.

In short, I've succesfully been able to transplant 3 Sanyo 2400mAH sub-C cells in place of the Surefire "Crappy-Mystery" (TM) cells.

So far the results have been encouraging. Though I get "false-peaks" (i.e. false green light) from my CN400 charger, with a 24 hour charge I was able to get brilliant white light (whiter than the standard B90) for close to 40 minutes.

I'm now in the process of testing charge-hold ability (over 1-4 weeks) of my new Frankenstick (which I've given the moniker "X90").

I have 3 more Sanyo sub-C cells awaiting procurement of the proper B90 fittings for transplant (which would help a great deal in the charge-hold tests). So in short, I could use whatcha got!

End Story.

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
guncollector,

Hmmm, not a bad story! We'll see if anyone deserves the parts more, though your current "X90" effort will be hard to beat.

I built a B92(?) for my 9N using Sanyo 2400's and it would stay bright for about 65-70 minutes. It would also hold a charge just fine for weeks at a time. However, I used a high-end RC Car charger to get perfect charges. This may be something worth looking into since RC stuff is getting better and cheaper all the time. I can also use the charger to charge all kinds of batteries from 1-12 cells, .01 to 6A, Delta V, Timed, Pulsed, blah, blah, blah. Probably the best battery investment I ever made.

Good Luck!

Dennis.

guncollector

Enlightened
Dennis-

Which charger to you use? Is it a Maha brand? Please advise as with all the camcorder, cell phone, portable phone, Nicd, laptop, flashlight, etc. batteries I have--it's probably about time I get one!

I'm looking specifically at the Maha MH-C777 Plus II. Says it charges 1.2V to 14.4V NiMH or NiCD, and 3.6V to 14.4V Lithiums. Says it automatically senses battery voltage and takes over the charging sequence! Bitchin'!
grin.gif

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
guncollector,

It is a RC Car Tekin Rapid Charger(don't remember model offhand) on which you can set Quick Charge Amperage, Delta V, Pulse, Trickle Amperage, Time, etc... It also displays all the info you want too, like current V and especially charge Amperage used. Unfortunately, it only has Alligator and RC clips so you have to get or make your own brackets. Also, you have to learn all about various NiCD and NiMH charging theories to be able to set it for different batteries. However, once that is done you can custom charge your batteries however you want, slow, fast, or anywhere inbetween. I don't think they make it anymore but you can go to any hobby store and get them to show you whats new. It was $250, another downside, but I have seen newer models for much cheaper. Just make sure you get one that can handle the number of cells you want (1-12 is great!) and has the options you want as far as Amperage, Charge Types, and Displayed Info.

I also have the Maha and really like it as well for the display/discharge options. However, it only has a set charging and trickle rate, about 880mAh and 180mAh, and I don't think the Delta V is as efficient as my nice charger judging by how it heats up batteries pretty warm. It works fine though, and isn't a bad alternative to a more complicated and expensive RC Car charger.

Think of it as the difference between a Ford Mustang and a Porsche 911. The Ford pretty much does the same thing, but the Porsche does it cleaner, faster, and lets you decide how to use the power as opposed to brute force. (Ok, not a perfect analogy but oh well!)

Dennis.

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
guncollector,

I just reread your post and I am pretty sure that even new RC Chargers DO NOT do Lithium batteries. (Cell, Camcorder, laptop...) I have found that these are best charged with an OEM charger since they can have varying charge patterns. The Maha seems to work OK at this, but I still prefer OEM.

A super duper RC charger may not be worth it for you unless you have more NiMH and NiCD you can charge with it.

Hope this helps,

Dennis.

bmsmith

Enlightened
Dennis is correct that most if not all RC chargers do not charge lithium-ions. None of the "high end hobby" quality RC vehicles use such batteries to my knowledge.

Dennis, is it the Tekin BC112C? I have two of those and I love them. Too bad Tekin is gone. Newer firmware revisions of the BC112C supported NiMH batteries.

I think lemlux is using an MRC SuperBrain charger. One of the most respected charger manufacturers is Novak ( http://www.teamnovak.com ) with the Ionic charger, but it might not be configurable enough in terms of charge current and number of cells. I think Astroflight makes some nice chargers ( http://www.astroflight.com/ ), especially the 112D. Very configurable.

- Brian

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
bmsmith,

Yup, it's the BC112 with AC power, and has the newer NiMH capable firmware.

The local hobby shop displays the card of a guy that specializes in Tekin Repairs and probably can do FW updates. Let me know if you want the info and I will swing by sometime and get it. This would be in the Southern CA area.

Dennis.

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
guncollector,

Well, I guess you win! Even though you were the sole real contestant it sure sounds like you are prepared to put the parts to use.

Email me, I'll email you, and I'll get the parts sent out to you!

Enjoy,

Dennis.
[email protected]

Latest posts