Runtime graphs and reviews by chevrofreak

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my new equipment and a buddy wrote a cool program that will convert the logs to a format that can be directly imported into my favorite graphing program, so here are my results so far.

Costco%20luxeon.png

This Costco light came from the factory with this QX0H which surprised me. I added a S027XA reflector and mineral glass lens. As you can see the runtime is quite different than flashlightreviews.com got.

This next light is the Digilight TLX which is basically their T6 with a 3W LED module. http://www.digilightusa.com/Catalog/product-detail.asp?pid=45

Digilight%20TLX.png

If you look closely you can see a very rapid dropoff of output within the first few seconds of operation.

Next is the Digilight LXK-53B. This light came from the factory with a TW0J which was another big surprise for me. I like this light a lot. http://www.digilightusa.com/Catalog/product-detail.asp?pid=38

Digilight%20LXK-53B.png

Here is a composite of the two Digilight LED lights.

Digilight%20LED%20composite.png

Look for more graphs and full reviews to come in the future.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Runtime graphs by chevrofreak

Putting a new LED in a Q3 has always been a popular mod, and many opted to go with TW0J as their bin of choice, me included.

Q3%20TW0J.png

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool graphs!

Wow...your Q3 is ...um...a dud. 30 minutes???

Those little digilights look pretty nice...the regulation looks good.

Bob

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
Cool graphs!

Wow...your Q3 is ...um...a dud. 30 minutes???

[/ QUOTE ]

With a TW0J and using a protected rechargeable CR123a thats not a bad runtime, especially considering the light output.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use an older Watt Stopper FX-200 (http://www.wattstopper.com/products/details.html?id=4) with the analog output hooked up to a Circuit Test DMR-5200 (http://www.circuittest.com/English/Content/Items/DMR-5200.asp) then from that to my computer with a 25 foot serial cable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I use the program my friend Ryan wrote for me to convert the log file into a point series that can be imported into Graph (http://www.padowan.dk/graph/)

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I purchased this inexpensive AAA light claiming to be made of steel, and I do believe it is. It appears to be chromed, and scraping it rather had with a knife produced no damage at all.

generic%20AAA%20knurling%20detail.jpg

Its size is comparable to most other single AAA twist activated lights, its machining on the knurning is excellent and the hole for keyring attatchment should prove very durable. My only complaint about the machining is that they used a rather fine thread on the head. This isnt really a problem if care is taken not to crossthread it.

generic%20AAA%20opened.jpg

The electronics are exposed a bit inside the light, and the lack of foam padding makes the battery rattle when the head isn't tightened. I have found a neoprene washer the exact size needed and have been simply setting it on the battery before screwing on the head. It works very well and adds some physical resistance to tightening the head which prevents accidental activation.

generic%20AAA%20compared%20to%20AA%20battery.jpg

The head has a small reflector machined into it which works very well to project sidespill to illuminate an entire room.

Using a Rayovac Maximum Plus AAA alkaline I saw a peak output of 35 lux which is comparable to an Arc AAA and most other single AAA 5mm lights. Light output is incredibly white, infact it is the whitest I have ever seen from a 5mm LED. Its color absolutely puts the 26K mcd LED's to shame.

Below is an image of the runtime graph. The blocks you see are where the meter measurement was fluctuating between two readings. Light output is so low that even the slightest change registers a large jump on the graph.

generic%20AAA.png

Overall I am very impressed with this light and it has found a new and very welcome home on my keychain. I find myself using it all the time as it is bright enough for most tasks. Fit and finish are quite nice for a small inexpensive Chinese made light, and light output and color is fantastic.

I like this light so much that I may do a group buy for them if people are interested.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Please re-size your plots to a width of 800 pixels or less.

Your stuff is running off the screen rrequiring the screen to be scrolled to be read.

Thanks

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Not everyone has a 42" flat screen monitor and a hight speed broadband connection to the internet! Have some consideration for those of us with 15" flatscreen monitors and slow conections!

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Eh, it was only a 2kb reduction in file size, but you shouldnt have to scroll now.

BTW mines only 21" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
chevrofreak said:
I purchased this inexpensive AAA light claiming to be made of steel, and I do believe it is.

I like this light so much that I may do a group buy for them if people are interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm definitely in on a group buy!

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dorcy%20Metal%20Gear%20w%20Rayovac%20Maximum%20Plus.png

Dorcy Metal Gear with three Rayovac Maximum Plus batteries. My sensor slipped during the test with the supplied Energizers so I had to start over.

I purchased this light (black) just for the runtime test so if anyone wants to buy it from me it's available. Judging by brightness and color I'm guessing it has a RWAH star in it, but have not taken it out to see if thats what it is.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak said:
Judging by brightness and color I'm guessing it has a RWAH star in it, but have not taken it out to see if thats what it is.

Thats pretty funny, I just took the star out and thats the exact bin it has in it. :laughing:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be interested to learn more about your AAA light, Chevro. Price, where did you get it, etc. How does it run on nimh or lith AAA?