Lithium 9v = Super AAAA's?

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithium 9v = Super AAAA\'s?

Has anyone tried taking apart a lithium 9v to get AAAA's? Just trying to save myself the 10 dollars if it turns out to be flat cells rather than round cells. Thanks.

Mark

Jonathan

Enlightened
Re: Lithium 9v = Super AAAA\'s?

Some 9V alkaline batteries are made with 6 cells that are roughly AAAA sized, arranged in a bundle. Others use rectangular cells that are stacked. Since the nominal voltage of an alkaline cell is 1.5V, the 6 in series give the 9V for the battery.

Most lithium cells have a nominal voltage of 3 to 3.6V (depending upon the precise chemistry), and I would expect lithium 9V batteries to be made of _three_ of these cells. So I wouldn't expect any of these sort of lithium batteries to be made with AAAA cells; 3 of them aren't the right size.

There are 1.5V AA lithium cells (they use a different chemistry), so in theory there could be AAAA 1.5V lithium cells. If this is the case, then it is possible that someone is building 9V batteries from these cells. IMHO unlikely, but possible.

-Jon

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is another thread around here somewhere, sorry not going to be online long enough to search for it myself at the moment, but they talk about getting AAAA cells out of regular, non-lithium, 9v as well as some discussion of what brands have what internal configuration.

I can tell you that the older plastic case Energizer NiMH 9v are the stacked square cells and so are the more recent metal cased Radio Shack 9c NiMH cells. Except you can't separate the Radio Shack one, they are all inside the same plastic enclosure. I don't know any more about the lithium ones.

-James

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

various people have assured me that inside some nine volts, there are indeed 6 (almost) aaaa sized cells. however, with my good luck, i bought a double pack to find stacked rectangles...

CNC Dan

Enlightened

Originally posted by James S:
There is another thread around here somewhere, sorry not going to be online long enough to search for it myself at the moment
-James
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">found it:
AAAA from 9 volt

D

**DONOTDELETE**

smile.gif
yup Emppy, I did, and tobay I am a prefectly norbal perfon. Those wer ta goob ol days..
icon15.gif

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have taken apart both alkaline and lithium 9V batteries. The alkalines use a set of 6 AAAA batteries in series to achieve the 9V. The lithium uses a stack of 3 slabs of gel and metal. I'm guessing that this is easier for the lithium 9V as the chemistry for producing 3V from lithium-based material is more common and therefore cheaper.

Somewhere in the archives, there may still exist a thread that I wrote regarding this. Had pictures on it, but I don't think the website support the pictures still has them. Sorry, I don't have the pictures on my computer anymore.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

On a side note, I just took apart an E2 Titanium 9v battery (energizer) and the cells are noticeably shorter than the cells out of a Duracell (which work with no modification). Had to use a little spring with electrical tape around it to get my Stylus to turn on.

Mark

billw

Enlightened

Just a quick note on alkaline AAAAs from 9Vs. I've now had two of these (from duracells) "explode" while being discharged at moderate rates. They
blow off the top with connected central electrode.
It looks like internal pressures build up a bit,
and these cells lack an external metal case like
you'd see on a retail cell, thus having only a
rather weak crimp and some heatshrink to hold them
together (when they're inside the 9V, the 9V case
holds them together.) They make an impressive
bang, and the top flies some distance - I
wouldn't want any sensitive body parts to be in the way...

BillW

billw

Enlightened

As another aside, I've never seen AAAA rechargables inside a "9V" NiCd battery. They all seem to have flat oval cells (6 or 7 stacked vertically), short stubby cells (6, in two stacks of three), or monolithic plastic assemblies...

BillW