I need an opinion

Kilted

Enlightened
I have found two lights that look good.

This light from Cabelas, Li-Ion 3-watter, compact, rechargable, Li-Ion looks like an 18650 similar arrangement as the Inova T4. Charger etc. included. Does anyone here have any experence with this light?

Cabela's XPG Rechargable LED 3-watt flashlight.

Next one is from Admondo Tech. It's a 3x3-watt luxeon. Runs on 3 D-cell's I assume direct drive. Which means in the boon docks one could always use alkalines. This light is much BIGGER and brighter than the Cabela's. I'm considering ordering NiMH D-cells and a recharger to go with it. Just looks a little more versatile having two power sources. Does any have experience with this flashlight?

This is for my brother who is a hunting/camping nut. He like my 3x3watt maglite conversion. He's not a flashaholic so having him using CR123's is a complication. The Cabela's all-in-one has it's merits. But the Amondo Tech is so much brighter! Which I think he will like.

Triple 3 Watt LED Flashlight ( 3X 3 Watt Luxeon LED 240 lumens)

Thank you for any opinions here.

=D~~ Kilted

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd take the Nuwai.. but not for that price. I'd get him an Inova T4 if I were you.

-David

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually for hunting and camping you should get him a headlamp (if he doesn't have a good one already).

Kilted

Enlightened
Hi, thank you.

The reason for Cabela's as that is my brothers favorite internet store. He should be able to return the flashlight if he did not like it.

Well I did some more searching and found out the Nuwai 3x3 3xD-cell is a poor performer out of the box. Since I have two 3x3's an Icarus conversion and a Barbolight and they are barn burners. My brother saw the Icarus conversion and said he like it. It blew away his 3-Dcell maglight.

I was thinking the 3x3 Nuwai would be the same kind of barn burner. I see from this thread that it is not. BUT there is an easy fix by putting in the Nikola Tesla 4xC-cell NiMH conversion. This will also preserve the original config for fall back as a long duration light if needed.

=D~~ Kilted

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kilted,
I have the 3x3 watt with the Nikola Tesla Mod in it. It is real nice and puts out around 4,800 lux at one meter on high. You can see objects over a hundred yards away.
It does not have a momentary on but the adjustable levels are nice for extending battery life. Without the mod it is not much better then the 3x1 watt Nuwai.
Wayne at Amondotech still has the 3x3 watt + 3x1 watt+ 1 mod kit special on his web site. The special is nice because you get both lights and one mod kit for $6 more then the 3x3 watt light by itself. I got the special, made another mode kit and gave the 3x1 watt to my wife. She says it is plenty bright for her purposes. It will also light up objects 100 yards away, they just won't be as bright.

Amondo Tech Special

What about Modamag or Elektrolumens mods. If you are not in a real hurry
the Elektrolumens Tri-Star Phazer should be coming back.

If he wants maximum throw and you want to spend minimum price get him the Sears Craftsman 4 D waterproof spotlight. I know it is not an LED. It has a very unique look as the the 4 D batteries are laid out side by side in two pairs under the handle (Think mini Maxabeam). This light is waterproof small and has over 17,000 lux at one meter for $12. It will light up a house at the end of my long block between 3 and 4 hundred yards away well enough to see if someone is standing in front of it.

I still prefer my Phazer since most of my flashlight use is within 300 feet and the larger hotspot of the Fraen Tri-optic will light up a much larger area for all of those 300 feet.

Take Care,
mtbkndad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a nice price for the 3x3 watt, but the two + one mod kit for $125 is still a better deal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Kilted

Enlightened
Thank you for your inputs. There are more options here than I thought. I'm not in a hurry for this I think I will wait to see what ElektroLumens Tri-Star Phazers new run will be like. I'll make my mind up then.

In the mean time I'm trying to find out if his current maglight is a 2 or 3 D-cell, and drop him a Diamond 3w replacement LED.

=D~~ Kilted