good hiking/camping/reading led headlamp

whorush

Newly Enlightened
howdy, this is my first post.

i've read some similar posts, but the requirements are all subtly different then mine.

uses: backcountry hiking and camping, reading

i'm attracted to a lamp that is higly efficient in terms of light/wattage and has good battery life.

i used to have the tikka + and i liked it a lot. think i should get another? think i could do better? think that i could use something more powerful for hiking? think i need something more rugged for hiking?

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I'd highly recommend the Princeton Tec Aurora. It's three 5mm LED's are extremely energy efficient and provides a great light for around-camp use. Uses common AAA batteries. Great for reading. Costs only $20 at globalmart.com

If you're looking for something more powerful for the trails, I'd go with either the Princeton Tec EOS or the Petzl Tikka XP. Both have nice 1W Luxeon LED bulbs.

Mattman

Enlightened
If you like your Tikka+, I would think that you would be happy with another one or any other headlamp with front mounted batteries and 5mm LEDs. The EOS is a great value and would be better for hiking with it's substantial increase in throw, but it may have too much of a spot to use for close work like reading - I know I'd use my BD Moonlight instead if it didn't have the batteries on the back.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
whorush: one thing to keep in mind is weight. The PT Corona is an excellent headlamp, but weighs in at 9oz. The Petzl Tikka XP weighs 3.4oz, and like mentioned above, you can lay your head back with the front mounted battery headlamps. Might be a bit lumpy on the PT Corona /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif