Splitting 223s (Batteries and instructions included)

Saaby

Flashaholic
The question has oft come up: "How do I split a 223? Is it hard?" So I will now present to you how I split 223s. Others do it other ways, and you may do it your own way too...but this should get you started.

Todays victom? A Duracell DL223.

1.gif

I like to go for the "cap" if you will, where the plastic shell for the 2 CR123s is capped. ON the DL223s it is at the end of the words...you'll see in the photo. If you look *real* hard you might even be able to see the seam.

2.gif

I have a miniature hack-saw <Imagine Photo here> that I use to cut into the battery just a bit...

3.gif

Once I've cut in a bit I take a screwdriver or other flat, blunt object (A putty knife would probably also work well) and pry the cap off. At this point you'll see the ends of the 2 223s, attached by a narrow metal band. Push the batteries out of the plastic container...I like to do it by pushing on the tops of the batteries through the holes in the top of the plastic case.

At this point the 2 CR123s will pop out. Be careful!!!! If they touch they will spark...notice how I've changed backgrounds on this next pic, it's because all the other photographs were taken on the side of a computer case...metal conducts electricity..

4.gif

Pull the 2 batteries in opposite directions. The metal band will pull of one battery and stick to the other. Usually it will pull off the positive tip of battery "A" and stay on the neg end of battery "B." Just use some pliers to carefully pull it off the other battery. It sholdn't be too tough...

Then wrap the battery. I use masking tape because it is plentiful around my house. I put 2 strips on, one curls around the top edge of the battery and goes about half way down the batt. THe second strip meats up with that one and finishes off the job, wrapping slightly around the bottom of the battery.

5.gif

So there you have my way of splitting CR223s. I am sure there are more efficient methoods, but this should get you started.

Good luck!

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My local interstate battery. You know the car battery people (and a whole lot more!) have the white "sausage skin" one inch diameter heat shrink tubing that is perfect for shrink wrapping these batteries. Use about 1.5 inches length because it does shorten some and it will cover adequately on the top and bottom of the battery. Works great!!!!!!

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Onyx:
Complete n00b alert:

Could you please provide more info about the "Be careful, if they touch they will spark" bit?
That bit scares me somewhat. Also, a 6V spark isn't likely to be harmful long-term is it (to humans)?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No,
smile.gif
-the hazard here is only about possible burns from heat generated by a short circuit, not about any shock hazard. Just like a car battery not being able to give you a shock.

one time survivor of B+ terminal jolt>4300V DC
shocked.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
You haven't really lived until you get bit by 10,000 volts!!! Of course we're talking a few milliamps, not enough to hurt ya terrible.

As to wrapping the 123s, I use good quality electritions tape. That is one thing I will NOT go cheap on.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Onyx:
Complete n00b alert:

Could you please provide more info about the "Be careful, if they touch they will spark" bit?

<Bandwidth Saving SNIP
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">When they are split and bare metal, if one battery touches the other you get a little spark. Not too terribly dangerous I suppose but you ARE short circuting the batteries, (when it sparks) so if you don't get them apart almost immediatly they'll get hot and quickly discharge themselves.

Because I'm paranoid I wrap a little extra tape over both ends.

I am going to do something completely egotistical and make this sticky so that it'll be easy to find. Some time soon
wink.gif
when the flashlights link page is up and running I'll un-stickify it and requiest
winkie.GIF
that it be placed on the flashlight links page.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Complete n00b alert:

That bit scares me somewhat. Also, a 6V spark isn't likely to be harmful long-term is it (to humans)?

Luminocity

Newly Enlightened
Bushman,

I have been wanting to try out the 1 inch "sausage skin" heatshrink tubing from Interstate Batteries. The only locations I have ever seen are at small auto repair shops.

A little investigation on Interstate's webpage turned up the fact that there are 3 different kinds of Interstate Battery locations. Interstate Battery Location Types

Do you know which type you found the tubing at? My guess is that I will have to get it from one of the "Interstate All Battery Centers". I will also PM ya with this question in case you don't see this post.

I really want to try out this type of tubing because the heat shrink tubing we have been using is too thick and the batteries would get stuck if we pushed them into the light (ran into this issue with a Brinkman Ledgend LX).

Man, you are right about the "whole lot more" bit. These people carry tons of stuff besides car batteries! After having seen and bought their car batteries for many years, I find this kinda funny.
yellowlaugh.gif

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the one that I went to was an Intertstate dealer. It was not just a stand at a garage. How I found out about it is that they rebuild battieries for tool packs. Dewalt, Makita, etc. So I told them about my application and they pulled out some of the stuff. It is also readily available on Ebay. I will see if I can find a link to some of the "sausage skin" shrink wrap. It looks flat, but it is actuaally tubular but folded upon itself to make a roll.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1781827669

Here it is but this stuff here is TOO BIG You need 1" at the largest. This is 2, 3, and 4 in diameter. See what I am talking about when i say it looks flat? It is not. I would email them and see if they have some 1" that they could sell you. But Interstate sold me mine for cheaper than this.

robstarr-lite

Newly Enlightened
nice job- but had to ask...is this a cheaper method of obtaining 123A's...are the cells in the pac cheaper than purchasing 2 single cells- made by duracell?

star882

Enlightened
"Also, a 6V spark isn't likely to be harmful long-term is it (to humans)?"
You can't be shocked with 6v, but shorting the cell can cause it to leak or catch fire.

robstarr-lite

Newly Enlightened
AND....as much as this looks attractive...i'll pass the group buy as i 'm lucky i have local suppliers in the bay area that have the 123 for around $1 US on & off...and i don't use them as much thanks to a tip on using 1/5 MiHn rechargables....plus i just ordered 10 from botach...along with a KL1...a KL3... and a G2 too!--aaaggg -i have got to stop logging onto this site for a day or two--my wife is going to kill me :) after i placed my on line order and hit send--i did not get an order number-is this normal for botach's ( via yahoo ) ordering system?