Possible to have a 8xAA modified 3D...

pcmike

Enlightened
Would it be possible to take a 3D and cut it down to fit 2x4AA adapters and be able to run 9.6V-11V G4 bulbs or am I just dreaming? Wouldn't this give you ~12V @ 5000mAH? Seems like alot of capacity per voltage or am I missing something here. Someone please set me straight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MSI

Enlightened
Why cut down a 3D when you can buy a 2D /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Be aware that many AA cells are to fat to fit 4 across in a Mag body.
From your voltage expectation I see you plan to use Alkaline cells, that is not a good idea, just look at Silverfox's battery shoot outs and you will understand why. Use NiMH cells. And where do you get 5000mAh from?

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
5000mAH? that's 5 amps, and if you want to run a 9.6 volt at 5 amps you need 9-10 cells, keep in mind that the Mag switch will creat a lot of resistence. You are beter off buying a 9AA-3D adaptor from Fivemega and run it in a 3D. The initial voltage sag from 8 cells would drag it down to real low level, and akalines will choke to death at that level.

If you meant 500 mAh, then it is feasable, but the G4 bulbs aren't that efficient(if I'm thinking of the same G4 bulbs you are thinking of)...