converting 9.6V to 7.2V battery

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I have several 9.6V NiCd Makita batteries that I would like to convert to 7.2V. Can I simply remove 2 cells from the battery pack and still recharge them in a Makita charger without any problems? do I need to change the little device that shunts across the +/- terminals? (I presume its some sort of thermostatic device that tells the charger when to shut off).

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
NO NO NO!!! Don't even think about it! You can't just remove 2 cells and charge it. If I am not wrong, your battery pack is a long slim type with sub C cells inside. You cannot just remove 2 cells and charge it. The remaining batteries inside won't like the sudden increase in power and may just heat up and explode (I have seen a exploding AA and I don't wanna see a sub C explode. No way.......

The charger happens to run on a Timer base 1 hour charge if I am not wrong (but most of the time I AM wrong).

LoneRebel

Enlightened
I'm no expert here but I happened upon some 7.2V Nicad battery packs and needed a way to charge 'em. I actually gave it a 9v connector and hooked it up to my rayovac 1 hour charger. Since most of the 9v rechargables only go up to 8.4v rather than a full 9 I figured it would be close enough. I took it out when it showed 8.5v. The pack didnt appear hot.

carbonsparky

Enlightened
check out you charger. Most Makita chargers are designed to charge a range of battery voltages. My newest one will charge from 7.2 to 14.4 volt Nicad or NiMh. My older one is just 9.6 to 12 volt NiCad only. If you charger is good down to 7.2 volts just remove the two cells farthest away from the plug end. If you are looking elsewhere for a charger you might check out some of the RC car chargers at Radio Shack or you local hobby shop.

star882

Enlightened
You can take out 2 cells and use the pack but the original charger will not work on your modified pack.
Just save the extra cells for some other project.