125mw Leadlight???

marshall

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to ask this is if has been covered a million times, but is it easily possible to get my 58mw leadlight to 125mw?
I see that Wicked Lasers is offering them at that output, when I used to visit this forum it seemed 125mw from a leadlight was near impossible. Is there anyone who will modify a current leadlight to these levels? Someone I can send mine in to? Thanks guys.

Changots

Newly Enlightened
supposedly wicked is using 500mW diodes instead of 300mW correct? also, not just any old leadlight would be able to reach such high output. you would need some crazy crystal efficiency, and i imagine some sort of heat sink.

xenophobe

Newly Enlightened
All of the >50mW Wicked Lasers are not a Leadlights. They're made by CNI.

Wicked did sell modified Leadlights at one point, up to about 55mW I think, but I'm not sure if they still do or not.

A 58mW is about the most you could ever wish for out of a leadlight. My advice would be to leave it alone. At that power, they're relatively rare (super efficient crystal alignment), and I'd be careful of dropping it while warm. It doesn't take much to throw a leadlight out of alignment.

marshall

Newly Enlightened
Well then, maybe I should set my sights on a new CNI. I just want to end up with a >120mw output from a near leadlight size body, without paying $700. Any ideas how this might be possible?

deezdrama05

Enlightened
Ive already contacted leadlight and CNI about bulk orders and neither one where willing to give me even a decent price unless i ordered way over 100 units each so as far as a single pointer you are pretty much limited to wicked lasers or a cni pgl. I do have a question for you guys. Ive been ordering alot of leadlight 105 pointers for a small side business im doing involving a mount for these lasers. My question is... Sofar im just checking each laser by doing a pot mod then turning them back down. Im hoping to run across a super efficient laser that i can keep for myself, sofar the highest ive found with just a pot mod is 19mw. Will a super efficient crystal laser pointer give higher output with just a potmod(like say 40mw maybee) Or would I also have to align the diode and turn up the pot before realizing if the crystal set is good or not? I hope I have not let any good pointers slip by,what do you all think?

marshall

Newly Enlightened
From my knowledge, you will also want to re-align crystals. Being mass produced, I don't believe anything's really dialed in that great out of the box. As far as other mods, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a resistor also swapped on the drive board?

deezdrama05

Enlightened
I know- but im not going to align,potmod,and swap resistors in every single unit that comes across me-that would take weeks, I just need to know if an efficient set of crystals will give over 20mw of output with just a potmod. If so then I will know I have a good pointer and then can align it,pot it, and swap resistors.

deezdrama05

Enlightened
I just ordered 6 more leadlight 105's I guess i will just keep the highest output unit of the bunch then fully mod it and see what it gives me.

Bond007

Newly Enlightened
Interesting isn't it how wicked have suddenly started advertising the 125mw+ model.. it must be more than 4 months ago now that they were selling units with the 500mw diode.

Didn't wicked sell to someone recently a one off unit which emitted 400mw? I just wonder how far wicked can go with releasing progressively more powerful units. How long will it be before we see 150mw+ units etc on general sale?

xenophobe

Newly Enlightened
If you're looking for efficient crystals, you'll do much better just by contacting casix with your specifications and ordering from them:

http://www.casix.com/

But, it's not just the crystals, they only play a part of what a laser pointer will really output to.

Not all LEDs are made as efficient as another.

To make a true beast, you'll need to individually test each LED and EACH MCA to find the most efficiency...

marshall

Newly Enlightened
I asked Steve at wicked, yep, a 450mw pointer was made! I want the next one made. I will pay. Who has the ability to build me one? Any takers?

marshall

Newly Enlightened
Ok anyways, how can 450mw be produced from a pen pointer? It can't just be some magic science only he has down. Why aren't others speaking about what is involved? I'm really confused as to how he cools the diode. Can ANYONE in here elaborate on how such a "super" pointer might be made with the same general output as what Wicked is doing? I just want to go about it someway without spending $3000.

bootleg2go

Enlightened
If a 450mw penlight laser exists, which I doubt since 450mw of output power would require at least 3 watts of power consumption meaning at 3V, these penlight AA batteries would need to supply over 1 amp of current, not to mention being able to disipate that much heat. I think if such a laser does indeed exist then WL should submit it to a trusted source like LED museum to confirm this.

Jack

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Dito to the words of doubt on the AAA alkakine primary batteries. This is a typical problem for LED lights powered by those and I do not see two of them putting out >450mW ... because you'd have to take into consideration the efficiency of the diode and the thus necessary current to achieve 450mW output.
bk