AM-Ti1 handmade Titanium CR123 flashlight -part II

ArsMachina

Enlightened
Hi,

this is a continuation of this thread:

Part I of this thread

I am going to produce a handmade Titanium CR123 light in the shape of a CR2 light. The diameter will be 21mm and the length will be 57mm. For the moment it will be two stage DD bit in the future also a multilevel or continous dimmable regulated version is planned.
The reflector is a downturned McR-20 and the lens is out of scratchproof sapphire glass. For sure there are also two o-rings to make the light waterproof as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The light will come with a wooden case which can also be used as a display stand.
There will be no serial numbers on the light and also not on the cases. I tried to get the lights in the old style by an rotating engraving tool, but the tool collapsed because of the hard Titanium...
I think any modern numbering like laser or chemical engraving would not fit the handmade taste of my light, so I will keep away.

And here the final and for sure most interesting point, the price of the light is $333 including PayPal fees and international registered shipping.

Here again some pics of the light, if you like to see many pics of the machining process, please go to part I of this thread.

arsmachina2.jpg

left to right: BlackBird, KI, AM-Ti1, KI-LE, JIL 1.3 (Up)

arsmachina1.jpg

arsmachina4.jpg

am1-case2.jpg

Because of my limited time I will not be able to produce more than one light per week, so the available quantity will stay very limited.
For some well known reasons I do not want to take any prepayments and first I also did not want to start a waiting list. But Dr_Joe might be right, that offering one light after another at B/S/T also is not a good way, because the lights will be grabbed away very quick.
So I finally decided to make an internal list and will offer every person on it a light as soon as I finish one.
So I ask everyone who is interested in such a light to get in touch with me by sending me a PM with his email adress - I will use the FIFO principle here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks a lot! Jochen

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
Re: AM-Ti1 handmade Titanium CR123 flashlight -par

PM sent for ti waiting list

first in line

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*

No, thank you Jochen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
First or not in line is not important, the most important is to be in the list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
And now....a cool waiting time start /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nethiker

Enlightened

PM sent.

Heart says... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif...wallet says... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/awman.gif...Looking for a place in line for sometime in October.

Greg

Doc

Enlightened

PM sent! Thanks, Doc.

marcspar

Enlightened

PM sent (at 2:25 pm!) Beautiful little light, Jochen.

Marc

Kiessling

Flashaholic

This list of yours is for the unregulated version only ?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Cool light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
bernie

ArsMachina

Enlightened

Hi Bernie,

yes, at the moment I can only produce the unregulated one, and you are already on the list.
But you can also wait for the somewhat bigger regulated one, even I have no idea yet when I can start with it, as I still do not have even a prototype PCB for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jochen

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Jochen ... thanx! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'd like to wait for the regulated one .... and keeping fingers crossed that it will happen ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bernie

Barefootone

Enlightened

Bernie,
I've been contemplating my position for ordering. As you expressed your desire for a regulated version I to have the same inclination. Can you tell me your main reason for wanting a regulated version vs. the unregulated version? I'm not 100% sure as to the full advantage or disadvantage of the two. I'd like to know your thoughts on this.
Keep-em bright in the night,
Jeff [ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:

I'd like to wait for the regulated one .... and keeping fingers crossed that it will happen ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bernie

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="blue"> </font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Barefootone said:
Bernie,
I've been contemplating my position for ordering. As you expressed your desire for a regulated version I to have the same inclination. Can you tell me your main reason for wanting a regulated version vs. the unregulated version? I'm not 100% sure as to the full advantage or disadvantage of the two. I'd like to know your thoughts on this.
Keep-em bright in the night,
Jeff [ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:

bernie

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="blue"> </font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, I think regulated means a constant brightness/light output for the capacity of the battery with a sudden drop near the end vs. a diminishing brightness/light output from very bright to gradually dimmer towards the end for unregulated.

KingSmono

Enlightened

Generally speaking, the regulated version will have a very FLAT discharge curve over the life of the battery. Now, whether it's brighter, or dimmer, depends on the set current level. If it's set very high, you'll have a bright light, with relatively short battery life. If it's set low, it won't be as bright, but battery life can be greatly extended. The main benefit of *regulation* is that every time you turn it on, it will be the same brightness. (in a perfect world, with 100% efficiency, etc) So, even as the battery is on it's last legs, the light will be as bright as when a new battery is inserted! A major drawback is that sometimes when the battery is no longer strong enough to support the set-drive level, it will go from bright, to very dim instantly, without warning... which can be very unpleasant/inconvenient depending on what you're doing.

In a direct drive light, the discharge curve is more sloped. The battery starts out very bright, with a fresh battery, but as the battery dies, the light gets dimmer. The advantage to this is that you suck every last ounce of juice out of a battery, AND it typically has a much longer runtime. The drawback is that if your battery is pretty drained, the light might not be very bright... But in an emergency, you might only need a few lumens to get where you're going, and you'll be glad you opted for the loooooooong runtime vs the regulated output.

For more info, search for TIN's graphs of the Jil DD (direct drive) vs the Jil 1.3 (regulated). The Jil DD had a runtime of something rediculous like 20 hours. (don't remember the exact specs) The 1.3 regulated version only went for like an hour and a half, but was much brighter! I guess it depends on what's more important to you.

-Allen

PS I'm sure the more experienced/knowledgable pros will chime in any moment though, and can probably explain the differences more accurately.

Barefootone

Enlightened

Hey Flashlight & KingSmono,
Thank you for your critiques of direct drive vs. regulated. Awhile back I did read about it, but when you get old like me you tend to forget the recent very quickly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif.
I'm still in the decision making mode as to ordering /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif.
Keep-em bright in the night <font color="blue"> </font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif,
Jeff

ArsMachina

Enlightened

Hi Jeff,

fortunately (or unfortunately ?) you will have enough time to think about. In the meantime I got around 50 orders what is much more than I expected. I am still having problems in making the lights, especially with threading the Titanium and even when all will be running well I will not be able to produce more than a light per week.
I would like to offer a regulated version with variable brightness where the brightness is adjusted by just turning the light. I am not yet sure if this will be possible but if yes, it will need some time until it will be working fine.
And finally keep in mind that the regulated version will be at least 4mm longer!

Jochen

Barefootone

Enlightened

Hey Jochen,
Well I guess I do have alot of time to decide, but if I keep waiting I might be the 100Th down the list instead of 50Th /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif <font color="red"> </font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif. With you only being able to produce a light a week it will be a long time coming for most of us. I'm sorry to hear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif you are having problems threading the Ti, but it is tough material. Maybe by doing more of them you will find a way to facilitate more efficient threading practices. I wish I had a suggestion for you, but I was a Welder when I was working not a Machinist.
Keep-em bright in the night/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif,
Jeff