Flashlight suggestion

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,
Hows it going?
Is there a good light that is out there that when it's on, people go "holy poop that's bright!".
But i prefer something that doesn't take the CR123 batteries since the batteries for the most part arent' readily available. The 2x AA LED light dont really seem that bright. I was thinking something along the lines of maybe a C celled battery light. Although i'm open to the idea of maybe a 6x AA light. I already have the elektrolumens TSP on the list and i already own an elektrolumens Pentalux.

I would also like a light with a good mix of throw and light output with a somewhat decent runtime.

It's hard to tell by looking at some of the pictures of the lights online. You look at the tiny lights and you are thinking how in the heck can those be that bright.

thanks

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends what you call bright. How many lumens do you think bright is? How big can it be? Would a Thor suit?

Most (uninitiated) people need in excess of 500 lumens to say wow.

I would reccomend a mag85 or magHID.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where are you located? Battery Station usually can ship batteries internationally. At a $1 a cell, it makes running CR123 lights fairly inexpensive.

Well some questions from me, what size are you looking for? Whats your budget like? Where are you located? Are you only going to use the light to make people go holy sh*t thats bright? Will you use it often enough to warrant rechargables? Do you want a rechargable platform?

Here is a plug for the Surefire M6 with HOLA (high output lamp), the LOLA (low output) lamp will be more economical to run with a 60 minute vs 20 minute runtime, but once I went HOLA there is no going back to LOLA unless I blow my HOLA lamp.

The size of the Surefire M6 is smaller than most cheap store bought 2D flashlights, but a heck of a lot brighter.

Left picture is my sideyard without the M6, the right is with the M6.
174467021_l.jpg

greenLED

Flashaholic
As I said on the thread where you asked about the Pelican M6, a lot of these smaller, lithium-based lights we tend to favor 'round here are very bright for their size, and will impress your neighbors.

The SF M6 is about the size of a 2D Maglite, IIRC. The output of a 2D Mag is nowhere close to the M6 (especially with the High Output Lamp Assembly (HOLA).

Personally, I like small and bright lights. The PeliM6, or the Pila GL2 (or GL3) would be nice choices. Of course, it depends on how much you're willing to spend. And while we're on the topic of money, consider visiting the "CPF Specials" thread (link on my sigline). Some vendors have chosen to offer lower prices on good sold to CPF members; I keep a list of those (no strings attached, just thought people would like to save some $$ here and there).

Last edited:

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
now that i've got most of my laser pointers, guess it's time to move on to flashlight collections. i'll check this cpf specials.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL senmecaripple, I believe Surefire makes a weapon lights system that either uses 3 or 6 cells that mounts onto the M16 (well replaces the whole handguard assembly.)

SF E2e, SF M6, and Magellan Roadmate 300
12magellan.jpg

greenLED

Flashaholic
Does that RoadMate have a reflector or an optic? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif just pulling your leg! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Does that one have more throw than the RoadMate? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Last edited:

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's more complicated but its supposed to have more features. i dont rely on it, unless i'm totally lost! it always gives me the longer way!