Id'ing my lights for possible return?

lerch

Newly Enlightened
Id\'ing my lights for possible return?

Hi,
I've been kicking around the idea of engraving my phone number into the side of my SF A2 as a possible aid in the returning of my light incase I ever lost it. Have any of you ever done this? will it void the warranty? Thanks,
Lerch

pradeep1

Enlightened
Re: Id\'ing my lights for possible return?

Just don't change your phone number right? I'd put something more permanent, like an email address, and a phone number. Maybe tape a sticker inside of body that has your full contact info. Don't think it will void the warranty, but not sure.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

"Locks are for honest people".

You could get away with any info you wish on a post a note around the batteries (if an honest person finds it).

If a dishonest person finds it - nothing would help, though engraved info may "sway" them?

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast

I do the post-it-note in the battery compartment, not counting on much, but it is worth a try..

greenLED

Flashaholic

My bike was stolen last week. Fortunately, I had registered with the local PD. Last Monday at 1:45 am /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif I got a call from PD Dispatch asking me to come over to ID the suspect and pick up my bike!

So, registering your property works. The Officer I was talking to suggested I should engrave my Driver's License (less likely to change like a phone number) number on all my property and keep a list with my property's serial numbers in a secure place. I had never thought about engraving and keeping a list. I'm glad I thought about registering my bike!

Last edited:

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wished I have engraved my Pelican M6 2 years ago, but that loss lead to the purchase of a Surefire E2e, lol. Now I am extra careful where I put my stuff, especially flashlights.

Now I gotta find an engraver to engrave my lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (Uhm, maybe take it to Jacob the Jeweler to inlay my ID # in platinum, lol, yeah right.)

nightshade

Enlightened

I've made a few purchases from internet retailers such as: http://www.gunthergifts.com/vickniv.html who do really nice laser blade engraving that is durable and long lasting.
My uncle had a $1,200.00 DVD camcorder returned via Stuffback after a out of town football game. So far I haven't needed to test the service. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have thought of this as well
What happens if you move or change your phone no?
I now use labels as they can be changed and don't void warranty or decrease the resale value.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

...if you engrave it - it "should" be a "keeper". Who's gonna' want to buy it with your tatoos all over it?

nightshade

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
...if you engrave it - it "should" be a "keeper". Who's gonna' want to buy it with your tatoos all over it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Completely agree. Who will sell off a well thought out Victorinox EDC? Sacrilege, I tell you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast

When I engrave my tools I use a partial of my social security number, it doesn't change.

lerch

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Pydpiper said:
When I engrave my tools I use a partial of my social security number, it doesn't change.

[/ QUOTE ]
The only problem with doing that is if someone finds it how will they contact you? If I engrave my phone number on it they can call me.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good point, my tools are done this way so I can identify them after theft, I don't often lose them by my own means.
If someone honest enough finds them then the paper around the battery trick should work, unfortunatly I don't have that faith in most of the population. All you guys and gals are obviously excluded from that statement.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

I do the post it note around the batteries or I use a sharpie marker (Sharpie comes right off with fingernail polish remover if you want to change the info). I love the new "silver" Sharpies that are out and can write on dark items.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Heck if any of us found exotic lights we'd post the light serial # on CPF and ask "whose is this?!"

Actually, on some other photography forums I've seen them maintain a sticky with a list of lost/stolen equipment serial numbers so that if anybody else comes across the hardware either in the field or from some guy trying to fence them, they can be positively identified. Might not work so well with lights, but then again.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not a fan of engraving but I usually add a small something "down the tube" that has my contact info on it like zespectre does. I figure that even if they get some use out of the light they will find it when they go to change out the cells.

And, even if they think about keeping it they may be inclined to return it when they find out what a replacement set of cells costs at a place like Wally World. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Mike

Grummond

Newly Enlightened

That's a good idea with the post it note around the batteries, I know there are a lot of people out there who would read the note laugh throw it on the floor and pocket the light, but there are people who would also get pleasure in calling you up to give you the good news (and then ask for a ransom) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
No but seriously it seems like a good idea and if you do loose your light at least there is a chance, if there's no post it note around the batteries then there is little or no chance unless you cruse round the police stations asking if any kind citizens have handed in a light.

Grummond

Newly Enlightened

Oh another thing I have wondered is in the case of a dispute over ownership, for example if you suspect someone of having stolen a light (or anything for that matter) is putting a small inconspicuous mark somewhere in the light such as a red dot.
This way if you did report it to the police and they ask you to identify the light you can explain about the small and totally meaningless dot inside the tail cap, battery compartment, back of reflector whatever.

When they saw that you done a similar thing with other lights still in your possession it might give credence to you claim of ownership.
(This is of course at the expense of that fact that they would also probably think that you were two tokens short of a toster!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif
Personally I am not too keen on engraving my I.D on stuff as often time with stuff that I REALLY like now and just KNOW I will never give away end up being given away as gifts a couple of years later to family members and friends to make way for the next generation of shiny things that light up when you stick batteries in one end.

(Unless of course a particular light and I share some adventure/incident together and it proves itself beyond the call of duty, then it gets promoted to the status of "keeper no matter what" as it's attained sentimental value and has it's own story to tell.)

Not sure if this would help and I don't think it's my idea I am, pretty sure I read that one of the other members did this.

Simon

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is an awesome tip!!! THANK YOU! I have printed the following message and put inside my lights.

"If you find this light, please call (Name goes here) at xxx-xxx-xxxx. I will give you a cash reward $$$, NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!! My email.com

The batteries cost $ 6.00 each at Wal-Mart, not worth it, please call me and cash in on the reward."

In both english and spanish, hopefully if I loose them a good samaritan would do the right thing.

I once lost my beloved E1e-PRT at a local Barnes and Noble, I raced back all the way from my home to pick it up, It was still there thank God!

AlexGT