How many different kinds o flashlights do u need?

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
I was thinking about my own situation...

Inova x5 with red leds for night vision.

Surefire 6p w/ p61 for "social" encounters / EDC.

EL Phazer for general flashlight use. Nothing beats its combo of runtime and brightness.

Thor 10x... as a spot light.

What would you all say is a good "minimum"?. I am not talking about collecting, I am talking about actual use. I am trying to think of "reasons" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif to buy more. All the above suite their "niches" very well.... what else am I missing?

SS

RIP

Newly Enlightened
Re: How many differet kinds o flashlights do you n

100 or less yards (SL Propolymer Luxeon)

15 or less yards (UK eLED 4AA)

5 yards or less (MiniMag with MJLED)

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, it's nice to have a light with multiple levels of light. Think a2 or u2 or hds edc. Eg. walking the dog at night - have a low level of night with a long runtime and the simultaneous ability to check out 'the noise over there'.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast

An edc (mclux3), a regular one (modified El Blaster) and a spotlight (SN).

UVvis

Enlightened

The Night ops Gladius I purchased fills in so many niches very well and has almost replaced all of my other 2 cell lights, save for my every day carry of an E2/E1 series lights, and brighter lights that I use very rarely.

I think you are missing a light or two for your car. Cheap maglites or something like a maxfireLX or Surefire G2 and extra batteries are great, rechargable car based lights are a good option too.

WDR65

Enlightened

I agree with Grox on the two levels of light. Very useful in certain situations. At the moment for my needs I would be fine with a Surefire 9 volt light and my SRTH module and my A2. A combination of throw and runtime with the A2's incandescent option providing mid range flood.
As far as lights that are useful in my truck, I keep a mini-mag with a Nite Ize led module in the door as well as a streamlight Tl-3 for throw. Behind the seat there is usually a Vector 1.5 million cp spotlight or a 3 million. In addition I have a 4D and a 2D mag mounted in clamps beside the seats. So I can provide about any type of light I might need with my truck. Might not have the best beams or the highest tech but it covers all my bases so far. Seems like a lot of lights I know. I should probably add a waterproof dive light or two in the toolbox just to have that option if I ever need to do something underwater (hey you never know right). As far as needs go this might be excessive, but when I'm at home I live in a rural area with no ambient light, so I bring my own and plenty of it. Funny thing though, I didn't start really buying lights until I moved into the city where there is all sorts of light normally, guess the lack of streetlights when I go home has made me want more light.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

An Arc AAA for keychain use, a TnC Key-Lux AA for EDC pocket carry when the Arc isn't enough, an EternaLight for general use, and it's dimmable feature make it even more useful, and a Mag 3D with Lux 3 for a little more punch.
Those I would consider a minimum for me. They are my most used lights right now.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Absolutely need?

I'd be lost without my EDC Lambda pill in a Minim*g. It has almost everything I need in a light.

But then I need several alternate EDCs (the ones that preceeded the Lambda!).

ARC AAA, and Infinity Ultra for formal EDC. Several 2AA and 2x123 LED lights for around the house, some SUPER bright lights because I have 2.5 acres and quality dark.

And the list goes on and on.

Perhaps I'm not the best person to ask about NEED...

lerch

Newly Enlightened
View from a new flashaholic.

I've only been on this forum about a week or so give or take a few days. I now have a SF A2 and a U2. I think I "needed" the A2 and I "wanted" the U2. So from here on out pretty much any light I be is more or less "wanted". I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Lerh

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How many different kinds o flashlights do u ne

1. Keyring lights - one turquoise Photon 2 for signaling friends in a crowd, white Photon 3 with 26K LED for a lender rather than giving my
2. EDC - the one that is in my pocket and on a tether (rotates dependant on mood and application; a) GF EDC and oh that's cute light - KI CR2
3. EDC - waist pack lights; a) 2 Li cell incan E2D variant or other, b) X5 as a spare carrier/flood light, c) FFII w/2 stage as back-up, and d) Belkin Quadra as my stealth business LED/Laser/Pen/Stylus, e) Glo-toob FX as marker when walking at night
4. Lights in/on transportation - No car so bike lights that are removable and can be used as flashlight or markers
5. Lending lights (house) - 2 inexpensive D cell lights next to front door to lend/giveaway as needed.
6. Door marker light - Palight with magnetic belt
7. Breaker box light - Palight with magnetic belt
8. Hotel find the toilet light - Palight in glow mode
9. Around the house - Pelican M8, Streamlight Propoly 3C (both plastic and waterproof)
10. Checking inside food/ovens - Stylus
11. Computer bag - USB rechargeable LED light
12. Work on computers - Stylus, Stylus Reach, Tikka
13. Small work sewing, soldering etc. - Headlamp variable output
14. Something goes "bump" - Pila G4, Surefire M3 (his and hers)
15. Lights go out - LED/fluorescent Lanterns
16. Smaller than a bread box; walking or out by the river light - Small HID Dragon I
17. Bigger than a bread box; reach out and touch someone light- X990
18. Oh wow that's a big light - Thor

This is the abbreviated normal cell light list, most rechargables and specialty custom lights not included. Note that every one of them is absolutely essential!

-LT

Luxman

Enlightened

I like LT's post...

M3 or D3/SRTH for throw
U2 or Gladius for general variable lighting
Red LED SF L1 for astronomy or night vision use
Ultimate 60 for large EDC
Peak or ARC-P AAA small EDC
Peak N for mini EDC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Lightwave for long lasting flood "work" light
Mag 85 when "more" light is not enough! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Outrider

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Lunal_Tic said:
1. Keyring lights - one turquoise Photon 2 for signaling friends in a crowd, white Photon 3 with 26K LED for a lender rather than giving my
2. EDC - the one that is in my pocket and on a tether (rotates dependant on mood and application; a) GF EDC and oh that's cute light - KI CR2
3. EDC - waist pack lights; a) 2 Li cell incan E2D variant or other, b) X5 as a spare carrier/flood light, c) FFII w/2 stage as back-up, and d) Belkin Quadra as my stealth business LED/Laser/Pen/Stylus, e) Glo-toob FX as marker when walking at night
4. Lights in/on transportation - No car so bike lights that are removable and can be used as flashlight or markers
5. Lending lights (house) - 2 inexpensive D cell lights next to front door to lend/giveaway as needed.
6. Door marker light - Palight with magnetic belt
7. Breaker box light - Palight with magnetic belt
8. Hotel find the toilet light - Palight in glow mode
9. Around the house - Pelican M8, Streamlight Propoly 3C (both plastic and waterproof)
10. Checking inside food/ovens - Stylus
11. Computer bag - USB rechargeable LED light
12. Work on computers - Stylus, Stylus Reach, Tikka
13. Small work sewing, soldering etc. - Headlamp variable output
14. Something goes "bump" - Pila G4, Surefire M3 (his and hers)
15. Lights go out - LED/fluorescent Lanterns
16. Smaller than a bread box; walking or out by the river light - Small HID Dragon I
17. Bigger than a bread box; reach out and touch someone light- X990
18. Oh wow that's a big light - Thor

This is the abbreviated normal cell light list, most rechargables and specialty custom lights not included. Note that every one of them is absolutely essential!

-LT

[/ QUOTE ]

Close, but no horse shoe. The correct CPF answer is - at least one of everything. This is the only logical extension of "when the question is this one OR that one, buy both" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened

Outrider, you don't say. Even a newbie like me is following this philosophy of the great masters who has been there, done that before me...... All in a matter of months.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Outrider said:
Close, but no horse shoe. The correct CPF answer is - at least one of everything. This is the only logical extension of "when the question is this one OR that one, buy both" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually that's another list. This one is more specific and considerably shorter. I am a miserable typist so this seemed an acceptable compromise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-LT

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

My user lights boil down to pretty distinct catagories:

Small keychain: Tekna Nighteye
Large keychain: CMG Inf Ultra
Belt light: Scorpion or SF 6R
Everyday light: Magcharger
Outdoors at night: SL-35X
Dirty work: 12V Makita tool light

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got a ridiculous number of lights like everyone else (here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif), but I could probably get by with just an HDS with rechargeable set up and a removable diffuser.

If was really going "survivalist" I'd want that light to be a headlamp (Actionlight III?)

But in my actual day to day suburbian routine, I get by with just an Arc AAA (or more recently a Jil DD) as throw is more of a luxury than a necessity.

aceo07

Enlightened

HDS EDC U60 (EDC)
Inova XO (Hiking)
StreamLight Propolymer Luxeon 3C (Home)
Nuwai Luxeon headlamp (Camping)

rikvee

Enlightened

At least two each of the following:
pocket(keys) - ARC LS