Upgrading Mags to LED (which LED drop in?)

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I want to convert some of my D-cell Mags to LED. I don't think I want to do a major mod, so the drop in LED modules that replace the incan bulbs look very appealing to me. The question I have though, is which one? I would assume you get what you pay for with these things.

The ones I am looking at are Tektite LPR, TerraLUX MaxStar2, LEDCorp Epieon, and EverLED. Are there others out there I should look at?

I have a 2D and a 4D Mag. Right now I am going to upgrade one, probably the 4D, but I may go ahead and do both. The 4D is one of my car lights. I want to keep the amount of throw it currently has with an incan. Can I do that with an LED drop in? I noticed some drop in's are side emitter and some are high dome. What are the advantages/disadvantages to those two designs?

My main goals with the 4D are:
-- Keep my throw or possibly increase it
-- Get rid of the sick yellow tint beam
-- Smooth the beam and get rid of artifacts(I'm thinking about sputtering the reflector for that)
-- And to keep my parts cost around $40

As for upgrading the 2D, it's essentially a for fun light and doesn't really have a specific task. Right now it stays in my BOB for emergencies as a good reliable light source. I think upgrading it to LED would make it even more reliable.

One other point... on both of these lights I want to stick with standard alkalines. I do not want to use rechargables in them. I might be interested in the D to AA adapters though.

C4LED

Enlightened
For the 2D the EverLED may be good considering you keep it in a BOB. This drop in can be used in lights using different battery numbers and types--if that was needed during an emergency.

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
I think specifically for the 2C mag I'd be inclined to get the Diamond 1 watt module which is for the mag 2 or 3 cell.

I have both the EverLED and the Diamond and the Diamond is brighter and has a much better tint, it actually makes the EverLED look kind of cream or greenish by comparison.

If you are looking for throw then defiantly go for the Diamond with a Lambertian diode.

I am not saying the EverLED's are bad. They have excellent electronics I just prefer the Diamond for mags.

If you go into the banners section and scroll down to the bottom you will find their link (QualityItems.com).
I'm sorry I have no experience with Tektite LPR, TerraLUX MaxStar2, LEDCorp Epieon, only EverLED and Diamond.

Good luck.

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
In fairness I should mention that I bought my EverLED about 3 years ago and the tint on them may be better now as is the case with so many lights using Luxeons.
At the time though it was one of the whitest ones they had as I bought a premium and the one they sent me was way too green so I sent it back and they sent me the one I have now and hence the one I am comparing to the Diamond.
It could very well be that the EverLED's produced today are using better diodes than when I bought mine.

greenLED

Flashaholic
everLED, you can use them in multiple cell configurations (1-6 cells IIRC)

Last edited:

fridaythemouse

Newly Enlightened
I have one a Tektite LPR-2 in 1 Mag 2D and 1W Diamond side emitter in another Mag 2D. Both of these have beam artifacts (in center spot as well as side spill).

From my measurements the LPR-2 draws about 350mA @ 2.54V (about 0.9W) while the Diamond 1W was drawing 440mA @ 2.54V (~1.1W). The stock bulb does about 700mA under identical voltage.

In terms of throw, the Diamond 1W will definitely be better then the stock bulb (the lambertian will be better then the side emitter).

For me, these drop ins give better battery life & slightly better output compared to the standard bulb.

I don't have experience with the other products.