Leadlight 40mW to 53mW to 40mW??

Clifto

Newly Enlightened
I bought a stock 24.3 mW leadlight and did the pot mod. From cold it starts out at about 70mW then drops down to 40-42mW after about 5 secs, stays there most of the time. But every once and a while it'll "jump" up to 50-55 mW and stay there for a period of time then it will immediately fall back to 40-42mW. This happens at least once every time I test it. Is there something I could do to keep it at that 50-55mW point?

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
You could try using NiMh rechargable AAA's. They have a much flatter discharge curve as compared to alkalines. They would keep the voltage supplied to the driverboard and IR diode more consistent, and for a longer time.

Otherwise, if you've paid for a 23mW Leadlight, and it's consistently running anywhere from two to three times it's seller-stated wattage, I'd be happy and be very careful to not mess too much with it!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Green or any other color DPSS lasers of pointer size are notorious for having large power fluctuations, especially if they've been modified to increase their output power. This behaviour should be considered perfectly normal.

Clifto

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys ill just leave it be. I am very pleased with a stable 40mW from somthing i paid 87$ for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif