• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

**SOLD** Nichia HighPower 365 nm UV Aleph-19

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
A while ago I bit the bullet and bought 5 ea. (min order) of Nichia's High Power UV LED's. These are SMD mount, 365 nm UV LED's that cost as much or more than a good SF LED flashlight; just the LED! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

However, you do get a 365 nm light source that due to its small die, can be concentrated in a very tight and bright (not to the naked eye though) beam. The bin I got has specs of a radiometric flux of between 130 -154 mW of power. This light is not a toy and should be treated as a dangerous but quite possibly useful tool.

Wayne Y. designed an elegant and famcy super thin, silver plated emiter PCB for these LED's and I used one of these to mate the UV LED to an Aleph light engine that hosts a NexGen 500 converter. There is a 7.5 ohm tail switch which provides a good and useful low output in addition to the high.

I built a twin to this light for a CPF customer and I am offering this one for sale here. Again this is not a toy and too dang expensive to even be considered as such!!

I am asking for $350 for the light. I also have a wiz2-500 that I have been using to "tack" UV curing adhesive on my bench. At some later date, I may offer that one up for sale but beyond that, there are no more of these.

Nichia365UV-A-19-NG.jpg

This light puts out a little visible spectrum light and the spot portion of the beam can be seen on most surfaces if the ambient is not too strong. The lack of visible light output enhances the target's flourescent response. This LED provides a good visible return on dyes and other chemicals which are not visible or barely visible with higher pass band UV lights. The strip in a "C" note, for instance as well as other red UV markers which are not apparent with other UV sources are well illuminated.

This light goes to the first to claim it here but please send me an E-mail with your CPF name as well as real name and mailing address so I can get this in the mail to you. The price includes priority or Global Priority Mail but no insurance and I pass ownership as well as responsibility in all regards over to you when I place the light in the postal system.

Thanks for looking.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: For Sale: Nichia HighPower 365 nm UV Aleph-19

Wow, what a rare and high tech light! I'll be soon making an 8x5mm 360nm led light as that's all I can afford, but wow I wish I could afford it! I didn't even know that the i-series or whatever Nichia calls them were out!

what did you do with the other 2 leds? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Wayne has one and the last is slated for a custom PD if I ever get around to it. That's why I said the wiz2 *might* become available. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Attention, Mods! This should qualify as baiting! What's your freekin' PayPal addy again? Nevermind, I'm looking it up!

I'll take it! (Off to PP) edit: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/paypal.gif

Larry ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif )

McGizmo

Flashaholic
**SOLD**: Nichia HighPower 365 nm UV Aleph-19

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif **SOLD**

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: **SOLD**: Nichia HighPower 365 nm UV Aleph-19

Don,

I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. Apart from the price, is there any difference in specs between the Nichia UV and the Cree UV being sold on the shoppe?

2. What is the rated lifespan of the Cree UV?

3. Sorry for the OT but do you have any plans of selling the Aleph 19 "head only" without the LE on the shoppe? I've been thinking of buying the whole head but as of now have no use for the UV LE.

Thanks.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

No doubt another over-hyped, over-priced, aperature-restricted, POS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Thanks, Don! I have one more desert trip to do this summer, and it will be very interesting to see how scorpions fluoresce at shorter UV wavelengths. My first "scorpion-hunting" light was a Rat Shack multi C-cell fluorescent with an aftermarket UV tube, 20+ years ago. It worked, but the "range" was very short. I've gone through a large number of evolutions since, and that head you gave me seems to be the best yet, though I haven't had the opportunity to try it on the real thing. This will be interesting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Larry

nethiker

Enlightened

Thanks Larry. I've been agonizing over which body part(s) I could sell for this light. Congrats on your purchase. Don, I'll keep my eye out for your last Nichia UV should you offer it up. Hopefully I'll have a bit more cash on hand then.

I hear UV can be used for arson investigation. Does anyone know if the Nichia is strong enough to find excellerants?

Kiessling

Flashaholic

It has been brought to my attention that a big bad nasty baiting is going on here ... any witnesses I can torture for the truth of those absolutely shocking accusations? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW ... has this Don-guy really sold a light for $350 !?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
And one that doesn't even make real light for real men? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

bernie

L

LITEmania

Don :

Hv you made any UV torch with xLamp UVV of CREE ?

warren,

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Billson,
I don't recall seeing any lumen maintenance specs on the Cree 7090UV so I don't really know. I believe Newbie has been kicking the poop out of a bench test sample so he may have an idea. It seems to be rather stout and the price is simply fantastic provided you don't need the lower wave length! I think Wayne does have plans to offer the A-19 head alone but you would need to follow up with him or Cindy on that.

The Cree 7090 UV has a peak pass band range of 390 - 410 nm as I recall and the LED's that Wayne and I got were binned at 395. I believe the power out is reported to be 190 to 200 mW. The Nichia on the other hand is between 360 and 370 nm and these parts I got were in the 130 to 154 mW as I stated above. In terms of visible light as well as objects that flouresce under both wave lengths, the Cree has significantly more visual impact. However the absence of visible as well as its lower wave length allows the Nichia to provide information as well as cure certain adhesives and sealants that the Cree just can't touch.

It will be interesting to hear Larry's take on comparing the two in scorpian country! I would guess that the Cree might be a more useful tool since its visible output does give you some feel for the terrain. OTOH, if the scorpions flouresce better at lower wave lengths, the Nichia will spot light just them and leave the rest of the landscape in shadow.

Now in terms of being overhyped, over priced and aperature restricted, these are the least of *my* worries! I found a sucker and now I just have to hope that the parts stick together long enough to pass through the warranty period. Wait! There is no warranty! Hey! We be cool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Did I mention that this light has a special space age plating film of nano bonded diamond particles with the aluminium oxide hard coat which provides a Rockwell 1000 hardness and yet is baby bottom smooth and pliant to the point that in a 2 mile drop from a hot air ballon onto solid granite, the light just bounced with nary a scratch? This light was expensive but it was so feature rich and laden with unmentioned features that it is actually a steal! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif If it actually works, it was a heck of a deal!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Yes, Bernie, I was sucked into buying a flashlight that emits next to no visable photons! I'm liable to fall down and hurt myself while trying to use it! (That's for real, when you consider a scorpion-hunting expedition involves walking around with it while looking for them suckers subsequent to the consumption of alcohol!) Moderator, do your duty! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif Cool thing is, I'll probably get to try it on the "indoor range" on tuesday! As to that Don guy, I'll probably give him another flashlight!

(not to mention, I have some UV-curing adhesives at my disposal!)

Larry

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Yes, Don made the Aleph19 head specifically for the Cree 7090 UV LED.

Aleph19UV018.jpg

A-2-A-19-comparison.jpg

Aleph19 UV head is on the left

This is a SF E-Series compatible head that runs on 1x123 at 330mA fully regulated and is sold at the Sandwich Shoppe IIRC.

Aleph19UV035.jpg

Beamshot of the reflected portion of the light vs. the Inova. Beam quality, throw and output are significantly higher.

Read more about it here

Aleph-FAQ ... which is the modular light system this light we are discussing is a part of.

For further questions ... feel free to ask /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bernie

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif I was hunting and pecking while you were posting. At least, I will be able to add a little to the knowlege base for scorpion-hunting!

Larry

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Warren,
I designed a new reflector and head, the aleph 19 specifically based on the Cree 7090. As luck would have it this reflector has turned out to be much more flexible than I had expected! You can see some info on it, HERE .
In fact if money grew on trees, I would get a new head, the Aleph-19L made along with a spacer stand off to allow folks to host a LuxIII LE with this reflector with the image in lign with the focal point of the reflector. This deep and short focal length reflector throws the corona beter and brighter than any other reflector I have played with.

Visible portion beam shot of the Cree 7090UV:

7090UV-Beam.jpg

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Hey ... you are all typing faster than my weary eyes can read! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

My reply above was intended for Warren /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bernie

P.S.: as we haven't any scorpions here I can just add that the Cree UV is a blast and fun toy and much stronger than the Inova X5T-UV. Waiting for Larry reporting in after having fallen over his feet while using the no-light light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

EDIT: at least Don is slower than me ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But he is a lot more fun on a picnic!

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hey,
I am too slow too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Are we off topic or do we need to dwell on the fact that Larry got suckered some more? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

EDIT: Bernhard, blow it out your nether orifice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

L

LITEmania

Don : Thanks for info. Kept your link and will study. Here SCI in Korea seems to be blessed less in choice of UV torches.

Thanks to Kiessling, too. Use more than two fingers when you type...LOL..

warren,

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don,

Do you mean that I will need a spacer to use the Aleph 19 with a LuxIII LE for it to focus properly? I was hoping for it to be just a drop in replacement.

Btw, you missed my other question. Do you know what the rated lifespan of a UV led is, in this case, the one from Cree that you're using?

Thanks.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Billson,
you can do a straight drop in with the A-19 and get a flood beam with the LuxIII. however you can get a spot and flood if the reflector is moved significantly away from the LuxIII.

I caught your question. Lumen maintenance is the "life span".