HDS Systems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Nasty" blue laser at school...

Default \"Nasty\" blue laser at school...

Why are people so dumb to think a colored led is a laser? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img], The same that are always asking if that red, blue, green or whatever color led of the day may be, will harm their eyes?

I was leaving my kids at school the other day and there was a lady(Teacher) talking with the principal about the "really bad" kid that brought a "nasty blue laser" to school.

Blue laser?...this might be interesting, I tought, Looking at the weapon of terror, it turned out to be a piece of a write in the dark pen with a very dim blue led. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I waited a bit after leaving the kids to say hi to the principal and tell about the blue led she had confiscated.

Led? It's a laser! she said, we talked several minutes about the difference of leds and lasers, and being a flashaholic the end point was me getting a real red laser out and a red led and shinning them at a wall. After the demo it was pretty clear to her about the difference, and the "poor bad kid" with the nasty blue laser didn't get suspended over it.

Maybe it was my good action for the day.

AlexGT

Flashaholic*

Default Re: \"Nasty\" blue laser at school...

This is what we get for entrusting the future of our country [and our children] to one of the worst paid professions in the country. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]

At least the principal was reasonable.

Note: I am not attacking teachers in general, mostly they have to be very dedicated to what they are doing for so little pay. I just wish we paid them a bit more considering that they really control our future.

Flashaholic*

EVERYBODY wants the BEST PAID and HIGHEST QUALIFIED teachers. Small class size, a wide selection of skill building courses for the students.

That is until the local and state governments say "Fine... Just let me raise you property/sales tax by 10-20% to pay for it."

That will put an end to most of the education reforms that will REALLY make a difference and we are left with a series of shell games.

wwglen

Flashaholic*

Alex- good thing you didn't get suspended instead for bringing a "nasty red laser" to school [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif[/img].

I think I'm a little old to get suspended or have no recess, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif[/img]

AlexGT

Good for you, Alex. You saved that kid and his parents from some undeserved humiliation. I hope the teacher and/or principal APOLOGIZED to that poor child for getting so hysterical over nothing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Back around 1985, I was going through regulatory headaches with UL, CE, and stuff over LED's and Lasers...

They were trying to make me label LED indicator equipped computers as Lasers... They were getting all upset about LED Lasers and LEDs were probably the same thing and they both had to be regulated to protect everyone's eyes.

Also, ran into problems with new products and European and the use of RED LEDs... Basically, RED means stop or some life-threatening situation--Yea, on a crane or a metal punch. Not the idiot lights on a voice mail system.

Glad you were able to educate somebody and save a person from some pretty bad (and wrongly applied) consequences.

-Bill

Alex, fantastic!

I'm all grown up with my own kids going to school now, and of all the authority figures I've butted heads with over the years, school administration and teachers were the worst.

Alex, your a hero!

"Teachers are the worst".... Not really!, you just need to know how to get to them, I usually bring 2-3 dozen donuts the first day of school, since I know most of them did not eat breakfast because they were trying to finish the last details before class starts, they love them.

Another thing a good teacher friend told me is to donate some office supplies like hanging folders, transparency paper(Teachers love the overhead) or an electric pencil sharpener, doesn't have to be new and don't cost much but they will be very grateful the whole year towards you and be much easier to deal with in case my kids get in trouble.

At school almost all teachers know me because of the occasional donuts.

AlexGT

Thank you for helping 'educate' those in the business! At least there are a couple of people out there now who are not so susceptible to the "laser hysteria". (I don't hang out in the laser forum but I wouldn't like to see unnecessary panic over what is considered a safe device such as a LED).

After all, anybody who sits in front of a computer is sitting with a whole bunch of LEDs. Used to be orange and red, now available in a whole spectrum of colors. There are three LEDs on most keyboards.. just look [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    KevinL said:
    ...There are three LEDs on most keyboards.. just look [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
    There are at least nine LEDs on my keyboard, and another in the monitor - both of which I have in close proximity. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    O, and there are two Luxeon desk lamps here - also in close proximity. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I could probably get away with smuggling my blue laser module into a school, as it hardly ever works. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Craig;
    Weren't those genuine blue lasers several hundred dollars in cost?

[/ QUOTE ]
    There are at least nine LEDs on my keyboard, and another in the monitor - both of which I have in close proximity. [/QUOTE]

Hmm, lemme see... (click) OHMIGOD I shot my eye out with the capslock key!!!
    Veni vidi velcro

Rant Re: \"Nasty\" blue laser at school...

Quote Originally Posted by vcal
    Craig;
    Weren't those genuine blue lasers several hundred dollars in cost?
    $960.00 to be exact - too bad the PWPOSMF hardly ever works properly. : :toliet: :toliet: :

Flashaholic

Thumbs up Re: "Nasty" blue laser at school...

Don't get me started on the "laser" in the optical out (TOSLINK) port of CD/MD/DVD players....

Good work Alex !

Crimeny.

Cheers,
    Bob

Default Re: "Nasty" blue laser at school...

Some of the TOSLINK spigots I've seen lately use lasers (the older ones appeared to be LEDs). They look like 650-670nm to my semi-calibrated eye. I wonder if they're VCSELS.
    Veni vidi velcro

Flashaholic

This irks me as well. One of my pet hates is people calling optical mice "laser mice". People going around calling optical mice "laser mice" is one thing, but what really annoyed me was when my little sister told me that her IT teacher had told her class in "parts of the computer" that optical mice work by shining a laser. I guess it doesn't really matter in this case, but it bugs me when a teacher, someone who people trust to be right, goes saying things that are wrong. No wonder people think that anything red is a laser. A high intensity red led != laser.

/end rant

Doesn't Logitec actually make a "laser mouse"? Scarily enough I've also seen flashlights like SL Scorpion referred to as "laser light".

-LT
    lunal tic (n)
    a distinctive behavioral trait or quirk directly related to or caused by light [15th cent. Latin lunaris. Ultimately from an IE word meaning “light,”] and [Early 19th cent. Italian ticchio.] see also: moon quirk

Flashaholic

Yes they do but it uses an infrared laser so it doesn't count. Since it's invisible people probably call it a "magic mouse" or something because lasers can only be red.

"Magic Mouse" I like it. Can I use it? I've got a bunch of people to teach about computers at the office and they'll love that.

-LT
    lunal tic (n)
    a distinctive behavioral trait or quirk directly related to or caused by light [15th cent. Latin lunaris. Ultimately from an IE word meaning “light,”] and [Early 19th cent. Italian ticchio.] see also: moon quirk

Quote Originally Posted by That_Guy
    This irks me as well. One of my pet hates is people calling optical mice "laser mice". People going around calling optical mice "laser mice" is one thing, but what really annoyed me was when my little sister told me that her IT teacher had told her class in "parts of the computer" that optical mice work by shining a laser. I guess it doesn't really matter in this case, but it bugs me when a teacher, someone who people trust to be right, goes saying things that are wrong. No wonder people think that anything red is a laser. A high intensity red led != laser.

/end rant
    Hmmm.. the academics occasionally need a fact check. Actually, make that often and necessarily in this advancing world of computer technology.

LEDs are not lasers, 100% agreed.

Check out Logitech's white paper and product briefings here. Products include the MX1000, G5 and G7 mice. Looks like it'll solve the problems some of my 5mm LED-based Logitech mice have while tracking on smoother surfaces.
    Last edited by KevinL; 09-05-2005 at 08:34 AM.
    Celebrating the ROP.. 5 years of history

I was shining my green x1 around at a concert and people said, "hey turn that laser off" The security would have taken it away, but then it's clearly not a laser.

Flashaholic*

makes me want to go buy a green lux 3 for my q3. who knows maybe I can tell them its a out of focus laser

I think that one of the characteristics of LEDs that makes them appear to look laser-like in appearance is their highly monochromatic "crisp" look, particularly the colored ones. Since the average person doesn't understand the difference between coherent light and non-coherent, they just see something that looks markedly different from regular light and they assume it must be a laser. I can understand this although it only points out their need to be educated on the matter, if for no other reason than to quash the hysterical reactions that can happen.
    Veni vidi velcro

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler
    Some of the TOSLINK spigots I've seen lately use lasers (the older ones appeared to be LEDs). They look like 650-670nm to my semi-calibrated eye. I wonder if they're VCSELS.

Have you seen this on any consumer products? I've seen some Toshiba OEM modules with lasers for very high data rate/long runs (500m), but I've never or seen or heard of one on a consumer product for S/PDIF (audio) use. The laser version I've seen also uses a completely different (two-fiber) connector (it is a VCSEL, btw) and is IR:

http://www.semicon.toshiba.co.jp/eng...f/bee0045a.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by BobVA
    Have you seen this on any consumer products? I've seen some Toshiba OEM modules with lasers for very high data rate/long runs (500m), but I've never or seen or heard of one on a consumer product for S/PDIF (audio) use. The laser version I've seen also uses a completely different (two-fiber) connector (it is a VCSEL, btw) and is IR:

http://www.semicon.toshiba.co.jp/eng...f/bee0045a.pdf
    The current iteration of S/A's 8300 DVR uses a laser in the single-fiber optical output port. I think the newer 8000-HD DVRs are also using lasers. They appear to be fairly weak, probably a milliwatt or less, but there's that distinctive speckle pattern present when I push the little plastic shutter out of the way and peek into the port.
    Veni vidi velcro

Grinser2 Re: "Nasty" blue laser at school...

VCSELs are, to the best of my knowledge, available only in NIR and IR wavelengths; the shortest wavelength one I'm aware of emits at 780.5nm - very nearly the same wavelength as the diode laser in a CD player emits.

Externally, they look a lot like 5mm LEDs in water-clear epoxy packages, as the photograph below shows.

Flashaholic

The current iteration of S/A's 8300 DVR uses a laser in the single-fiber optical output port. I think the newer 8000-HD DVRs are also using lasers. They appear to be fairly weak, probably a milliwatt or less, but there's that distinctive speckle pattern present when I push the little plastic shutter out of the way and peek into the port.

Interesting! I just shot you a PM on this.

Cheers,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Lunal_Tic
    "Magic Mouse" I like it. Can I use it? I've got a bunch of people to teach about computers at the office and they'll love that.

-LT
    I can't find it on the web (it's on my little desktop calendar though) the Dilbert cartoon strip "Mouse Training" dated 9/05/02 APPLIES!!!
    -"Must control self"-