• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Largest 5W still in use?

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of 5W BB750's and one 5W DB917 but was wondering what's the largest 5W still in use? I seem to remember somebody having a 5W BB1000. How much current does a BB1000 draw from the battery? A BB750 draws about 1.8A.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Bill, being those drivers you mentioned are constant current drivers, the actual cell(s) used will determine the current draw. Without knowing the battery(ies) being used, we can't really estimate battery current draw to answer your question.

I do have a 5W (WX1T) with a DB1000 in an LED module for a SureFire M4 Turbo Head (look at my avatar!) and it can work with 2 rechargable cells (barelly), 3, or 4 (absolute maximum!). As you can expect, the current draw gets smaller the more cells I use. I don't have numbers here in front of me at the moment but I "think" it was around 350-400mA with the 4 cells ;)

Will

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
wquiles said:
Bill, being those drivers you mentioned are constant current drivers, the actual cell(s) used will determine the current draw. Without knowing the battery(ies) being used, we can't really estimate battery current draw to answer your question.

I do have a 5W (WX1T) with a DB1000 in an LED module for a SureFire M4 Turbo Head (look at my avatar!) and it can work with 2 rechargable cells (barelly), 3, or 4 (absolute maximum!). As you can expect, the current draw gets smaller the more cells I use. I don't have numbers here in front of me at the moment but I "think" it was around 350-400mA with the 4 cells ;)

Will
Will:

Okay, Li-Ion cells. I've checked the current with prime cells also but don't remember how much of a difference there was. It's been some time, have to do that again!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The MR-X by hotbeam punched 1.5A through the emitter and the (unregulated) SNII by MrBulk should be in the same league.
Just in case you did not limit your question to BB and DB drivers with the LuxV.
bernie

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Fatmag has a WX1S and the modded Fatman is pushing 1.5A through the poor led. ;)

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason for the post is that I ordered two of the new Saphion cells to just play with. They are for high current applications and I'll have to test them on my CBA-II. I'm just guessing that a BB1000 would draw over 2A from a Li-Ion cell. These cells may or may not be usable for this application and may not be any better or worse than a 2400mAh LG18650.

These cells are also 18650 size too! I made a rough sketch "many" months ago for a oversize battery pack, threaded in the center to load the cell. I can either go that route or make a adapter ring for a SF U2 to mount a Aleph/McLux head on the SF U2 since it'll handle the fatter cell.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
wquiles said:

Will
Will:

Just tested the current from a SF 123A cell in a 5W BB750 and got a fluctuating reading between 1.75A-1.78A. Since I was not using my Fluke 189, to lazy to go downstairs but was using a brand new Fluke 88V, I checked it with a RCR123. I got 1.8A, the same as the 189 read. Not much difference between prime and RCR123 cells.

seattlite

Enlightened
Hmmmm....now I'm really confused. I thought the regulator, was what fed the LED at chosen current. So, I thought a BB750 should feed the LED a constant 750ma, and a BB1000 should feed the LED 1A. :confused:

wquiles

Flashaholic
seattite, Bill is measuring current out of the battery into the converter, not the actual current into the LED.

Lets see if the math holds up:

- 750mA * 6.7 (approx vf for 5W) = 5.0 watts

- lets say the converter is about 85% efficient, so to put out 5.0 watts, the power going into the converter should be about => 5.0 / (0.85) = 5.9 watts.

- lets say now that the LiIon cell is fully charged and will drop from a no-load of 4.15 volts or so to about 3.7 volts under load. To give 5.9 watts from 3.7 volts, the approx. current would be => 5.9 / 3.7 = 1.6 amps (approx.)

So the 1.7A/1.8A is actually pretty close to that "theory" would say it should be, once you account for the actual vf of the LED and the actual voltage under load for the LiIon cell that bill is using :)

Will

Latest posts