Surefire U2 - donut hole

Xeper

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

last week I bought a SF U2. I´m very pleased with this flashlight. But there is a slight "donut-hole" in the middle of the hotspot. As far as I know, this is normal for LuxV. Are there other U2´s with no donut hole?

Thanks

jtice

Flashaholic
all have a "hole"
some worse than others i hear.
Mine is fine for me though, good for a 5Wer I think.

Mines not really a HOLE, its just less bright in the middle ;)
after 15 feet or so you shouldnt see it much, if at all.

DDS

Enlightened
Hi: I too, received my U2 last week but mine had a large "donut" hole in the center. I have read on this forum that there were others that did not have this problem. Other guys modified their lights by shimming and O ring placement. Seems like most guys aren't bothered by it unless 'white wall hunting'. It wasn't noticeable when I used it outdoors but inside it really bothered me. I called Surefire and they are replacing the LED for me. They stated that a small donut could be expected in the Lux V. Hope this helps! Dave

DDS

Enlightened
jtice: wish mine was just a small "hole". BTW, my hole seemed to get larger with increased distance! It was so noticeable , I couldn't handle it :)... but I am anal too!
The U2 sure is a great light though. Wish they had indexed and labeled the variable setting ring.

jtice

Flashaholic
The "hole" does get larger with distance,
but, it also defuses, do its less noticable,,, to me anyway.

Heres a shot of mine.
(colors may be off alittle)

U2_Group1.sized.jpg

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
My U2 has a slight hole if I'm looking at a white wall.
During normal use I don't even notice it !!!

socom45

Newly Enlightened
I've had my u2 for a little while now, and maybe I'm slow, or just not familiar with this "donut hole" as the only thing I can see in my beam (when shining on a wall) is a little faint dark spot in the very center. When outside though, this is not seen...only the nice bright, crisp white (with very slightly and almost HID blue tint) can be seen. As far as imperfections, there are none visible while outside unless you are on the receiving end...especially if your eyes are adjusted for low light conditions before the blast. Even then you only see stars and spots but no donut holes. Seriously though, IMHO this is what really matters. Otherwise, to worry about something so simple then causes some to start fixing things that aren't actually broken, thus defeating the whole point of spending lots of money on something that is 1st grade quality merchandise. If there is a true defect I'd have thought surefire would take care of it. I only say this because I too am a person who is really picky and want only the best.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few 5W Luxeon lights escape the hole, I've been lucky with my U2. It's got a good solid hot spot, nice and white. It doesn't even get very green at lower levels. My L5 is like my U2, my L4 has a larger hotspot with very consistent tint, and my X200B has a slightly larger hotspot than my L4, with an ever-so-slight darker tinge to the middle.

I'd say the X200B has the worst hotspot of all of 'em if shining on a flat white wall, but it's not noticable unless you really look.

The reason for the "donut" is that there are 4 dies on the Luxeon, in a 2x2 pattern. This leaves a small area in the geometric center of the Luxeon that gives off no light. If the reflector is shimmed out even 0.5mm, it can make enough difference to have a near perfect beam (no beam is perfect).