Klarus

Thread: Any CPFer in regieon of Katrina...

Unhappy Any CPFer in affected area of Katrina...

Any member in that area is OK ?

Every summer ends up with hurricane....

warren,
    Last edited by LITEmania; 08-30-2005 at 01:51 AM. Reason: spell check
    Tracking. Select "International Registered Item." at Tracking Type selection.

Default Re: Any CPFer in regieon of Katrina...

if anyone was in the path they likely have no connection to the net even if they have emergency power.

i am always looking for old radios and tv sets.tube stuff.ham gear.i repair all the above.
    email me for more info. SPAMMERS WILL BE PUNISHED!

Quote Originally Posted by snakebite
    if anyone was in the path they likely have no connection to the net even if they have emergency power.
    That's what I would think also.

We were some of the last in this area to lose power. It went down at 4:20 pm. I threw the transfer switch and hooked the generator into the house wiring, and got ready for what I figured was 2 days w/o power.

2 hours later it came back on, along with my cable connection.

I don't think the rest of the state was so lucky though.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Tree and SubUmbra.

Excuse me while I pass out....

has anyone seen the latest news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOLA's levees failed. 80% city under water

oil platform wedged under i89(?) bridge.

oil tanker run aground and leaking

This is worse than anyone thought.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Hit www.cnn.com and watch the coverage on video.

I'm the hardest person I know and it still breaks my heart.

God help these people.. all of them.
    Celebrating the ROP.. 5 years of history

Unhappy Re: Any CPFer in region of Katrina...

two that I know of: Chop is in Metairie (just West of the city) and revolvergeek is in NO I think ... both great guys and i hope they and theirs are OK

the pictures lI've seen look just awful, like the Midwest floods of the early 90s but worse

turbodog, glad you didn't get hammered by it

keeping my fingers crossed hard ...

hideo
    "Look! Look! If you look really hard at things, you'll forget you're going to die."
    ~Montgomery Clift~

My family and I live in LaPlace, LA in St. John the Baptist Parish. My family and I were able to evacuate to Bossier City, LA which is in the northwest corner of the state. From what I have been able to get, I have found out that the area where my house is have little to no flodding with NO water in the houses and little to no wind damage. Right now, my area has water and phone service and should have power in 3-5 days. We can go home in the next couple of days. Moving east, my wife's brother lives in Metairie which is right next to New Orleans. His house is under water as well as his in-laws house. There is no way to know when he will be able to get back home. Further east, my wife's mother and step father live in Waveland, MS. When I was watching the track as Katrina moved on land, I could see that the storms eye crossed almost dead center over there area. They live 3 blocks off of the beach. We do not know the status of ther home, but we are almost sure that it is not there anymore. So, I have some good news and some bad news and probably a full house for the next few months. But, at least none of my family lost there lives...and that truly is the best thing that has happened in this storm.
    Andrew

Default Re: Any CPFer in region of Katrina...

now I'm thoroughly depressed:

http://www.nola.com/

http://deadlykatrina.com/

my thoughts go out for any of you that got hammered by this

hideo
    "Look! Look! If you look really hard at things, you'll forget you're going to die."
    ~Montgomery Clift~

Prayers go out to everyone affected by Katrina.
    MOLON LABE!

My god! My heart goes out to the families in those states, God be with them.

AlexGT

Agree! Please God, help these people! I didn't get hurt bad, but Allison wasn't too good for Houston a few years ago....

Default Re: Any CPFer in region of Katrina...

Quote Originally Posted by hideo
    now I'm thoroughly depressed:

http://www.nola.com/

http://deadlykatrina.com/

my thoughts go out for any of you that got hammered by this

hideo
    Scrolling down in the second link - talking about some police officers & fire fighters joining in the "looting"...sad, sad, sad!!!

My heart, prayers, & positive thoughts to ALL involved!!!
    -"Must control self"-

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog
    Excuse me while I pass out....

has anyone seen the latest news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOLA's levees failed. 80% city under water

oil platform wedged under i89(?) bridge.

oil tanker run aground and leaking

This is worse than anyone thought.
    Unfortunately it's not worse than anyone thought, though I expect most people didn't think it would have been this bad. If it had been a direct hit on New Orleans or a category 5 instead of 4.... it could have been worse than 9/11.

People should have been evacuated by train for free and set up in FEMA camps. This country is a superpower and has the ability and money to have done that. It was clear that this was going to be very bad since it was known that about 100,000 people wouldn't have the money to evacuate and the city is below sea level.

I remember some CPF members being from Louisiana and IIRC Alabama and Mississippi. Some are LEO's. These folks have to leave their families when they least want to. Some of these guys along with other public servants and utility crew members probably will not see a lot of their families for some time. Some to whom it is just a job may not show the best side, others will do many unrecorded deeds that will only be remembered a long while later.

I will pray that they are given endurance, peaceful rest when they can, someone to care for their families, the respect they deserve and "everybody goes home."

I was watching CNN and saw a man and his two young children wandering aimlessly in the streets in Biloxi (I think). They were stranded in high flood waters and were clinging to each other to avoid being washed away, but as they tried to hang on, his wife said "I can't hold on any longer! Please take care of the kids..." and then he watched in horror as she lost her grip and... floated away....

Words fail me.

Hug your family tonight.
    Veni vidi velcro

will watch for updates about our members there. I hope all are ok
    The Creator of the protected RCR123

There is at least 1 more member, rick258, who lives in Metairie about a mile from Chop.

I've started a check in thread for the LA/MS/Alabama members.

Bill
    Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
    Benjamin Franklin

BigBoy, Chop, rick258, Vhyper007, xraydoc are residence of LA/MS/AL.

How are you guys holding up? If you're online, please let us know your current situation and if there are anything we can help.

Chop seems to be need our aid.

warren
    Tracking. Select "International Registered Item." at Tracking Type selection.

Hi all,

Tree here (Billy), had to register under a new name since I am on a borrowed laptop. Me and my family are in Lafayette staying with relatives. I haven't been to my house yet, but from some stories I have heard and from talking to a neighbor that knows a LEO who stayed it doesn't look like much flood damage to my street, a few inches at most if anything in the house. I don't know about wind damage.

The city looks horrible as I'm sure you all can see from the news. We were in Ponchatula at the request of my mom, got there Saturday night. At that point we didn't think we would be gone more than a few days coming home Tuesday or Wednesday. By Sunday we knew it would be bad and wished we brought more stuff with us. Monday morning the power went out and after a very hot night, Tuesday morning they said the water was being shut down so we left. We didn't see any of the damage until Tuesday night.

Anyway, prayers and thoughts are going out to all those still in the city or area. The looting is rediculous, but considering some of the people who stayed it is expected. I could understand taking baby food, diapers, and supplies to stay alive, but I saw ppl walking away with TV's and other electronics that can't even be used for at least a month. I hope my house is not hit. We left our two cats, again thinking we would be back for them in several days. They should have plenty food and water for the week, but I hope the heat doesn't get to them.

www.wwltv.com has a forum for people searching for people and also has updates on specific areas.

I don't know what the future will bring. I can't work because I am still healing from knee and ankle surgery two weeks ago, and my wifes job is in question since it was based in Kenner and dealt with many places that basically don't exist right now.

Even after we can go back, then what? Sorry to vent here, but this is an immense weight on me right now.

As soon as we can see the damage to my house, I'll register with FEMA. I tried today, but it asked about damage and I couldn't finish the application.
    Last edited by Tree_2; 08-31-2005 at 02:45 PM.

I just wanted to add http://www.scipionus.com/ has a map where you can find specific info on places that are reported by locals.

As soon as we can see the damage to my house, I'll register with FEMA. I tried today, but it asked about damage and I couldn't finish the application.
    Dang! There's a nasty catch22! If some folks are not allowed back for months.................

The relief required on this scale is unprecedented and it will take some unified effort and unprecedented and special programs and out of the box thinking to manage, support and effect needed relief. I hope the people and our leaders are up to the task. Beyond the funding required, the man hours and resources needed in clean up and rebuilding are stagering. As time moves on the damage to the infrastructure will spread beyond the path of the storm and we all will feel the impact. Hopefully there will be means available for all of us to aid in the mend; financial contributions being only one avenue.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

We should be allowed back on Monday at 6am to asses the damage, get whatever we want to bring with us and leave. Hopefully that won't turn into a situation in and of itself.

And P.S. Replies will be few and far between from me. I will be staying at a camp without landline phone service.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler
    I was watching CNN and saw a man and his two young children wandering aimlessly in the streets in Biloxi (I think). They were stranded in high flood waters and were clinging to each other to avoid being washed away, but as they tried to hang on, his wife said "I can't hold on any longer! Please take care of the kids..." and then he watched in horror as she lost her grip and... floated away....

Words fail me.

Hug your family tonight.
    We had this guy on german TV today... It's so sad- My thoughts go out to all of those who lost friends, relatives, their home...
    All this makes you notice how small our everday problems are...

Chrisse

I believe that Mike AKA Chief Wiggum just moved somewhere around New Orleans IIRC also.

mut
    ----------------
    DON'T QUESTION OUR BEHAVIOR TRUST US

Tree -

Checked in late to this thread.

If you read this please post your PayPal addy. Yeah, I know you are all OK but running around the countryside can sap your account quick. I need to send you a couple of bucks.

Going to stay at a campsite for a while? That's innovative.

- Jeff